Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage 3 speed shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
cdh9400t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage 3 speed shift problem

I recently put a 3 speed in my savage x ss, and its only shifting 1 time. It has to be going from 2nd to 3rd because on take off its a dog. I know my tune is good. Does any one know a good setting for the shift points? The factory setting on this 3 speed isnt cutting it. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
SportsFans

Default RE: savage 3 speed shift problem

Is it the Kit (unassembled) or the complete tranny assembled?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
cdh9400t

it was unassembled, but in the instructions it said that the shift points were pre set from the factory. obviously they were not set for the X SS.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM
SportsFans

ORIGINAL: cdh9400t

it was unassembled, but in the instructions it said that the shift points were pre set from the factory. obviously they were not set for the X SS.
Well if your tuned and your running stock X SS gearing and tires then this thread might be of some help [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7516328/anchors_7535997/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7535997]CLICK HERE[/link]
Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Parputt537

If it was shifting with the two speed and now will not shift I would suggest that you make sure you have the clutch holders on the right direction. I accidentally put the 2nd gear clutch holder on backwards and only got one shift. On both of the clutch holders there is a grove cut on one side. This grove goes toward the rear of the transmission (Spur Gear Side).
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: Parputt537

If it was shifting with the two speed and now will not shift I would suggest that you make sure you have the clutch holders on the right direction. I accidentally put the 2nd gear clutch holder on backwards and only got one shift. On both of the clutch holders there is a grove cut on one side. This grove goes toward the rear of the transmission (Spur Gear Side).
Thanks for the tip on the clutches, mine is still a two speed, I will take it apart again to check that out. BB
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 PM
MTboy

How much of a gain do you get from the 3 speed? Is it worth the money.. Interested in what everyone has to say..
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
rican25

MT... I have a 3 speed in mine and absolutely love it.... even tho I love it, its up for sale as I am gettin into the Truggy racing more and more.... I was recently making my Savage X4.6 into a Street Deamon and dropped the 3 speed with the upgraded gearing and an Axial .32 in it and the thing absolutely flies!!! I wish I was keeping it so I can get some actual run time on the .32 and tune for more performance but it has to go as with the more toys I have the less money I have...... sucks being a grown-up sometimes!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
MTboy

Wow Rican it is good to hear and see you again. It's been awhile since I've seen you on here.. What you selling the 3 speed for? Or for that matter are you selling the hole truck? Would be interested in some stuff and have a friend looking for a good savage.. Let me know..
Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Parputt537

ORIGINAL: MTboy

How much of a gain do you get from the 3 speed? Is it worth the money.. Interested in what everyone has to say..

I would say that you will see the most improvement if you have a high output motor like the LRP or Picco. My LRP Spec 3 came alive when I put the 3 speed in it. It was already fast, but with the extra gear it just screams at WOT now.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
skootmaxx

I just recently put the 3 speed kit in my roommates savage. We are running an xtm 457 and its a beast . All I can say though is try to guess as best as possible where you want second gear cause its a pain to adjust if you have a older tranny. Ours ran like a dog at first so i took the tranny back apart and reset all the settings. When we got it out to test it again we had the same problem. Turns out that tuning was a big factor as to why it wasnt shifting . As i leaned it out more and more it began to roar to life. Right now i think it shifts a little early in the power band but that can be adjusted. make sure your tuning is good or youll never see 3rd .
Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 PM
rican25

great post skootmaxx!! I even had that problem with my stock 2speed when I first got it. I had to tune it right before it would shift. with the 3 speed in it now the thing just absolutely flies and I think I can get more out of it at the new motor runs in for a while....
Old 06-06-2008, 01:02 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some simple steps to live by with a 3spd.

1. If the carb is too rich, it won't shift. Period.

2. Make sure the slipper is not slipping when it shouldn't be. It won't shift. Period.

3. Lastly, but most importantly, make sure you check #1 and #2 before messing with the shift points. You will thank me.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
xc7

Thanks for the tips gdr, I am going to be installing my 3-speed kit today and was wondering how the initial settings are? Is it best to leave as is for the first run or are the settings wayyy off?

Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found it best to just leave the shift points alone. I have never adjusted mine in the 3 years I've had mine. I have used a bunch of different gear ratios, engines and tire sizes over the 3 years and each time the factory shift points have worked just fine. The MAIN thing to be concerned about with a 3spd is the tune. It is the most critical aspect and if the tune is off, it will appear that the shift points are off.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Savage_mt2_Attack

The best way to adjust your shift points i found is to 1st: get the truck tuned and then 2nd: tighten the 3rd gear clutch all the way down. That way you eliminate the possible 1-3 shift or 2-3 shift that may be causing you some headaches. With the 3rd gear locked all the way down its quite simple to dial in the 1-2 shift and once thats down, 2-3 is a breeze. [8D]