Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stupid flimsy antenna

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Roadtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid flimsy antenna

Just looking for some help here. Everytime I drive my savage I end up going end over end and without fail my antenna gets torn off. Usually right where it comes through the body. Then I splice into it and reattach it. What would be a good way to keep this from happening?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 AM
SpikeX

Default RE: Stupid flimsy antenna

Get a Spektrum 2.4GHz system. The antenna of the Spektrum receiver doesn't even stick out of the body and you get a hell of a lot more range with the Spektrum system as you do with the stock system.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Roadtorque

does that go in the truck or controller or both? Does it require getting a new controller?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an antenna tube for the receiver wire?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Roadtorque

I did but It broke so many times its useless. I never got a new one because it didnt seem to help. The antenna wire breaks just as much with or without the tubing over it
Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Muggy250r

run it with the tube!!! now put the body on and where the tube goes threw the body slid some fuel line over the tube and put it where the tube goes threw the body... that way it doesnt rub on the tube it just rubs on the fuel line... depending on what body ur running make the tube come out the back so its not on top... kinda hard to c in my pic but u get the idea

Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heat shrink tube an old springy wire antenna from a cheap tyco rc.
run it out the rear window under the body.
not sure what this plastic piece was for but it comes with the roll bar and worked for the antenna.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i just use the duratrax kit for mine and it works fine the lead is held on by feul tubing of course but i havn't had a problem with it since

rclugnut10
Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
rcnitrohead

Hey Spike where ya been?

OP- Routing the stock system through the rear window is your best bet, I used to break antenna tubes like you until I drilled a hole in the rear window and its fine there. Now I love the 6 in 2.4ghz antenna[8D]
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
youie

Everyone has their own methods that they swear by, but this in no way means that other methods are not as effective.
I have alot of money invested in my savage, so maintaining good reception at distance is vital and I would not risk using a method of securing the aeriel in a way which affects reception.

Not having a secure method such as using the plastic tube is very risky itself. I have for over two years used a net curtain spring through which the antenna is fed and the spring mounts perfectly into a aluminium tube holder.
Before risking driving my savage using this method, I thoroughly checked the range of the standard tube method by placing it on a stand and walking some distance away and then did exactly the same test using the net curtain spring and there was absolutely no affect on the range.
The great thing is the antenna stays protected and the spring effect returns the antenna back to the upright position. Before anyone sceptical about this, then all you need to is try it because the spring is very cheap to purchase and you can cut the equivalent of four out of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88741.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	984489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76382.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	984490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66558.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	984491  
Old 07-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Sparco

ORIGINAL: youie

Everyone has their own methods that they swear by, but this in no way means that other methods are not as effective.
I have alot of money invested in my savage, so maintaining good reception at distance is vital and I would not risk using a method of securing the aeriel in a way which affects reception.

Not having a secure method such as using the plastic tube is very risky itself. I have for over two years used a net curtain spring through which the antenna is fed and the spring mounts perfectly into a aluminium tube holder.
Before risking driving my savage using this method, I thoroughly checked the range of the standard tube method by placing it on a stand and walking some distance away and then did exactly the same test using the net curtain spring and there was absolutely no affect on the range.
The great thing is the antenna stays protected and the spring effect returns the antenna back to the upright position. Before anyone sceptical about this, then all you need to is try it because the spring is very cheap to purchase and you can cut the equivalent of four out of it.
Good thinking! i'll have to try that soon.

Is that a CF air filter? Looks good, nice truck btw, I'd like to see more pics of it.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
youie

Hi pal, hope you try the net curtain spring, for what it costs its definately worth a try and after you have fitted it all you have to do to give you piece of mind, is to place it on a stand (even a brick will do) and then gradually walk away from it whilst still using your transmitter to turn the wheels and you will be surprised at the range. I have not noticed a difference between the standard plastic tube method or this net curtain spring method.

By the way the air filter is an RB item. It was bought the same day I bought the RB TM728 engine mated to an RB exhaust.

Here are a few more pics of my savage
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93721.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	984957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17486.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	984958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70048.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	984959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44288.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	984960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36569.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	984961  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
hpdrlr

hey youie where can i get one of those net curtain springs i like that idea
Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 AM
black mamba

Run the antenna through the back rather than through the top. I got tired of "lid slides" fragging my antenna tube & wire, so I did that and haven't had any issues since.

edit-pic

Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM
youie

You can buy them at Home furnishing stores and curtain shops are probably your best bet. The proper name for Net Curtains is 'VOILE' and thats the name they might be under at a store.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM
aero750rider

Is there a good enough receiver out there without an antenna? Probably not. But it would be nice to have a nice clean look
Old 07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Muggy250r

ORIGINAL: aero750rider

Is there a good enough receiver out there without an antenna? Probably not. But it would be nice to have a nice clean look

spektrum... its got a tiny antenna
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
aero750rider

will the spetrum receiver work with futaba 2.4 ghz system???