Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
EvilRyu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL Newbie

Hello all, I'm a newbie at this nitro stuff. I just purchased the savage xl for mostly driving around the neighborhood but the damn thing is so loud. I started the engine and lets it sit in the garage (breaking in according to manual) but I can hear it like a block away. It's so much louder my real car. Anyway to tune the sound down a little bit before my neighbor get mad at me? My 2nd question is everytime I try to start the truck it started fine but I took out the glow plug starter it shut off. Any FAQs section for newbie here? thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Savage XL Newbie

Well if you are concerned about noise then nitro is not for you. All nitro trucks are loud to a point. Some more than others and with the size of engine you have in the XL its going to be loud.

Now for the stalling. You can turn up the idle screw a little to keep it running durring break in. Then when you start to tune you will have to readjust. You can also keep the ignitor on for a bit. You can also blip the throttle every few seconds to keep the engine clear. You can also lean out the low speed needle a little to keep engine running. The reason it dies is because the engine loads up with raw fuel that cant burn. Once you take the ignitor off it cant burn as hot so it dies. Nitro for noobies can be a pain expecially durring break in.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 PM
EvilRyu

Thanks for the tips...I turn up the idle screw (i thought clockwise was higher but it actually the other way around) and it idle fine. I took the truck out for a spin and it seem like it more quiet when it running than idling. Now my other problem is when I hit the brake and the truck stall? I love this thing ......it's so huge . Is it legal for me to take it to the park? would it be too loud for by stander? any tips on how to roto start with the body on? So hard to aim for the hole. THanks
Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

your still way too rich just get it going with the wheels off the ground and bring it up to about 3/4-7/8 trottle so not to over rev it, and start to lean out needles, spec intructions, (not sure how good or bad they may be) that was happening to me when i was jumping or driving hard into a hairpin and i'ld have it cut on me it really sucked in the air cuz then it nose dive, but get it leaner and change your plug out to another R5 or i run os #8 and i like it,

and its fine to take it to the park, go around to a few RC manufactures websites and they useally have a track? lhs locator and i know theres one here so you can find a track to run it at and people are useally glad to help noobies in any way,

for roto sarting, i go tru the center of the bumer thru the center hole on the tower and i'm in but i typically run topless, cuz i destory my body, but if you choose to have it, run it as low as possible because it'll rip when you land on your roof from 8 ft up

rclugnut10
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 PM
twomanytoys

I dont think you have the right screw. Clockwise on the idle screw will turn the idle up. You also have the low speed screw and high speed screw.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 PM
rclugnut10

i was talking about all the screws, its kinda late or i'ld give you a brief tuning lesson just youtube hpi savage tuning you should find the right video, that'll help alot,

rclugnut10
Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 AM
EvilRyu

Really? I was playing with that screw and it idle fine...is that the idle screw?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84811.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	979938  
Old 06-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Sparco

nope, thats the llow speed, the idle is the even smaller one on the back of the carb, it faces the back right wheel
Old 06-28-2008, 01:11 AM
EvilRyu

So is it the little screw right next to the spring that goes around the heat sink?
Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Parputt537

ORIGINAL: EvilRyu

So is it the little screw right next to the spring that goes around the heat sink?
Yes. Read the manual, it tells you where all the screws are and what they are for.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Medrivfast

Check to see if you need a new glow plug.

Where in So Cal are you?
Old 06-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Revomad1

Don't run your nitro truck in your own neighborhood. You're going to PO your neighbors. Take it to an open area like a soccer field or a park. Construction sites are great for off-roading. Running anywhere near curbs is begging for broken parts! lol
Old 06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
rclugnut10

read the instuctions in manuall and like i said (i think) use the track locator on here and you can find a track and i'm sure somebody will be glad to help you

rclugnut10
Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 PM
EvilRyu

I took it to the park today and burned about 4 tanks of gas. I have a few more questions. It seems like the radio doesn't go too far? I am about 50 yards away and the engine shut off so i guess it out of range? The gas tank seem too small because I can't drive that long before it ran out of gas. Before it run out of gas the car seem too be very fast then shut off so is that normal? I had a blast, I didn't know the engine still run even the car is upside down...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
rclugnut10

when it is upside down try to flip it asap cuz no feul is going into your lines only air, and your engine will start to lead out, and you need to lean out you top and bottom end neddles to get it to stop cutting on you, cuz it chokes on feul when you do that
and thats all the runtime you get out of a tank 8/15 min depending on drive style

rclugnut10
Old 06-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Cal-Torque

OMG man... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
You're going to hurt somebody with that thing.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
BudBud

I am sure you are way rich on fuel, which is important during the break in. Your run times will get much longer after break in and needles are set leaner.

This video is great, but complete your break in process before leaning it out to maximum performance. BB

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg]RC tuning.....[/link]
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
EvilRyu

ORIGINAL: Cal-Torque

OMG man... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
You're going to hurt somebody with that thing.
How am I going to hurt someone? I took it to a park that is 3 time longer than football field with no one in sight when I test out the range of my truck. I notice there is a little antenna by the servo. Do we have to pull it up (stand up) for longer range?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
dominicevans

yes lol read the instructions it doesn't take long your learn everything
Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
bellp

Wow, looking at your picture of the XL carb I noticed my XL has a totally different carb. Does anyone know if there are different carbs being shipped for the XL. I ask this, because I am having problems with the carb not closing all the way to idle or not opening all the way.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I must say that is pretty ignorant of you not to read the manual and come on the forums and look like an idiot asking simple questions that are pointed out in the manual... You could put people and property in a lot of danger, I'm guessing you range tested the truck with the engine on. In case you did do that, that was an extremely stupid thing to do and your truck could have taken off on you. Also, because of you not bothering to read the manual, you are lucky you turned the LSN counter clockwise or you would have toasted your engine. Some may think that I am being harsh, but manuals have a purpose and if you think you are above them, then at least know everything before operating your truck. One last tip, at least in my area, you can be ticketed for running nitros in a public park. Then again this is NYC. Tom.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 PM
EvilRyu

ORIGINAL: bellp

Wow, looking at your picture of the XL carb I noticed my XL has a totally different carb. Does anyone know if there are different carbs being shipped for the XL. I ask this, because I am having problems with the carb not closing all the way to idle or not opening all the way.
That's not my picture...i found it on HPI website just to show the screws....the pictures in the manual is not very clear.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

How am I going to hurt someone?
Somebody's never rammed himself in the ankle with a 1/8 buggy at full speed.

Let's see...40+ mph 13 pound projectile...how could that POSSIBLY hurt somebody...Gee, dunno.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 AM
adzey

for the sound thing you could try a deflector, they jus ziptie on to the end of your exhaust, alot of people say they make no differance, i thought it did on my 4.6 RTR.
the one i used was traxxas, but you have to cut the thin end off to make it fit
Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

How am I going to hurt someone?
Somebody's never rammed himself in the ankle with a 1/8 buggy at full speed.

Let's see...40+ mph 13 pound projectile...how could that POSSIBLY hurt somebody...Gee, dunno.
i did that with my evader barefoot and i had a ball stud on the front arms for sway bars that i didn't have one (see where this is going) a ball stud strain into the back of my ankle at 20 mph there was blood... lots of blood,

and dude i had read the instructions at least 10 times before i even got my savage (thank you HPI) i could almost build my XSS with out them, and had only seen a savvy (not including online pic) a few times before that,

and PLEASE read the instructions man, i won't reply to any more posts that have their answers in the manual,
and i find that CAD pics very nice in my X SS (3 classes of CAD helps but....)

rclugnut10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.