Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 5.9 or GST 7.7?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 PM
ZEUS6971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 5.9 or GST 7.7?

Hi there...,

I have a ReAction and I'm about to buy a bigger truck.

But I'm looking for a heavy duty one.

Which one would you guys recommend?

TMaxx, Revo, Savage 5.9 or GST 7.7?

I prefer the GST 7.7 or the Savage 5.9.

I want thee most durable one, the one that won't break easy.

And the one that is 4WD and has reverse.

Thanks,

ZEUS.
[email protected]
203-858-2066
Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Hordsak

Default RE: Savage 5.9 or GST 7.7?

I own a Cen Matrix buggy, and I love it alot. But, the parts are hard to get. For this reason, I chose a Savage over a Cen GST. Parts for the Savage are plentiful around me, as opposed to the Cen. However, the Cen is a beastly truck that's for sure, and I do intend to own one in the future.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Super Mud
My Feedback: (1)

From what I've heard.....Cens are peices of crap. I would probobly go with the savage xl, the 5.9 engine is gonna be a better quality engine and maybe even more powerful just from the design. T-maxx and Revos are smaller and are not gonna be as heavy duty/ durable. I've had T-maxx experiance.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 PM
cheiro

Savage XL doesn't have rever installed and is smaller in size to the CEN, so go for then CEN.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Hordsak

ORIGINAL: Super Mud

From what I've heard.....Cens are peices of crap. I would probobly go with the savage xl, the 5.9 engine is gonna be a better quality engine and maybe even more powerful just from the design. T-maxx and Revos are smaller and are not gonna be as heavy duty/ durable. I've had T-maxx experiance.
Cen's are defiantly not pieces of crap. They're very good quality.. the only thing I would possibly question is their .26 engine. And to the guy above me, I have no idea what you've said, lay off the hard stuff.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:37 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will all come down to how much you want to spend. Seriously. On the otherhand, I'd like to tell you to go out and buy a Savage XL because I like Savages, but the sheer size of the CEN trucks is impressive enough to let me leave the decision up to you.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 AM
ZEUS6971

Money is not the issue.

I want the toughest.

Tks.

ZEUS.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 AM
ZEUS6971

What about the MGT 8.0?

Can anybody tell me anything about it?

Tks,

ZEUS.
[email protected]
203-858-2066
Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Sparco

if your looking for the most durable, get a savage
Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 PM
SAVAGEBANE

i would say that both of the trucks are durable. but what no one has mentioned is that things are gonna break and accidents will happen regardless of how tough it is. with that said... i say savage. i have the x 4.6 pretty much still stock and i am impressed. the reason i say savvy is cause the parts , upgrades,compatability, support and possibilities stretch so much further than cen. the gst 7.7 has got to be a beast. but if u got the 4.6 you could leave it like that or some upgrades will put you with pretty much the same as an xl. i am waiting for some other 5.9 sized engines to come out so i can put extended tvps and a three speed, a few more upgrades and i could have like partss for two different trucks ....i think

go for the savage
Old 05-24-2008, 06:04 AM
ZEUS6971

Hey Guys...,

Thank you all for the repplies, suggestions ad tips,

BUT I ended up buying an LST2, which I loved it, except for the fact that I alredy broke one of the shock shafts.

I hinking of building a very protective front bumper, one that extends foward and protects also the tires.

When I do it, I'll post pictures.

Take care you all.

ZEUS.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:09 AM
splcrazy

the cen gst grabs you in with its looks but trust me they are rubbish well their motors are the rest of the truck is pretty good , i used to own a cen gst and got rid of it within 48 hours of purchasing it lol pure frustrating rubbish crap , and for the price of a cen your WAY better off getting a baja5b or ss , i own a savage x 4.6 too and the quality and strength is there and they have carried that forward into the savag XL best buy for your money forsure davesmotors.com is selling them dirt cheap
Old 05-24-2008, 08:23 AM
xc7

ORIGINAL: ZEUS6971

Hey Guys...,

BUT I ended up buying an LST2, which I loved it, except for the fact that I alredy broke one of the shock shafts.

I hinking of building a very protective front bumper, one that extends foward and protects also the tires.

Take care you all.

ZEUS.
Congrats on your purchase, remember that if you build a super strong bumber, it's the rest of the chassis that is going to take the impact and possibly break. The force has to go somewhere. If you extend it to cover the tires, make it somewhat flexible. What did you hit and how hard did you hit it to break the shock shaft?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:19 AM
oldschool77
My Feedback: (3)

To be honest I don't have one, however my bashing buddy has the Genesis and Nemesis and has put his trucks through more paces then 90% of the people who buy one. He is the most knowledgable CEN person I know and I value his opinion.

First off, the 7.7 is the hardest motor hands down to break in. I pulled that pull start with reasonable temps in the 40's plus and it is a bear even after break in. The bottom line is that just to get the trucks running consistently and without breakingtakes some serious cash. He refuses to sell them because the amount of money he had to dump into both rigs plus the amount of time invested in maintaining them wouldn't be worth any price tag to him. He told me flat out that they are difficult to tune and a waste of money. That isn't hardline, it is the truth.

Do they have a ton of redeeming value/bashability/great parts/engineering built in? Can they take a punishment? You bet! But compared to the parts availability and "bloodline" of the Savage XL and its predecesors it is a no brainer at least to me. You will easily invest a small fortune in these mammoths and to him (again a VERY knowledgable monster truck and truggy racer/basher/scratch builder I value his input.

My vote for best bang for the buck would be any savage, the LST2 or the XTM MMT. The MMT is by far superior to the CEN from a beating standpoint and for $450 RTR and by its sheer size I think you would be much happier. Plus XTM motors are much easier to run/tune/get parts for since the Mach/XTM/Dynamite/SPortwerks have many common threads.

Tha is my 2 cents...go for the savage or save $150 and get an RTR XTM...you won't be sorry. They both (XL/MMT) have lots of great features and value...I can't make that decision for you unless I knew more about you were looking to do with them.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:21 AM
oldschool77
My Feedback: (3)

HAHA ZUES!

I just bought an LST2 as well, selling off a few of my inferior r/c's to pay for a nice used RTR I picked up here for $370 shipped, I have a radio so selling it on fleabay knocks it down to $300 shipped.

Congrats!

I know I am going to post about the Losi as soon as it rolls in....YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION!

On a side note Zues, a bunch of us in the Trumbul/Straford/Hartford area like to bash...shoot me a pm if you would like to race up at R/C Madness or something or local in Faifield Co.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:31 AM
SAVAGEJIM

The GST/Nemesis/Genesis, I admit, is a much more durable truck than the Savage, and yes, their size is really impressive (7th or even alomst a 6th scale truck). I am primarily a Savage fan, so I dont necessarily say this with pride, but seeing what the CEN GST has in it makes me want to get one also.

As for starting that massive 7.7cc (.46ci) NX engine, heat it up to as close to 200degrees F before even attemting to start it. That will help you save your rotostarter or pull starter (and yourself) alt of misery. I am now of the opinion that starting an engine fom a dead cold is an absolute no-no.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:15 PM
ZEUS6971

ORIGINAL: xc7

ORIGINAL: ZEUS6971

Hey Guys...,

Take care you all.

ZEUS.
Congrats on your purchase, remember that if you build a super strong bumber, it's the rest of the chassis that is going to take the impact and possibly break. The force has to go somewhere. If you extend it to cover the tires, make it somewhat flexible. What did you hit and how hard did you hit it to break the shock shaft?

Xc7,

I was really going slow, because I was breakig the engine in and I hit my garage door BUT I was turning it and the tire/wheel hit the door in an angle.

So, I gues the shaft was defective, week in some way, I don't know.

But I adapted two shcks from a different car and it's working just nice, BUT I'm not bashing it until I get the shocks replaced.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
ZEUS6971

ORIGINAL: oldschool77

HAHA ZUES!

I just bought an LST2 as well, selling off a few of my inferior r/c's to pay for a nice used RTR I picked up here for $370 shipped, I have a radio so selling it on fleabay knocks it down to $300 shipped.

Congrats!

I know I am going to post about the Losi as soon as it rolls in....YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION!

On a side note Zues, a bunch of us in the Trumbul/Straford/Hartford area like to bash...shoot me a pm if you would like to race up at R/C Madness or something or local in Faifield Co.

oldschool77,

YES, lets get together and burn some nitro.

It's going to be fun.

Call me (203-858-2066) or e-mail me ([email protected])
Old 05-24-2008, 09:01 PM
black mamba

Saw a GST at Hobby Town today......................man that truck is sweet.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
pede_187

I saw both in person and the gst is definitely bigger. Here's a little idea on HOW big http://youtube.com/watch?v=D9FKlENyajU&feature=related#
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Lord Maccrage

I'm a basher and all I want is a nononsense truck what do I get? The 7.7 seems like an amazing value? I have a revo and I hate it. I dont even take it off of huge jumps. Just want to run it around in the back yard. Also which one is faster xl or 7.7?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:39 AM
black mamba

The XL and GST are about the same in terms of top speed. You can easily change that with a different spur and clutch bell setup though.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Revomad1

The GST is heavy, slow and cumbersome. It also drinks fuel. By a savage x ss or an xl 5.9.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
black mamba

Slow? It's just as fast as a Savage-give or take a mph or two. I also believe CEN races those things on the pro circuit as well. HPI can't say that about the Savage.[8D]
Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Lord Maccrage

Thanks guys. I think I am going to get the gst because from what I hear it is much more fun to drive with its bigger engine. I also heard it is more durable (which is # 1 for me)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.