Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage xl tuned pipe (dilemma)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: savage xl tuned pipe (dilemma)

If the CEN pipe makes all this torque and low end power, where are the power wheelies? It never lifts the front tires without a ramp. I do not see the big power you keep bragging about. I am not saying the Ofna pipe is the ultimate for a 5.9, but I see a lot more snap and speed out of it than I do the CEN pipe. A 5.9 that can not pick up the front tires is nothing to brag about.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
geronimo321

man i opened a can of worms, seems this is a highly debated subject. no, i do not have the hands on experience most of you have.
but, i do have common sense . after three days of research, on my own, I've settled on the ofna 086,there's way to much praises on the ofna to ignore.
altho the cen gst 7.7 maybe a great pipe.theres to many conflicting results. peace
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a CEN GST 7.7 pipe on the way as we speak. No engine, but I have the pipe. LOL. Hey HPI, FedEx that engine please!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: geronimo321

man i opened a can of worms, seems this is a highly debated subject.
No you didn't. You simply opened up a subject that needs further investigating and validation. We already know the stock XL pipe chokes the 5.9, so we need to know what options are out there to get that engine performing like it should. The more discussion, the better.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Revomad1

ORIGINAL: BudBud

If the CEN pipe makes all this torque and low end power, where are the power wheelies? It never lifts the front tires without a ramp. I do not see the big power you keep bragging about. I am not saying the Ofna pipe is the ultimate for a 5.9, but I see a lot more snap and speed out of it than I do the CEN pipe. A 5.9 that can not pick up the front tires is nothing to brag about.
I wasn't getting wheelies in my sand bash video because the low speed needle was a bit too rich. I only had about half a gallon through the 5.9, so it was far from making peak power. Traction is also required for wheelies. There is very little traction to be had on sand. I can do wheelies on demand on grass with the IRC LCG chassis and mulcher tires. Mulchers on grass FTW! This doesn't need to be about who is right or wrong. Both pipes apparently have their benefits. I'm very happy with the CEN pipe. I don't want to have to run my 5.9 at 270+ to get peak power. If the trend towards larger engines continues, I'm sure we will see some after-market pipes that are designed to get the most out of .30+ engines.
Lets keep our fingers crossed!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 AM
black mamba

Revomad hit the nail on the head. There are no aftermarket performance pipes for enignes larger than .28. Until this happens, I guess the CEN pipe and the 086 pipe will have to do. If you want top end power, the 086 is your pipe. If you want low end grunt, the CEN is your pipe. Or with experimentation, other pipes will show improvements on the 5.9. Hopefully HPI did their homework and will release a new pipe on the XL SS.[8D]
Old 09-20-2008, 02:49 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Revomad hit the nail on the head. There are no aftermarket performance pipes for enignes larger than .28. Until this happens, I guess the CEN pipe and the 086 pipe will have to do. If you want top end power, the 086 is your pipe. If you want low end grunt, the CEN is your pipe. Or with experimentation, other pipes will show improvements on the 5.9. Hopefully HPI did their homework and will release a new pipe on the XL SS.[8D]
A .30+ engine with "sport" timing profiles does not need a larger pipe than an LRP Spec 3 or Picco 28. Despite having a larger chamber volume than both of these engines, the 5.9's volumetric efficiency is much lower at every point in the RPM range, and as a result, the volume of exhaust gases is actually smaller.

A stock 5.9 will make peak high RPM torque when coupled to a standard high RPM buggy pipe such as an 086. Modified could be a different story, but I wouldn't expect the low quality Taiwanese engine to hold up to additional combustion chamber pressure.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:25 AM
black mamba

I don't know man. Bigger engines naturally ingest more air than smaller ones. All that air that comes in, needs to get out. The MGT 8.0 and the CEN 7.7 both have large pipes on them and that can't be coincidental.

I'd like to try that BUKU pipe, but at $110, it isn't going to happen. RCCA just did a review of it and they said it really does work. Maybe this would be the "be all, end all" pipe for the 5.9, or even any engine?[sm=idea.gif]
Old 09-21-2008, 01:29 AM
3-172IN MTN

Do you have a link to the BUKU pipe? Or an article, just curious to see what it says. It may be educational for me, as I am just learning about this stuff.

Edited due to bad spelling again
Old 09-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Revomad1

http://www.bukupower.com/index.html
Review links are at the bottom of the page.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 AM
black mamba

The latest issue of RCCA has a review as well. They had nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
mrizzo700

If a put a cen pipe on my stock header. am  I going to have to completely retune from scratch.

I'm knew to the 5.9. Is the cen pipe the best one for bottom grunt.

Sounds like that is what your saying.

low end torque is the only thing that tickles my fancy.

I'm like u prob never hit 3rd gear.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
bigwaltc

A Nitro engine revs high all the time there really is not any low rpm power you will have to go to gears for that like a 14 or 15 CB and a 52 spur [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: bigwaltc

A Nitro engine revs high all the time there really is not any low rpm power you will have to go to gears for that like a 14 or 15 CB and a 52 spur [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Sorry guys I think I responded to the wrong thread [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
BudBud

Talk about dragging one out of the archives! I did buy a CEN pipe and header and tried them on a couple of chassies. They definitely sound cool, but I could not make any power at any rpm that I could not make with the 086. Need one? I think I could find one for you. I would feel guilty selling that schtuff though. Glen