Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it still strong enough or do I need new plates?

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Is it still strong enough or do I need new plates?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it still strong enough or do I need new plates?

My Truckzilla has been crippled on top end ever since I put the Picco in. It was designed for the huge helicopter .46 engine and the Picco or any other big block for that matter, got into the chassis plate. I decided to fire up Dr. Dremel and open it up tonight. If it breaks, I have been wanting to try some FLM plates anyway. I made room for the mount and bolts to come outside the plate. I can run an 18/46 now instead of the 16/46 limit I had before. It is my favorite truck to drive and had plenty of wheel standing power, so I am hopeful that this will work out for me. BB
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Is it still strong enough or do I need new plates?

Thats not enough to break the plates. I would not worry about it. And the only way to really tell is by running it.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah you should be good but if your still worried you could but some (lots) washers to widen the chassie plates but you may just sheer screws , dumb idea but i don't wanna hit backspace, and if that breaks you can always get better plates i think integy makes them 5mm or flm which is way better somebody shut my up

rclugnut10
Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 PM
BudBud

The Truckzilla plates are half again as thick as a regular Savage, I think it wwill be fine. If not, I always liked the looks of those FLM LCG plates. There Go-to goes, spending more money for me again. BB
Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware, you cant go higher than 18/47 on FLM's. My engine mount is almost outside the TVP[&:] Had to grind away a recess for the flywheel, and one of the engine screws nearest the diff outdrive rubs on the outdrive[:@]
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 AM
youie

I did the same for my Truckzilla plates to help accommodate an RB TM728 and believe me that is not enough to do anything to the plates. This picture is viewed from the inside of the plate. But no problems ever occurred. The only reason why the plate is pictured on its own and not as part of a whole car is because I switched back to the standard plates only because the Truckzilla wheels were very heavy and fitting the standard wheel size on a Truckzilla chassis some how just did not look right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78862.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	975971  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 PM
BudBud

That looks pretty similar to my operation. Did you mess around to see how tall of a gear you could run. I have an 18/46 now and have enough power to pull more if it would fit. Thanks... here is the Zialla on regular tires next to a 25. BB

Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

BB..remember...the FLM plates are LCG, so you're not going to have AS MUCH wheelie-fun as you do now

I wouldn't worry about that little bit you ground out hurting anything.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

BB..remember...the FLM plates are LCG, so you're not going to have AS MUCH wheelie-fun as you do now

I wouldn't worry about that little bit you ground out hurting anything.
That would be the [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqhmEH0vKPk]other Savage[/link] which I bought an LRP for and will probably lose the wheelie machine. I doubt it will have the power the STS does. That STS is insane, but it seems like it is full power or no power. It is a blast ripping those long wheelies and it is hard on rear differentials, but it is not much fun to try and just drive around. I can always put it back in if I need a wheelie fix or drive my [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzm9O7PuJY]Picco Terror[/link]. It will do long hard wheelies on pavement too, it is just almost impossible to keep it upright. This Truckzilla does wheelies, but it never would hold them like the STS does. It is longer, but even the S25 with the Picco will not wheelie like that STS truck does. I appreciate you watching out for me. Because we all know about that addiction of mine.... BB

Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
youie

ORIGINAL: BudBud

That looks pretty similar to my operation. Did you mess around to see how tall of a gear you could run. I have an 18/46 now and have enough power to pull more if it would fit. Thanks... here is the Zialla on regular tires next to a 25. BB

I didn't actually mess around with various gearings as such. I once had the Truckzilla setup and was unhappy with the engines temper from day to day, so I went out and bought the RB TM728 engine and returned the whole setup back to standard bar the engine which was the new RB TM728.

The problem was with this engine, wheelies were an obsolute nuisance. I wanted to get off the line quickly but it would just pop wheelies even from a rolling start. Thats when I opted to re-use the Truckzilla plates and had to do this same mod as your in order to accommodate the RB TM728 with an 18t clutchbell mated to a 47t spur gear.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM
BudBud

That 18/47 gave you a ratio of 2.61 and currently I have a 2.55 with the 18//46, I should look around, I have some 19 and 20 bells here someplace. It will be a trial and error thing.. Thanks for the reply. BB