Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Receiver not working

Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM
tiemac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Receiver not working

I rolled ( not a bad roll) my Savage X 4.6 and lost receiver output. I have checked and I am getting power from battery thru switch to the receiver, But nothing to servo's. I checked the crystal and it is ok. Is it broke or is there something else to test?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Parputt537

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Receiver not working

Could be that a wire came loose inside the receiver box on the the board. Only way to find out is to open the box and check all the soldered connections.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Argess

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crystals are very fragile. Maybe try a friends crystals (you need to change both....TX and RCVR matched set). OR, try holding the throttle down, or the steering hard over, and shake the receiver (or whole car). Intermittent crystals sometimes makes momentary contact.....like a blown flashlight bulb. If something happens, try new crystals (borrow friend's first to confirm).

Parputt is also right, but maybe you can try the "shake" test first....it's easier. If you do go on to play with the Rcvr PCB, do the same as the shake test, but try bending the board very gently and/or put pressure on each component with your finger (while holding the TX hard over, or full throttle). If something happens, try re-soldering that component.

Another problem can be a jammed servo. It loads the battery down so much none of the servos work. Try unplugging one of them...say the steering servo, and see if the throttle one starts to work.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:18 PM
tiemac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Argess

Crystals are very fragile. Maybe try a friends crystals (you need to change both....TX and RCVR matched set). OR, try holding the throttle down, or the steering hard over, and shake the receiver (or whole car). Intermittent crystals sometimes makes momentary contact.....like a blown flashlight bulb. If something happens, try new crystals (borrow friend's first to confirm).

Parputt is also right, but maybe you can try the "shake" test first....it's easier. If you do go on to play with the Rcvr PCB, do the same as the shake test, but try bending the board very gently and/or put pressure on each component with your finger (while holding the TX hard over, or full throttle). If something happens, try re-soldering that component.

Another problem can be a jammed servo. It loads the battery down so much none of the servos work. Try unplugging one of them...say the steering servo, and see if the throttle one starts to work.
Tried each servo separately, I will check the crystal. I think I have another set. I looked at the board and did not see any loose connections. I will recheck with power on and throttle full. That will have to be tomorrow as for now I can barely move. To much Turkey dinner hehehe
Old 11-28-2008, 12:52 AM
tiemac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That was weird, I went to test the crystal and board but when I connected the power and flipped the switch it works like normal and I can make it malfunction again. It did not get wet. Well I will run it tomorrow and see.