Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

K5.9 Really Sensitive to pipe changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K5.9 Really Sensitive to pipe changes

Well, recently i ordered an 086 pipe (hot bodies - same as ofna) and i sold my factory tuned pipe that came with the XL. Today my friends called me for a bash session and i said, "i can't go i don't have a pipe, only the header!" To which one friend replied, you can use my stock pipe that came with my x4.6 RTR. I said fine, went to the bash session and installed the el cheapo black plastic pipe. Fired up the truck and wow, it really ran badly, this thing was wheelying like crazy with the stock pipe and i couldn't believe the difference! First i richened the HSN 1/4 turn because when it shifted it would lean bog with the 4.6RTR pipe, then once i richened it, it ran horrible and started stalling out at low speeds, i tried to lean the LSN 1/8 turn but then it has a low speed lean bog. My friends were like *** is wrong, but i knew, this little plastic pipe is just crap.

Any thoughts on what the stock 4.6RTR pipe did to the K5.9 to make it run like that?

MB

PS - Bud Bud i can't wait for the 086 to arrive, how much tuning did it need when switching from the stock tuned pipe with your XL?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:57 PM
BudBud

Default RE: K5.9 Really Sensitive to pipe changes

I had to lean the high speed needle almost a full turn, it has a lot more fuel pressure. Bud
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 AM
roccos_van

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I had to lean the high speed needle almost a full turn, it has a lot more fuel pressure. Bud
So that's why the F4.6 RTR stock pipe made then enging run so lean and out of sorts, weak fuel pressure. Am i correct?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 AM
BudBud

I have not made that switch yet, it may have been too little exhaust for your engine. It matches the 4.6 pretty well.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Revomad1

It may not have had the cone in it. If it had the cone in it, it would have more back-pressure at high rpm's to prevent the leaning effect. The stock polished pipe has a cone built in, but the rtr pipe apparently comes with a cone, but it is not installed in the X rtr.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
roccos_van

Couple of things; first the 4.6 X RTR pipe was a lot smatter than the tuned pipe in diameter, i did look inside it to see if i could see a baffle, i thought i saw one, but could not tell for sure. btw - Revomad i should have listened to you about tires, i installed the LOSI LST CLAW tires and ran them for 1/2 tank and they suck. Way too heavy the truck lost so much speed/power, so now i'm selling them and have ordered another set of tires, the HPI GT2 which are smaller than the terrapins in overall hieght by 10 mm; which is really 5 mm when installed so the truck will still look great and run much better. I'm mad at myself for wasting the money and again, i should have listened to you. Live and learn.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

I added the cone into my stock plastic pipe and that definitely created more back pressure resulting in a better fuel pump. I also shortened the fuel tube by making it go around the heat sink instead of through the shock tower. If you do this make sure to get some heat resistant wrap to put on the fuel tubing.

I have this but in yellow

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMHW7&P=7
Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Revomad1

Thanks for the heat shield link! I added it to my Tower "Wish List".
Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: roccos_van

Well, recently i ordered an 086 pipe (hot bodies - same as ofna) and i sold my factory tuned pipe that came with the XL. Today my friends called me for a bash session and i said, "i can't go i don't have a pipe, only the header!" To which one friend replied, you can use my stock pipe that came with my x4.6 RTR. I said fine, went to the bash session and installed the el cheapo black plastic pipe. Fired up the truck and wow, it really ran badly, this thing was wheelying like crazy with the stock pipe and i couldn't believe the difference! First i richened the HSN 1/4 turn because when it shifted it would lean bog with the 4.6RTR pipe, then once i richened it, it ran horrible and started stalling out at low speeds, i tried to lean the LSN 1/8 turn but then it has a low speed lean bog. My friends were like *** is wrong, but i knew, this little plastic pipe is just crap.

Any thoughts on what the stock 4.6RTR pipe did to the K5.9 to make it run like that?

MB

PS - Bud Bud i can't wait for the 086 to arrive, how much tuning did it need when switching from the stock tuned pipe with your XL?
That pipe sucked because it wasn't designed for the exhaust flow of the much larger .36ci 5.9. The 5.9 is ingesting much more air than that 4.6 and what comes in, must get out. That pipe was literally choking the engine. I'm surprised it even ran at all.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: roccos_van

Couple of things; first the 4.6 X RTR pipe was a lot smatter than the tuned pipe in diameter, i did look inside it to see if i could see a baffle, i thought i saw one, but could not tell for sure. btw - Revomad i should have listened to you about tires, i installed the LOSI LST CLAW tires and ran them for 1/2 tank and they suck. Way too heavy the truck lost so much speed/power, so now i'm selling them and have ordered another set of tires, the HPI GT2 which are smaller than the terrapins in overall hieght by 10 mm; which is really 5 mm when installed so the truck will still look great and run much better. I'm mad at myself for wasting the money and again, i should have listened to you. Live and learn.
I ran the Claws on my truck for years. Never had any performance issues. It's very premature to say that they suck considering you were running a gimp pipe that was severely limiting your engine's power and torque. Put a real pipe on that truck and then see how you like or don't like them. You may have to gear it down on the CB depending on what gearing you have now. I ran mine with a 3spd/17/47 gears and a turbo head Axial .28 and a X SS pipe.

Sitting still

No lack of wheelspeed here. It was moving pretty good.

Nothing but roost here.

And my favorite shot.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 AM
roccos_van

Well then! I thought it was the tires compounded by the crappy pipe that made the truck run like crap. Hmmm....well here are a couple of quick pics for you to see. Maybe i should keep them?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Revomad1

Did you change the your gearing at all when you put those tires on? If not, drop 1 or 2 teeth on your clutch bell and see if that helps.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
black mamba

I say keep those tires! I have always like the look of them, especially on black wheels. But I'm a little biased. LOL. When you get that 086 pipe, you'll forget all about your previous fubar.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
BudBud

Do you have a link by chance to that Hot Bodies pipe? I tried one of theit pipes that came with a nicely done Savage header and could barely blow air through the fuel charge nipple. Somebody here on the forums has it because I sent it to them for free. I could not make my Picco run on it, I backed the needles out until they were silly open and it still did not flow fuel.

[link=http://www.rcplanet.com/Hot_Bodies_Chrome_Tuned_Pipe_p/hbs61217.htm]This is the one I had[/link], I hope there was either something wrong with mine or yours is different. Bud
Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
roccos_van

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Do you have a link by chance to that Hot Bodies pipe? I tried one of theit pipes that came with a nicely done Savage header and could barely blow air through the fuel charge nipple. Somebody here on the forums has it because I sent it to them for free. I could not make my Picco run on it, I backed the needles out until they were silly open and it still did not flow fuel.

[link=http://www.rcplanet.com/Hot_Bodies_Chrome_Tuned_Pipe_p/hbs61217.htm]This is the one I had[/link], I hope there was either something wrong with mine or yours is different. Bud
Bud thank you for the concern, luckily, i for some reason thought i had ordered a hot bodies pipe, but actually i had ordered a Dynamite pipe. Here's the link. What a dummy i am. I don't know how many fubar's i would do without the help here. Thanks to all once again.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=DYMP5004
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
BudBud

Awesome! That is a relief! I did not want you to suffer the same error I made. Bud