Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Late RPM shift points

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Hordsak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late RPM shift points

I have my 3 speed shift points set quite late in the RPM band. How much acceleration will I miss out on, if my shift points are too high? I have the LRP .28, and the 3speed, with 16/49 or 47 gearing, and I can't touch my friends F4.6 stock gearing. He smashes me, not to mention I have a JP-3 pipe. My truck is a slug.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Late RPM shift points

WOW something is seriously wrong with your setup then. My sons savage has teh f4.6 adn Im running the LRp with the stock HPI polished and he cant touch me. Mine is running rich also with his tuned to peak performance. He can also keep right with my Brother inlaws MGT8.0. The f4.6 is a nice sleeper but its no lrp. Do you know what temps you are running? What kind of filter are you running?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
BudBud

I did the same thing with my P3. It was way past peak when it shifted. I do not know if that was the whole story, but I am two speeding again now. I was screaming across the prairie and she coasted to a stop... My other Picco was blowing it away on acceleration and it was shifting early, real early, most of the time you never heard 1-2. BB

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Hordsak

I've adjusted my 1-2 shift about 2 turns out from where I had it, so I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you guys know if it's any faster. I hope so, because so far this LRP seems to be quite sluggish.. When Skinner bought his brand new F4.6 truck, there was no contest acceleration wise, and his truck only had 1/2 a liter through it.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Skinner1

Hey Hordsak you should just get it over with and go buy a Savage XL
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Hordsak

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

WOW something is seriously wrong with your setup then. My sons savage has teh f4.6 adn Im running the LRp with the stock HPI polished and he cant touch me. Mine is running rich also with his tuned to peak performance. He can also keep right with my Brother inlaws MGT8.0. The f4.6 is a nice sleeper but its no lrp. Do you know what temps you are running? What kind of filter are you running?
Temps are always between 220-250. I'm running the stock HPI filter. My engine did not come with any flow restrictors for the carb, but I doubt even fiddling with that, would make a huge difference. I'm hoping it was my ill-set shift points. Would 1 tooth on the CB, and maybe a few teeth on the spur make that much of a difference? I didn't think it could be that extreme.