Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HALF tank lean issue AND CARB TUNNING

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 AM
dave30250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HALF tank lean issue AND CARB TUNNING

hi everyone !

I notice that when i am at half tank and i turn right with the truck my engine seems to bog a little bit. I think it is all the gaz go the same way when i turn so the engine run to lean in that case. I think if i put a longer fuel line i ll be able to fix this issue. i d like to know : on what factor you guys are looking to make sure your needle are set properly. I know i have to start to adjust the high speed needle first then the low speed. But i have a hard time to know witch one is doing what. I think the ghigh speed is for wide open throttle and low speed is for mid open throttle ?!... what are the signs i should look for to know when i am at 100% of the capacity of the engine without braking anything... i don t have a temp gun. I always have blue smoke coming out ( a lot actualy) i run wild cat 20% nitro. let s say my high speed needle is set to lean my truck will bog and i will get no smoke right ? let s say my low speed needle is too lean or too rich what am i gonna get ?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 AM
twomanytoys

Default RE: HALF tank lean issue AND CARB TUNNING

Well you need to look for the half tank lean posts. I put a post about a simple fix for this not too long ago and everyone that has tried it has had positive feedback about the fix. Have you broken in the engine yet? A temp gun is a good thing to have but not absolutly needed. Engines can still give good smoke but still run lean. A bod on WOT will mean its too lean. Richen the high speed slightly till bog goes away. Low speed controls your idle to half throttle. Learn how to do the pinch test to figure out low speed needle settings. There is alot of good info on Youtube for tuning nitro engines. HPI actually has some tuning videos on Youtube that will go through everything. Spend teh 20 bucks and get a temp gun just to make sure you are not overheating the engine.Once you get good with tuning and the engine is tuned you will not need the temp gun except for periodic checks.

Look for my post for the half tank lean fix.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
BudBud

Default RE: HALF tank lean issue AND CARB TUNNING

[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]A great video[/link] to help you with your tuning issues. I think most of us as making the fuel line from the tank to the carb as short as possible. More line makes more pressure loss from the tank to the carb. BB