Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage X SS or XL

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
thzero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X SS or XL

Yes, been asked a thousand times... and I've read all I can read I can on the new XL. I realize there is some upgrades to the XL, but I'm not really sold on the 5.9 engine. If I wanted to upgrade I think I'd prefer to have my pick of other aftermarket engines. Other than updated drive shafts, extended wheel base, and 3 speed is there anything I'm really missing (and I'm not sure longer wheel base or bigger tires are "must haves" for my bashing). It seems you have to update the XL to the XSS brakes and upper a-arms (to be able to adjust camber). And there are more 'bodies', 'rollbars', etc. for standard length body.

Thanks for any additional info on stuff I might be missing.

P.S. I know XSS doesn't come with servos or radio.. I'm fine, I have some HiTec servos and a M8 w/FM modules (yeah, sorta old, but it still works).
Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Savage X SS or XL

Schaumburg ej?! I'm not too far from you...bash session?

The XL comes stock with a vented 16t CB, aluminum clutch shoes, re-chargeable hump pack, MUCH thicker drive-shafts, sturdier drive cups, and sooner or later you will appreciate the overall much bigger size of the truck when bashing it. You could get a new XL from ebay for pretty cheap, and sell the radio gear and the motor for a decent amount and get yourself whatever power plant you would like.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 PM
BudBud

Watch the auctions and build your own. Pick the engine and exhaust of your choice. X chassis plates are very cheap, use the XL differentials, bones, axles and engine mount. Arms, radio boxes, bumpers and skid plates bring next to nothing. Buy most of it from the same seller and get a shippin discount. The short bodies will work, you have the strong drive train and the truck is very stable because of the added width. Two speeds, spurs, brakes and steering linkage is all cheap. My favorite truck to run is the XL chassis with a two speed and a Picco 28. I built two from parts. If you wanted to go XL length down the road it would not cost much. You can build a very nice truck for much less than the XL costs with the parts you have. Bud
Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
thzero

Actually Streamwood now. Have a buddy that lives out 20 just past plank, still has lots of open space in development so we do things there sometimes. Still annoyed by all the track closings in the area. Where do you bash around here?

Thanks Bud... actually I have no parts (unless you count a POS T-Maxx!) except the servos (reusing those). So thats why I was looking at the Savage X SS vs. Savage XL. Got the hump pack too (1600MaH Orion one). Aluminum clutch shoes would be a nice addition, but not really worth the price diff.

Oh the XSS comes with a pull-start... pretty easy to shift over to the roto-start for it?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
BudBud

If you have servos and radio, you have a good step in the right direction. The SS comes with the K4.6 which has been a problematic and I would not say it has any less problems than th 5.9. If you can find the X SS kit without engine, that would work! Good luck! Bud
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
thzero

Ok Bud.. you don't happen to know the part #? Haven't seen any SS kits anywhere without engine. Have seen them mentioned.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:09 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

I bashed around Stearns and Mungar...where there is an entire industrial area growing. Few times I've been to the Schaumburg Flyers parking lot with my on-road
Old 10-24-2008, 04:04 PM
thzero

Ah, I've gone over to the Streamwood HS parking lot.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Revomad1

ORIGINAL: BudBud

If you have servos and radio, you have a good step in the right direction. The SS comes with the K4.6 which has been a problematic and I would not say it has any less problems than th 5.9. If you can find the X SS kit without engine, that would work! Good luck! Bud
The X SS kits without an engine are hard to find. Tower hobbies had them when I ordered mine, but they were only $65 less than the one with the K4.6. I bought the kit with the K4.6 and sold the engine brand new on Ebay for $120. I ordered a Picco P3 .28 at the same time I bought the kit.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM
thzero

Well, I'm waiting on an eBay bid myself... yay, now I own a Savage X SS... is it time for some T-Maxx crunching?!