Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

man i hate radio gear!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Sparco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default man i hate radio gear!

well...it seems like every time i take my tuck out for a bashing something goes wrong with the electronics. I have a new hitec 645mg for steering and a futaba 3003 for throttle, and neither work, maybe like 3 mm in each direction but thats it, i opened up both servos to make sure something wasn't jammed, but its all fine, anyone have a clue on how to fix this??
Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
takenotes Bch

Default RE: man i hate radio gear!

What remote do you have, sounds like you might have a bad crystal, or need to reset the settings on your remote.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: got_nitro632

well...it seems like every time i take my tuck out for a bashing something goes wrong with the electronics. I have a new hitec 645mg for steering and a futaba 3003 for throttle, and neither work, maybe like 3 mm in each direction but thats it, i opened up both servos to make sure something wasn't jammed, but its all fine, anyone have a clue on how to fix this??
That sounds like something profoundly wrong with the TX and/or RX, not the servos themselves. Of course, the RTR radios are usually the sorriest radios you will ever use, they are made by cheap chinese contractors and are not up to par with even a $50 Futaba 2channel radio set. You have two options:
1: call HPI and see if they will replace your TF radio and receiver (the TF radio sets, being chinese made, have a higher rate of production defects that that as compared to a mid-grade radio). HPI should be able to replace those easily, afterall, that is what customer service is for. To remedy manufacturer defects at the end-user level.
2: You can buy a better radio, and this is what I suggest. Getting further along in the hobby, you will definitely put the higher end radio features to use.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM
KILL--ROY

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

That sounds like something profoundly wrong with the TX and/or RX, not the servos themselves. Of course, the RTR radios are usually the sorriest radios you will ever use, they are made by cheap chinese contractors and are not up to par with even a $50 Futaba 2channel radio set. You have two options:
1: call HPI and see if they will replace your TF radio and receiver (the TF radio sets, being chinese made, have a higher rate of production defects that that as compared to a mid-grade radio). HPI should be able to replace those easily, afterall, that is what customer service is for. To remedy manufacturer defects at the end-user level.
2: You can buy a better radio, and this is what I suggest. Getting further along in the hobby, you will definitely put the higher end radio features to use.
I ran my stock hpi radio for 8 gallons with no problems.
I drop it a number of times on concrete.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:23 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

by any chance you have the aa battery pack? if so try new ones or make sure if you have a battery pack its charged.

sounds like something is wrong in the radio.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
osuwins

it helps to know what radio you have, if it has a dualrate knob on it you might need to tweek it
Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Sparco

sorry for the late reply...it s a stock tf-3 and i have a venom 6v pack in the rx
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Sparco

earlier today I put some fresh batteries in the tx (light started blinking) and the servos were working for 5-10 min, as soon as I gave the engine gas my steering went out. [&:]
Old 06-09-2008, 10:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: KILLROY

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

I ran my stock hpi radio for 8 gallons with no problems.
I drop it a number of times on concrete.
Im not saying every single TF radio will fail, just that some of them do. Heck, I bought a TF4 used and still have it. But I have seen some other TF radios and they too have failed in one manner or another. Also, though my TF4 is still 100% operable, it is still a poor quality radio than my Futabas.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
beer=food
Banned

Get an FM radio and forget about it all.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: beer=food

Get an FM radio and forget about it all.

i love that myth

no brand/frequency/system
is immune from problems

some may have fewer or different problems
but they all...repeat all
have problems
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
beer=food
Banned

Its no myth iamso
Its a known fact in RC circles that FM radio;s will have 95% LESS problems than ANY AM set up, alot of the problems suffered by AM is from RF interferrence, usually from power lines, transformer boxes, underground cables, etc etc, FM does not have these general issues. Real pro's use FM period. Now we have 2.4ghtz taking some of the latency out when driving at long distances, bonus, forget AM its utter junk, switch, you will never look back........
Everything has problems ay, incorrect, set your transmitter up properly and try buying a 300 to 400 dollar one, it will not mess up, your servo's might, you cant blame a radio for that.
It sounds like you have used nothing but AM iamsonotimpressed ! LOL !
l stand by FM, and the myth that FM have as many issues as an AM one is an UTTER JOKE ! HaAHhaHAhAhhaHAa ppfftt iamsoimpressed !
Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM
jamiet2

i had the same thing i had stearing when truck sitin still but if i started it up and gave throtle i had no stering only throtle i had a acoms transmiter and reciver i found out it was the reciver the vibration of the truck moving was doing somthing to it it was somthing to do with the bit where u plug xtal in if i pushed it in would work
Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
bionictony

check dual rate?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
racefans26

just get a spectrum
Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Sounds like a dead rx battery to me, give it a good charge then see what happens. If it is an old battery pack, then you may need a new one.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: beer=food

Its no myth iamso
Its a known fact in RC circles that FM radio;s will have 95% LESS problems than ANY AM set up, alot of the problems suffered by AM is from RF interferrence, usually from power lines, transformer boxes, underground cables, etc etc, FM does not have these general issues. Real pro's use FM period. Now we have 2.4ghtz taking some of the latency out when driving at long distances, bonus, forget AM its utter junk, switch, you will never look back........
Everything has problems ay, incorrect, set your transmitter up properly and try buying a 300 to 400 dollar one, it will not mess up, your servo's might, you cant blame a radio for that.
It sounds like you have used nothing but AM iamsonotimpressed ! LOL !
l stand by FM, and the myth that FM have as many issues as an AM one is an UTTER JOKE ! HaAHhaHAhAhhaHAa ppfftt iamsoimpressed !
That's the truth.

Iamnot,
The FM
is
the superior
system
when compared to AM.

Also to the original poster, the S3003 servo may be part of the problem, I don't think it even has enough power to apply the brakes.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 PM
yoster

FM is superior, but you can still have issues. I can't speak from on-road experience, but I'm out at the flying field pretty much every week and can tell you from years of experience, even FM has their share of issues, even when set-up properly. That said, you have MUCH LESS issues, but you still *can* have issues.

I think you guys are all going in the wrong direction here. It's easy to blame the equipment. I myself have used AM for a long time for on-road, and honestly, can't say I've ever experienced really any trouble with it.

Lets start with the basics.. check the D/R knob. Sounds like he just has it turned all the way down to me. Also check the antenna on the RX for any cuts, and make sure your TX antenna is fully extended, and you are standing at least 3 feet from the vehicle.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Sparco

ORIGINAL: yoster

FM is superior, but you can still have issues. I can't speak from on-road experience, but I'm out at the flying field pretty much every week and can tell you from years of experience, even FM has their share of issues, even when set-up properly. That said, you have MUCH LESS issues, but you still *can* have issues.

I think you guys are all going in the wrong direction here. It's easy to blame the equipment. I myself have used AM for a long time for on-road, and honestly, can't say I've ever experienced really any trouble with it.

Lets start with the basics.. check the D/R knob. Sounds like he just has it turned all the way down to me. Also check the antenna on the RX for any cuts, and make sure your TX antenna is fully extended, and you are standing at least 3 feet from the vehicle.

the D/R knob is all the way up, but the Rx antenna has several cuts and nicks in it, can I solder on a replacement? if so does anyone know what the stock length is? (a few inches have been torn off from flips before)
Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM
yoster

Well there you go. Any increase or decrease in length of the antenna is a guarantee you're going to have problems.

I don't know about car radio systems, but with aircraft items you can order replacement antenna wires. Since this is an HPI product however, I doubt they carry it. I believe Futaba makes their stuff.. can't be sure.. but if they do, here is the replacement wire for 27mhz.

Note that this still might not fix the issue, but it definitely should be a first step.. seeing as how cheap it is to fix. Just de-solder the old one and replace it with the appropriate one below:

27mhz replacement: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERH8&P=7

One other thing to mention. You aren't doing this on the ground while not moving are you? Even my savage has a hard time turning the wheels when it isn't moving if the battery isn't completely peaked. If you're expecting it to be able to turn them full right and left while stationary, it's not going to happen with the stock servo in there.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Sparco

Thanks for the link, and its a hitec 645mg for steering, i had the front end up while i was testing it
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Sparco

i measured the stock antenna, there's about 345mm coming out of the Rx, the replacement on tower said 500mm, so a big chunk is missing lol
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 AM
SAVAGEJIM

i measured the stock antenna, there's about 345mm coming out of the Rx, the replacement on tower said 500mm, so a big chunk is missing lol
Nothing a longer wire and a soldering stick cant fix