Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Low speed bog

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:27 AM
naynay12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed bog

Hi all finshied break in today,put another 6 tanks through the lrp z.28r spec 3.Temp was around 200-210F
If you (has about 11 through it in the video).Remember a couple months ago i had issues with it not moving and overheating,i fixed the collet but it was not the problem.So i took it doen the hobby shop and they get about 40-50 cars a week with around 10 of them savages.Anywayit took them 2 hours to fix it up and find out what the problem was wothout even taking the engine apart(2 hours just tuning) etc.Anyway it was tuning and also the throttle linkages,all 3 needles needed adjusting.
Anyway from where he had the needles i have leaned the lsn half half a turn and the low speed and take off have improved but i dont want to lean it out to much and find out that it is something else.
So i am asking you from the quick video,it bogs off the line the high speed is not to bad,as you can see it pops a mono in second gear but not first!So should i need to be leaning out the lsn or hsn?
Also i had to stop the camera and end my day since the tire kept coming of the rim even after glueing!

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMGP1647.flv
Edit:Also i just realise dnow it is hard to see from the video but at the start you can see it bogs off the line and does not mono till later(yes that was full throttle)Also sorry it did not change geasrs so you cant reall tell the high speed the video is pretty bad.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:41 AM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Low speed bog

its a short video.
loading up on fuel at idle or lsn is still too rich or high oil content.
on take off thats a big cloud.
are you running a cold plug now that the hotter weathers here?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 AM
naynay12

Its a hot OS plug,in australia its getting colder(start of winter)...Also i dont think it was loading up to much since it alsways seems to do that bog,and does not wheelie at all at a full throttle take off,only just gets the wheels uo sometimes.With the k4.6 i could get it up easy...
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 AM
BudBud

I think it is too rich on both ends, sounds flat to me. Looks like a torque monster. I would lean out the hsn like this video [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As]says to.[/link] I would bet a couple of hours in will make a huge difference on both ends! BB
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 AM
yoster

Please keep something in mind.. when you're tuning, make SURE the engine is up to temp (200-240 range). SEVERAL people come on here with this same comment, and don't realize that the engine will NOT run right until you're at normal operating temperature. My savage bogs/runs rich until it hits about 210-230, then it comes alive with no hesitation at all.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of fuel are you running?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:02 AM
naynay12

Im running AT fuel, 15% oil, i was using a chinese fuel named cool power but that where half my issues started(i used it for the first and second tank.Also the temp max reached was 210,so to get it warmer i will lean out the main needle,even though it seems not to be to bad athigh end right?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:23 AM
BudBud

The low side will be leaned out as well. Leaning the hsn takes the lsn with it. .... I know better and will still catch myself cleaning up the lsn a little to get a mixture that is easier to start without flooding. Then I adjust the hsn in and all of a sudden... I have the lean cackle on the low side. Been there too many times and still catch myself in those shoes. Some of us learn slower than others. BB
Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 AM
naynay12

Yeh ok thanks budbud,i knew hsn also leans the lsn but not that much...thanks!