Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My custom Rx hump pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My custom Rx hump pack

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Soldering battery cells works best if you use a heavy tip on your soldering iron: it stores more heat than a small tip.
The faster you can solder, the better for the cell: batteries don't like excessive heat. That means a big iron.
Properly sand the battery terminals: they're likely to be nickel plated against corrosion.
Use an etching compound, this really helps, but you have to wash the remains off afterwards.
First tin the battery terminals and the wire seperately, solder them together afterwards.

That about sums it up.
I wouldn't suggest this to someone with no technique...from someone that's soldered for so long at such a high level. Giving anyone with no experience a hot iron and large tip is just *asking* for a burnt piece. [:'(]

And you don't need to sand or etch on the terminals. I didn't on this pack I made here.

Now you are correct about tinning both the battery and wire before putting them together. That is great technique that not many follow.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, if you use too small an iron, you're gonna be frying your cells. I'm not saying you should use a 150W gutter soldering tool. I'm saying you should use a decent temp controlled iron, at least 35 to 40 watts strong, set at no more than 280-290 degrees C (535-555 degrees F) when using standard 60/40 Sn/Pb resin core solder.
The bigger tip has more heat capacity at low temps, so it won't cool down below soldering temp.

My experience is that an etching compound helps when soldering cells with resin core solder. I always use it. It cuts down the time needed to tin the terminals, and again less heat into your cells is better.

Sanding "may not" be needed, but it sure helps. Bare metal works best, and you never know what these cells are coated with. It certainly won't hurt anything!

But that's just my 0.02$
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
go-to

Well, if you use too small an iron, you're gonna be frying your cells. I'm not saying you should use a 150W gutter soldering tool. I'm saying you should use a decent temp controlled iron, at least 35 to 40 watts strong, set at no more than 280-290 degrees C (535-555 degrees F) when using standard 60/40 Sn/Pb resin core solder.
The bigger tip has more heat capacity at low temps, so it won't cool down below soldering temp.

My experience is that an etching compound helps when soldering cells with resin core solder. I always use it. It cuts down the time needed to tin the terminals, and again less heat into your cells is better.

Sanding "may not" be needed, but it sure helps. Bare metal works best, and you never know what these cells are coated with. It certainly won't hurt anything!

But that's just my 0.02$
[Sarcasm mode on]

Thanks for the lesson...very very helpful to me.

[/Sarcasm mode off]

Man I wanna say more, but I'll let it go if you will. I certainly don't need a lesson in basic soldering skills. [8D]
Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings...

Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 PM
go-to

Well, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings...

Ya didn't. That was the point.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:27 PM
nghtrdr

hmmm...
me likes!
great work man.
i use those same cells in my tx they last forever.
my question is about charging. if i make this pack (im not too bad at soldering) can i charge it using my Team Orion Avionics advanced flight charger (#ORI62200). what charge current should be used? can i still fast charge?
hxxp://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Advantage+Chargers/Advanced+Flight+Charger

thnx and again great work!
nightrider
Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: nghtrdr

hmmm...
me likes!
great work man.
i use those same cells in my tx they last forever.
my question is about charging. if i make this pack (im not too bad at soldering) can i charge it using my Team Orion Avionics advanced flight charger (#ORI62200). what charge current should be used? can i still fast charge?
hxxp://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Advantage+Chargers/Advanced+Flight+Charger

thnx and again great work!
nightrider
You certainly can use that charger. I charge my pack at 2.2amps which doesn't heat up the pack too much and makes for a long-lasting pack. I never found it necessary to charge above 1c which would be 2.5amps in this case.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
nghtrdr

cool
thnx for the info!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Hey, what do you mean by 1C charge? Is that coulombs or something? My duratrax charger is in amps, so when I saw you guys using C it threw me for a loop.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
go-to

ORIGINAL: brett65

Hey, what do you mean by 1C charge? Is that coulombs or something? My duratrax charger is in amps, so when I saw you guys using C it threw me for a loop.
1C for a 2500mAh pack would be 2.5amps. 2C would be 5amps. See?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
brett65

ORIGINAL: go-to

1C for a 2500mAh pack would be 2.5amps. 2C would be 5amps. See?
Oh! It's dependent upon the battery! Seems like I learn something new everyday!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
go-to

Oh! It's dependent upon the battery! Seems like I learn something new everyday!
Man you got that right...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 PM
brett65

Thought I would share that I saw that Rayovac has rechargeable 2400mAh AA Nimh batteries now, 5 bucks for four and they will work in the energizer recharger or with an rc charger.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
go-to

Thought I would share that I saw that Rayovac has rechargeable 2400mAh AA Nimh batteries now, 5 bucks for four and they will work in the energizer recharger or with an rc charger.
Thanks.

I've used them and the Duracell batteries with no success. They've both performed poorly for me. The Energizer has been the best I've found.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
BL4

I have thought of doing this but I am not sure if there is enough current to use it in my application? I have a HPI Baja 5B that comes with a 6V 2000mAH NiCad hump pack that uses Sub-C cells. It lasts about an hour and a half run time. The Baja uses a high torque steering servo (SFL-10) and a smaller (SF-4) throttle/brake servo so I assume it uses more current than most.

I get 4 Duracell 2650mAh (AA/HR6/DC1500 NiMH/1.2v) batteries for $10 bucks so it would be cheaper than purchasing a hump pack for this but would it work for this application? Not sure if 5 of those batteries could supply enough current fast enough? I have lots of room in the Rx box, perhaps I could even fit 10 of these batteries in it. How could I wire it for this application and would it supply enough current to for a longer run time than the 6V 2000mAH NiCad pack that comes with it?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM
yoster

Nice one Go-To. I use those exact cells (only 4 of them) for Rx packs in my gliders. Works well because they're heavier than the typical Rx packs (which is a good thing in my gliders), and a looong time up there... probably too long because you get bored.

I was thinking of using them on the Savage but honestly didn't think they would fit.. I'll have to do as you did and trim the lid. Thanks for the pioneering!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: BL4

I have thought of doing this but I am not sure if there is enough current to use it in my application? I have a HPI Baja 5B that comes with a 6V 2000mAH NiCad hump pack that uses Sub-C cells. It lasts about an hour and a half run time. The Baja uses a high torque steering servo (SFL-10) and a smaller (SF-4) throttle/brake servo so I assume it uses more current than most.

I get 4 Duracell 2650mAh (AA/HR6/DC1500 NiMH/1.2v) batteries for $10 bucks so it would be cheaper than purchasing a hump pack for this but would it work for this application? Not sure if 5 of those batteries could supply enough current fast enough? I have lots of room in the Rx box, perhaps I could even fit 10 of these batteries in it. How could I wire it for this application and would it supply enough current to for a longer run time than the 6V 2000mAH NiCad pack that comes with it?

Thanks
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/2018/ There's the 3000mAh pack direct from HPI.

I'd buy that rather than make another one...that or make your own from sub-C cells at a higher rate like the new Elite 4700mAh cells for $6.25 each or the 4000mAh for $4.95 each.

Don't bother making a AA pack when the standard pack is sub-C. I'll make it for you if are unsure.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: yoster

Nice one Go-To. I use those exact cells (only 4 of them) for Rx packs in my gliders. Works well because they're heavier than the typical Rx packs (which is a good thing in my gliders), and a looong time up there... probably too long because you get bored.

I was thinking of using them on the Savage but honestly didn't think they would fit.. I'll have to do as you did and trim the lid. Thanks for the pioneering!
Thanks for the compliments!

I had the time issue in my Mini-T...dang thing would run forever!! The Energizer cells are really good quality.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM
BL4

Thanks, go-to. Never seen it mentioned on the larger scale forums but wanted to make sure.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 PM
xc7

Just wanted to say thanks to go-to for this thread. I was beginning to have problems with my venom hump pack yesterday so I finally had the chance to make my 5 cell hump pack today and it works like a charm.

Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: xc7

Just wanted to say thanks to go-to for this thread. I was beginning to have problems with my venom hump pack yesterday so I finally had the chance to make my 5 cell hump pack today and it works like a charm.

Thanks again!

You are welcome buddy!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM
jgeck90

I bet liquid tape would look and hold up beter than electrical tape. You wont have to worry about poking a hole in it or anything.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: jgeck90

I bet liquid tape would look and hold up beter than electrical tape. You wont have to worry about poking a hole in it or anything.
That was my prototype pack...they all come with heat-shrink now!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 AM
3-172IN MTN

I like this alot, however I am looking at the charger you use and that is a bit steep. Is there another wall charger that might be compatible? Something a bit less expensive?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 AM
jgeck90

ORIGINAL: go-to

ORIGINAL: jgeck90

That was my prototype pack...they all come with heat-shrink now!
Cool! so do you sell them? you said "they come with heat-shrink now"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.