Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 PM
savyx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage xl question

what makes the savage xl wider than a normal savage? i don't own one.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM
c_P

Default RE: savage xl question

Check out the website =0 U'll get all the info u need..... www.hpiracing.com
Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM
hardtail

think youll find that its the wheels axles that have extension pieces on them making the wheels stick out further m8
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, the aluminum axle extensions are the reason for the increased width. The XL tires are no wider than the non-XL Savage GT2 or Dirt Bonz tires.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
BudBud

They used an extended outer axle and an aluminum spacer. I thought I would buy a set of carriers, axles and spacers and widen my Truckzilla chassis. It takes more than that. The Xl has a much heavier dog bone, the original just flops inside the drive cup, so I need bones and differential cups. I got the cups, down to the bones now. People have been agressively buying the XL bones, I wonder if they will be chasing the cups and axles now..... BB

There is the new XL axle and the 4.6 axle with the 4.6 dogbone in each one. The drive pins do not reach the outside of the XL cup and the flop inside the cup.

There is a photo of the two, looking down the bores, so to speak...

Finally, a 4.6 dog bone in both axles.

Edited to add photos for your enjoyment.....
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is beefy Also, I think the XL tires are less wide than the stock GT1/2/Dirt Bonz.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Wow, that is beefy Also, I think the XL tires are less wide than the stock GT1/2/Dirt Bonz.
Yeah, I thought they just extended the axles, they completely overhauled the driveline from the tranmission out. They used a bigger engine, stronger spur, aluminum clutch, bigger center drivelines, tougher differentials, heavier dogbones, stronger carriers and a super heavy outside axle. The XL is much more than the extended, widened 25 I took it to be. I am a dummy, I thought I would Picco power a FLM ext lowered chassis and extend the axles to get my own custom "XL".... It is not that easy! I should have just bought one and put the Picco on it. BB
Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
MTboy

I always hear about the picco.. Now I hear you should have just put a picco in it.. Is the picco that much better to just put it in a new 5.9XL ????? Wow would think the 5.9 would have more balls..
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
BudBud

We all have our favorites, I suspect the new 5.9 is the same thing as the previous engines, which would be Axial 28 and 32 or Hpi K4.6. Have you seen the guy who swapped out his 5.9 for a Nova 528? It is [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxr8LST86g]pretty impressive![/link] I would run the 5.9 for a while to see how I liked it, but I really think a Picco 28 with good exhaust would outrun it. BB

Another shot of it on pavement [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SY57aJruYQ&feature=related]making speed runs[/link] and it is fast!