Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Ever feel like a dummy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever feel like a dummy?

I just spent two hours switching my Truckzilla over to the new XL extended axles, the new uprights, the new dog bones and the XL differentials. My truck was the old style differential and my towers would not match the new ones, so I moved all the guts over, the ring, pinion and bearings into the old housings. Got it all done and sat it next to my regular Savage with the Proline tires and wheels, less than 3/8ths of an inch difference. I almpst feel like I blew a hundred bucks for no gains. I guess I can feel secure in knowing I have all new drive train and it is all heavy duty. I will get around to some photos tomorrow sometime. I need to buy another set of Prolines! BB
Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Parputt537

Default RE: Ever feel like a dummy?

Nothing that time consuming, but I did change out a servo once and had to reverse it on my radio. Guess who forgot to reverse the fail safe. Sure the fail safe worked, but at full WOT instead of brakes [&o]
Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Sparco

oh...wayyyy too often! one of the biggest rules of working on an rc, never do it when your dead tired, I once rebuilt an engine with no piston and installed it in my truck only to find out nothing happened when I tried to turn it over.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 AM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the worst i've done sofar.
loaded the trucks up got to the park to find i forgot the glow igniter on the charger at home.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I'll make you feel better.

I placed a tower order last Thursday. Yes, a week ago. Wheels, foams, shock oil...'bout $60 including shipping.

Forgetting that you haven't placed a Tower order since you moved from your last apartment...I'd say priceless...but that price is $60[:@]

Let's hope they'll cut me a deal and feel sorry for my dumb ass.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
BudBud

The sad thing is, I have purchased five total XL differentials, two sets of axles, three sets of dog bones and two sets of uprights, not to mention all the drive cups I bought thinking that was what I needed for my differentials. Duhhhh

I do have more spare parts now. I will only have one Savage with a regular differential in it and 7 spare differentials for it. That Picco better go on a streak of terror.....

I do have spare dogbones now! I had three or four sets of spares before and now I have two more sets.... someday my family is going to be trying to dispose of my junk and there will be a lot of head scratching going on there. Hope I can sit in the background with a smile ion my face.... BB
Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 AM
savagedan89

well i havent done anything stupid on my rc but i did install a diff in my truggy backwards and yea i went full wot and went no ware
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ORIGINAL: got_nitro632

oh...wayyyy too often! one of the biggest rules of working on an rc, never do it when your dead tired, I once rebuilt an engine with no piston and installed it in my truck only to find out nothing happened when I tried to turn it over.
wow i thought and i was the only person that has done that
Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 AM
legine

This isnt as serious as some of the stuff here but i took apart my whole front end to do some servicing, put it all back together (it was my first time doing it so i was slightly confused) and then i realised that i forgot to put the dogbone that goes from the gearbox to the front diff......[:'(]
Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
BudBud

Okay, I feel better now, I put my Truckzilla wheels back on my Truckzilla and it looks killer with the new wider stance. Too bad those wheels and tires just kill the suspension. It runs around like a hopped up steam roller now.

I should mount identical tires and wheels on both as I have a couple of sets....

I just finished the suspension swap last night. My Truckzilla now has the XL width.....

and of course, the Truckzilla length.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM
muddinrc4life

The dumbest thing ive done was that i got too far from my truck it stuck WOT and as i was running after it i slipped on wet grass and broke my entire transmitter in to pieces. [&o]
Old 06-20-2008, 04:09 PM
beer=food
Banned

Man you guys have nufin on me, LOL, we tryed to jump a lake, ok ok a damn, seemed like a lake, was one of the dummer things in my youth, we lost both trucks, mind you we didnt learn after the first was lost ! Daft or what, young, dumb and full of, erm, muddy water, this was at a place called ''wongi water holes'' at the state forest out the back of marybough, 20 odd years ago, LOL, the waterholes there, we didnt realise at the time, are over 40 foot deep or 15 odd metres, like, POOP man, it was like, '' shee'll be right mate we''l l jump in and get em in a minute, after me beer sorta thing,'' ''it aint all that deep anyways'' ''sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet wheres the bottom !'' ? '' LOL both of us were pretty drunk by the end of that night, and l only had one other nitro back then, man l was depressed for weeks, LOL, never did recover any bit of em, LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL , never did try and jump anything as DUMB as that agin but, we all do stupid things, its funny to look back at some of em, l put the revo through a tiled roof, LOL, didnt bust the revo at all, wikid, had to replace 3 rows of tiles but ! LOL !Lucky me builder !
If you cant share your idiocy, your just sad, because who cares anyways.

Mate l love the look of those tyres you have there on that rig, what are they called ?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM
BudBud

Those are the Hot Bodies tires and wheels for the Truckzilla kit. Mine are hard as a rock and make a lot of noise running on pavement. They are heavy and kill the suspension. They do look cool though and get pretty good bite in snow or soft dirt. I have not run them in sand yet, I imagine they would be super for that. You can see them and others made by Hot Bodies [link=http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/massive_tires.html]here.[/link] Depending upon when you ordered your truck and which kit they had in stock, you got one of the tire options. I bought a Savage converted truck for a song on the e-market, I think it was 106 dollars shipped and these came as part of the package. It did not take me long to see that the .46 engine was a turd and jerk it out for a Picco .28, actually I ran an Axial 32 in it for a long time, then the Picco. To answer your question, it is the UFO wheel with the Mayhem tire. I would like to try a set of their dozer tires, but fear they are heavy and hard too. BB
Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
megamaxx

lets see,stupid!accidently grabbing brake cleaner instead of the nitro cleaner and spraying down 3 engines before catching the mistake,poos LRP,Force.32 and Mach427,had to rebuild 3 carbs on that screw up.needless to say those 2 cleaners are kept as far apart as possible in my shed
Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 PM
BudBud

With a big crowd of kids and adults watching me blaze up and down the street, I am making a high speed pass close to a mailbox. There was a clump of grass there, but it looks like I am going to clear the post... leave the fuel wide open and wham! There is a little rock retaining wall behind that grass. Both chassis plates, two wheels, front bumper, two uprights, three dog bones, one tire and a differential housing. It was kind of cool the way it shot sideway clear across the street. It was a sickening thud though. [] I hate major screwups with a big audience. [:-] BB
Old 06-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Sparco

ORIGINAL: BudBud

With a big crowd of kids and adults watching me blaze up and down the street, I am making a high speed pass close to a mailbox. There was a clump of grass there, but it looks like I am going to clear the post... leave the fuel wide open and wham! There is a little rock retaining wall behind that grass. Both chassis plates, two wheels, front bumper, two uprights, three dog bones, one tire and a differential housing. It was kind of cool the way it shot sideway clear across the street. It was a sickening thud though. [] I hate major screwups with a big audience. [:-] BB
ouchies...well that must have stunk, on the up side you can add to your 55 gal drum [8D]
Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM
BudBud

I just added to the drum, took the Truckzilla out and it handles great. I wanted to burn some screaming video, but the clutch bell puked a bearing, took a Robinson 46T spur and a 16T vented bell with it.

The other Picco truck just acted like it was not pulling right, no wheelies after about five minutes, brought her in, the front tires smoke, but the back ones have no drive. They will off and on, sounds like another bevel gear. I do have spares... Too bad I have to work tonight, I am supposed to run with my nephew tomorrow. Oh well, there is always an Axial powered Tower Terror laying around here some place. BB
Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 PM
megamaxx

most recent bone head mve,took the LST2 out after some good rain(should have known better,but there was still fuel in the tank)hit my ramp a couple of times no problem,3rd time smelt something funny,figured it was water hitting the exhaust,it was really the brake pads.4th jump no brakes,truck continued over and landed on its lid in 4 inches of water,the 427 didnt survive[:@]
Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 PM
BudBud

I have a Tower Terror with a Picco 26 in it and it is crazy quick, a real wheelie machine. I was in the park doing high speed passes in the grass and had a great wheelie going with a sidewalk coming up. Instead of letting it touch down and then getting back into the fuel, I ran it wide open into the sidewalk. The end result was a long cartwheel into a tree. Broke the centers out of all four wheels, front bumper and a wheelie bar.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

my biggest dumb one was a toss up between forgeting my air filter, (i ran a papertower zipped tied on) or when building my savage, i got ALL the front screws in and found my front center, i got it but realized if forgot to grease it, so i ended up putting my front end on 3 times, i think thats the worst, or forgetting about a battery charging and ended up peaking it then leaving it on trickle (150mha) for about 12-15 hours, its a good thing i only use that pack for my roto-start and got real batteries for my 1/10

rclugnut10
Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
BigGrump

Dumbest thing I ever did was when I was working on one of my nitro trucks and I thought I made a mistake. Later I found out I was wrong.

Just joking.........

Dennis
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Sparco

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

Dumbest thing I ever did was when I was working on one of my nitro trucks and I thought I made a mistake. Later I found out I was wrong.

Just joking.........

Dennis
ok...
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: got_nitro632

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

Just joking.........

Dennis
ok...
agreed so what did you just said that to screw with our heads and you didn't even come up with a story LAME!!!!!!!!!!!![&o]

rclugnut10
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

back about 7 or 8 years ago

I had a gallon of Blue Chunder (back then it came in a clear jug) and a gallon of windshield washer fluid in the back of my Trooper.

Trooper ran out of washer fluid.

Use your imagination[&:] good thing nobody tried to set the windshield on fire...
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
hawk900

Did it clean the windshield good? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.