Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Picco engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 PM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picco engines

Yes BB i can confirm that the orion wasp .26 is a re-branded picco 26. My friend has one and I took it apart, it is piece for piece a picco engine.

Joe Im sure its not the max so I assume its the outlaw. I dont know of any other types made so thats what my assumption is based on [&:].

As for the orion .28 I remember allot of people saying that it was a real turd and some really cheap Taiwanese POS, so no I dont think its a picco in different clothing. Im guessing that picco kept the 28 for themselves.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM
-SomeGuy-

I just saw the two threads asking about a roto on the picco so here was my solution that I have shared with many and works perfectly.

The HPI roto backplate made to fit the s-25, f4.1 and f4.6 are the same and are a direct fit on any size picco. Thing is they go on engines that have an outer OWB and the Picco has it in the inside. The problem with this is the one way shaft will back out enough for you to lose all compression and possibly damage the bearing. My solution for this was simply to add a nut inside the roto to fill the space and prevent the shaft from backing out.

Simple as that.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

would any of you know what size silicone gasket i need to the exhaust manifold?

would this or this do it? yes its for the picco

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTM2&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNEZ5&P=7

I have found that there is no perfect fitting gasket for the picco and HPI header. With your engine you should have gotten a thicker, straight gasket made for a different type manifold. This is a perfect fit with the HPI header but still lacks the needed lip. Teflon plumbers tape applied on thick enough will mold itself to your header and will give you a perfect seal. Being teflon it will resist the heat and is really cheap to buy.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 AM
BudBud

I agree with Someguy, I have a heck of a time with Picco exhaust and have not found a good replacement soluton!

Here is my answer to Joe's question in the other thread....

I run the little hose looking gasket as long as I can scrounge one up. I have been going to stop by the auto parts store and see if I can find a like sized or a little thicker hose to cut sections off of. The rib in the silicone gaskets gets pinched and the silicone tears. The Tower Terror ones do not work and the Hpi ones also do not hang in there very long. I had some black ones with no rib that worked pretty good, but I cannot remember where I bought them. Bud
Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

thanks for the help guys i can grab that down the road, i do not have the cash right now for anything to fix the savage, i just got my new charger and throttle servo for my next hpi vehicle, so far it has set me back 990 dollars for it, so with that little hint maybe some of you guys can think of what I'm getting next, chris already knows. if you figure it out don't spoil it you will see soon enough.

BB any chance you can take a pic of what or talking about i got a pretty good idea but want to make sure i'm thinking what your saying.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys just use the little hose looking gasket, its all you need.... IMO its the best gasket i have ever used, it lasts forever and never tears and never leaks.... not having a lip just makes it less prone to tearing....
Old 10-17-2008, 01:59 AM
supertib

this is exactly what you need for any non Picco based tuned pipe..... normal gaskets will not work with this motor, however these gaskets are awesome so have no worries !! !!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13064
Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 AM
BudBud

That one Tib shared is the one I am talking about and their stock count is about to take a plunge! I have more Piccos than I do gaskets....for now.... Bud
Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

here is the peak

and the wasp
Those are Toki engines
Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 AM
BudBud

All the Piccos I ever saw had more ribs, smooth exhaust flanges with no grooves and that tattle tale nylon carb with the aluminum end bell.

That lower one has the Orion symbol, but the engine does not appear to be Picco. Bud
Old 10-17-2008, 02:24 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: supertib

this is exactly what you need for any non Picco based tuned pipe..... normal gaskets will not work with this motor, however these gaskets are awesome so have no worries !! !!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13064
I tried to buy six, but they only had two. I went ahead and back ordered the other four. I ran into that with con rods there too, bought four, they had one and they sent me a notice when the others were in. Bud
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

HOLY CRAP

i found a bug with my picco made a fix for it and holy #$%^ does it scream now.

ok from the beginning, the other day when i went to run my truck i noticed my carb was getting stuck at 1/4 throttle so i took a look at the linkage ans noticed the top cap of my servo horn the little nub that holds the metal ring broke off the top. so the top was just spinning and nothing would wold it, then i also i noticed this entire time i had the picco i never saw this but when i was wot it never opened the carb all the way, 1/2 at max. so i adjusted the linkage but to make it have 100% throttle it would stay 1/4 open or to keep it closed it would only go half at max, so i started to play with other servo horns linkage etc.. nothing was working. i do not have the money to replace the horn, so i put the pieces together and took a zip tie with a lighter and melted a drop of plastic on each side of the nub, then used some CA glue to make it stronger. so i got up today glue was dry so i did a test fit, and darn another linkage problem when i would apply brake it would have know where for the throttle to go, so i sat back and thought about something and went to work and made my own linkage, and now i get both full throttle and full brake and a very clean setup. here is a few pics I'll get a video later when my cam is charged. i went out an tested it, holy $%^# i have never seen this side of my picco before...

Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 AM
-SomeGuy-

Wait a minute! Your telling me that you've been very impressed with your picco so far but its only been running 1/2 throttle since the day you got it? You must be really happy now lol.

Nice fix, it does look nice and clean.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:55 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Yay Italian Picco quality!!!

Going back to the store on Monday...
Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 AM
-SomeGuy-

WOW what the hell? Did you get it NIB like that? Im sure you wont have any trouble with the exchange but yeah, that sucks. I guess its bound to happen now and then.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:45 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Brand new. I noticed it while installing the carb. "What the hell?" was my reaction too.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Gbaby158

Right i have the picco p3 26 max in my hpi mt2, how do i tune it ? im finding it really hard to do, everytime the engines on for about a 1min at the most it starts going on its own because the carb and got stuck and is really hard to move, what do you think is wrong ? someone said it was to do with the engine getting to hot, how do i stop it from getting to hot ?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:55 AM
BudBud

You could be experiencing a couple of things. First, the Picco needs to be really rich when cold, make sure it is well warmed up before you start tuning or you wind up too lean.

At 0050 and 0055 the huge plumes of fat exhaust are from stopping to put turnbuckles back on. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OWVNyOzmo8&feature=related]link[/link]

You are probably experiencing one of the most frustrating Picco issues, the sticking carburetor slide. What happens is the slide expands at a different rate than the aluminum sleeve it rides in and it binds up when it gets heat soaked. Let it cool off and it works fine, start driving it and as the engine gets hot, it stops sliding. I have one that locks so tight, I cannot pull it out with my fingers. Most of them are not that bad though and can be fixed by removing the carburetor, removing the slide, chuck the slide up in a drill, smear toothpaste on the slide and run the drill to clean out and polish the slide and the aluminum bore. Also check the edges of the blades on the slide to make sure they are not bent outward or have been roughed up. By blades I mean the sharp curves on the leading edge of the slide as it goes in the carburetor. After running the toothpaste through for a few minutes, I just wash it with hot water and use q-tips to help clean it out. I use a heat gun to help dry it or compressed air and then go try it.

Another problem has been the idle screw is too tight in the slide. This one is easy to detect, when it is stuck, just back the screw out. If it remains stuck, the screw was not your problem. I do the same thing with it, chuck it up in a drill and run the tip of it on fingernail pads or very fine sandpaper to take off a little metal. This is another heat soaking problem, the slide and screw expand as they get hot and the slide starts sticking on the screw.

Here's another example of the rich on cold thing, when I refuel the truck, it is slow to take off and smokes heavily, by the time it makes a lap, it is warmed up and accelerates again. At 1:05 there is a prime example. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDPpRdj_Vg]link[/link] Hope it helps you out, Bud
Old 10-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Gbaby158

thanks for your help BudBud will try that when i get home and then update when i've done it saying what happend.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 AM
BudBud

Please do, I have heard of lightly sanding one with fine sand paper on the slide. I have not done that yet. Just be careful not to scar that area where the plastic boot rides, I try to chuck them out on the end where the throttle linkage arm attaches. Just enough to turn it, we are not talking any big power show here, just some gentle abrasion to shine things up. [8D]
Old 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Yay Italian Picco quality!!!

Going back to the store on Monday...

Wow I Have never seen anything like this ! it almost looks like a void in the casting...How on earth could a worker at a factory still proceed to press bearings into a block that looked like that ?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Gbaby158

Can you tell me the perfect tune for my engine please.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Gbaby158

SomeGuy when i get home i will show you how to fit a HPI T-15 roto start to a Picco p3 26.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:53 AM
3-172IN MTN

Got my P3 28 today on eBay!!! Its great to work nights as I get to see all the hot deals. NIB 180 shipped not a bad deal at all.

Now I have to talk to tib and see what he can do for me!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
rcnitrohead

^^ AWW cmon man! I've seen 3 P/S .28's go for anywhere from $168 to $175 shipped BIN just this month. I was soooo tempted to snatch up the $160 one, then I remembered I wouldn't have a truck to stick it into[:-] hehe. Ah well, when I go back to work I'll scrape up some more cash and get a new truck with a Picco.

Joe, I've had almost the same situation! Just half a gallon ago, I've discovered that my STS has only been going up to about 85%-90% throttle!! Boy was I pissed! Well, I've wanted to do the OFNA throttle mod for a while now, so sometime within the next 2 months I'll do that with an alum thottle arm and a 3 speed. I've been neglecting my Savage, all of my time has been going to scratch building with my 1/8 Camaro, I wanna go out and play[&o]!

Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.