Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl finally arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Super Mud
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: savage xl finally arrived!

Yea deffinetly go with the savage, you don't even have to get the XL, You won't have to worry about driveline parts, etc. (the really annoying breaks) happening. And it will be a different experiance too. Also.......it's not so @#$%%$ expensive! Unless you get the Xl.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 AM
DawgBone

ORIGINAL: Super Mud

Yea deffinetly go with the savage, you don't even have to get the XL, You won't have to worry about driveline parts, etc. (the really annoying breaks) happening. And it will be a different experiance too. Also.......it's not so @#$%%$ expensive! Unless you get the Xl.
SuperMud...what are you talking about?

LordMaccrage...look into either the LST2 or the Savage XL...Don't waist any more time...effort...or money on anything less...not even a X .....IMO
The XL doesn't have so many aftermarket parts, and stock parts may be a little hard to find right now(it' somewhat new)...the LST2 comes with decent servos and nice radio...and is way far better handling....Not to discredit the XL, as the truck does kick butt(fast..and umm...fast)...but it's flaws are the crap radio...crap servos...and seriously horrible turning radius....the engine is borderline shady as well as it will probably cause you more grief...compared to the LST2's Mach 427....

Clearly IMO though....but coming from a Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Savage.25, numourous LST's/LST2's, and now XL.....I think the LST2 really is the better buy....The XL is right there though for bashing....just it's radio and servos suck...
My old(shelf'ed for years) Revo... Picco .21 powered..resurrected for S&G's for this vid...
http://www.flemdawg.com/Movies2/Revo21.wmv
Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 AM
c_P

Just check on ebay if your looking for stock XL parts, people / well known sellers are parting out the truck left and right so I duno what you mean by it's hard to come by. As for aftermarket parts, alot of the XL parts are the same as the x 4.6. With that said, I'm betting if you wanted RPM arms you can buy the one for the X and put it on the XL. I'll find out for sure if it's possible tomororw since my buddy is getting an XL
Old 05-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Lord Maccrage

Thanks for the help guys. I dont really care if I have to spend a couple extra hundred bucks on a truck if it comes with more durable stock parts. I would rather have that then spend 100 a month on parts and labor (I dont really have time to fix things myself) THANKS
Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: c_P

Just check on ebay if your looking for stock XL parts, people / well known sellers are parting out the truck left and right so I duno what you mean by it's hard to come by. As for aftermarket parts, alot of the XL parts are the same as the x 4.6. With that said, I'm betting if you wanted RPM arms you can buy the one for the X and put it on the XL. I'll find out for sure if it's possible tomororw since my buddy is getting an XL
Very true. There's TONS of XL stuff on Ebay right now.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Lord Maccrage

I think i've got it down to 3 choices. Either the savage xl the lst2 or the gst 7.7. Do you guys have any input on this (there is so little information on the net)[&o]
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Lord Maccrage

with all the stuff you get with the gst 7.7 it seems like an amazing value, What do you guys think? And another thing all my local hobby shop wants to do is sell me traxxas[:@][:'(][:@][:'(] is this common? why does almost everyone think traxxas is the best? I own a revo 3.3 and its ok but not worth 550 bucks and I hate all their other trucks.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:33 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lord Maccrage

with all the stuff you get with the gst 7.7 it seems like an amazing value, What do you guys think? And another thing all my local hobby shop wants to do is sell me traxxas[:@][:'(][:@][:'(] is this common? why does almost everyone think traxxas is the best? I own a revo 3.3 and its ok but not worth 550 bucks and I hate all their other trucks.
Well, A LOT of people do like Traxxas. A LOT of hobby shops make a ton of money selling Traxxas products. It makes perfect sense for them to push it if it sells well for them. Anyways, the Revo has won a pro level championship every year since it was released. That $550 you paid got you a championship caliber monster truck right out of the box. With that said, I don't personally care for their stuff, but they do have a wide range of MTs, enough to make you take notice. Now that the E Revo is announced, Traxxas is one upping themselves on the competition because nobody has a 1/10th scale electric monster truck that can hang with it. You KNOW a brushless version of it and the E Maxx are going to be released sooner or later and that move will tip the scales in Traxxas' favor tremendously. You gotta admit, Traxxas has balls when it comes to releasing products.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Lord Maccrage

Yeah I guess your right. But it doesnt make it right for them to push me to buy a revo when I went in to buy something like a savage or gst 7.7 (something along those lines) and then have me waste my money on a truck that is not right for me and make me feel like it will perform as well as bashing trucks in terms of bashing and durability. If I want to race later i'll buy a racing truck but for now I just want to bash. Thanks for replying
Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Revomad1

They want to sell you a Traxxas truck because you will be in the shop every other day spending money on replacement parts for it! lol. I have both a revo and a savage x ss. I gave up on using the revo for off-road bashing and converted it to a street truck. The savage is the way to go for bashing. My boss has a CEN GST 7.7 and I'm not impressed. It uses twice as much fuel as a savage x 4.6 and it's slower and more cumbersome.

For those who are saying the 5.9 is not that powerful, wait until you get a couple of gallons through it. Larger displacement engines take a lot longer to break in and reach their full potential.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: Lord Maccrage

Yeah I guess your right. But it doesnt make it right for them to push me to buy a revo when I went in to buy something like a savage or gst 7.7 (something along those lines) and then have me waste my money on a truck that is not right for me and make me feel like it will perform as well as bashing trucks in terms of bashing and durability. If I want to race later i'll buy a racing truck but for now I just want to bash. Thanks for replying
It's your money,if they continue to tell you to get a traxxas just tell them that you dont care and it's your money and you want a truck you choose not them and if they wont sell it too you that you will buy from somewhere else.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Spudnik

ORIGINAL: DawgBone

LordMaccrage...look into either the LST2 or the Savage XL...Don't waist any more time...effort...or money on anything less...not even a X .....IMO
The XL doesn't have so many aftermarket parts, and stock parts may be a little hard to find right now(it' somewhat new)...the LST2 comes with decent servos and nice radio...and is way far better handling....Not to discredit the XL, as the truck does kick butt(fast..and umm...fast)...but it's flaws are the crap radio...crap servos...and seriously horrible turning radius....the engine is borderline shady as well as it will probably cause you more grief...compared to the LST2's Mach 427....

Clearly IMO though....but coming from a Tmaxx 2.5, Revo 2.5, Savage.25, numourous LST's/LST2's, and now XL.....I think the LST2 really is the better buy....The XL is right there though for bashing....just it's radio and servos suck...
My old(shelf'ed for years) Revo... Picco .21 powered..resurrected for S&G's for this vid...
Are kidding? the xl is almost all x based, parts will be VERY easy to find
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 PM
mmduc

well, i own a revo 3.3, a savagex w/ a k 4.6, and an lst2. i LOVE my savage xl, and i havnt switched it over to my fm radio yet. trust me. the savage xl is AWESOME. yes, the lst2 comes with a nice radio, but check out e bay, as fm radio's have dropped significantly on price because or the 2.4 craze. ive seen brand new jr 3 channel fm radios for $130. get the xl, you wont be disapointed, i absoulty love mine, and the more fuel you run thru it, the better it gets........... good luck on your choice
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Medrivfast

The XL is a beast. This thing just wheelies with less than 10 tanks of fuel through it.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
DawgBone

ORIGINAL: Spudnik

ORIGINAL: DawgBone

Are kidding? the xl is almost all x based, parts will be VERY easy to find

Geez...OK...I should be a little more specific for the dense next time. Just thought it was understood, that I was referring to your LHS....
You fry a diff...break an upright...or an axle...or like me, you break the friggen pins off the Roto wand....You are not going to go to your LHS to snag a part, so that you can keep running for the day...

Luckily, you can actually use the regular roto wand, by means of smashing the rear bumper in...

I still think the LST2 is the better buy....it comes with reverse too, if you're into that kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSGbsVVIoQ
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Sugafree

Good Video Dawgbone!!! (You need to set up a Jump in your back yard & hit it at WOT! )