Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Ever break one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
tiemac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever break one of these?

I broke the rear center drive shaft today. Not sure how I I was not bashing that hard hehehe. Picked up a new one from LHS on the way home. Any suggestions on a easy way to replace it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65808.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1081073  
Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 PM
BudBud

Default RE: Ever break one of these?

I usually use the fuel tank side, remove the two side engine mount plate screws, the end plate screw behind the shocks and the lower side skid plate screw. Normally you can flex the side plate enough to get past the locking nub on the shock tower. Just twist the opposing plate, using the control arm on the fuel tank side, far enough to slide the shaft in. If you are not comfortable doing the plate flexing, reomove the screw behind the shock tower and the side screw for the lower skid plate. Now you should be able to flex the plates just enough to remove the rear differential, shock tower, and suspension from the plates. Put the shaft inplace and the puzzle becomes getting everything aligned at once going back together. You need to get both nubs and the shaft in place at the same time...... Hope you find the information helpful.... Glen
Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
tiemac

Thanks Glen. I will try to fix tomorrow morning. Going to go and run it again tomorrow since still no snow at the end of November. Kinda strange for Salt Lake City. Its usually a lot colder by this time of year.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:52 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

wow, out of all my bones, the center ones are still nearly mint! The only issue I have with the center is the cups get warped...[X(]

Snow...up to 6 inches by Monday; I'm glad I already did a pre-run in the cold weather and my X4.6 is ready to go! Water-proof steering servo, greased the throttle/brake servo, 16t CB, and Pro-Line paddle tires should equal to a fun time! [>:]
Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Never broken a center, but my stock ones were twisted nearly 360 degrees when I replaced them.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM
574kman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

excesive slop in the driveline can cause dog bones to snap replacing all bones and cups and out drives with the heavy duty ss parts will help
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
tiemac

The truck only has 1 1/2 gal thru it, I would hope the drive train would last longer than that before a rebuild is necessary.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:56 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: 574kman

excesive slop in the driveline can cause dog bones to snap replacing all bones and cups and out drives with the heavy duty ss parts will help
I've read that the stock parts are better because 1.) they are cheaper and 2.) the stock ones bend, while the SS just break.

ORIGINAL: tiemac

The truck only has 1 1/2 gal thru it, I would hope the drive train would last longer than that before a rebuild is necessary.
Mine has nearly two gallons through it and everything IS pretty much lasting, considering the beating it's gotten. Some slight warping, but everything is still good. If one races, then yes, replace it ASAP, but for bashing...run until it breaks and just make a note of parts that look like they may break so that you have a heads up on what parts to get.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 PM
tiemac

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I usually use the fuel tank side, remove the two side engine mount plate screws, the end plate screw behind the shocks and the lower side skid plate screw. Normally you can flex the side plate enough to get past the locking nub on the shock tower. Just twist the opposing plate, using the control arm on the fuel tank side, far enough to slide the shaft in. If you are not comfortable doing the plate flexing, reomove the screw behind the shock tower and the side screw for the lower skid plate. Now you should be able to flex the plates just enough to remove the rear differential, shock tower, and suspension from the plates. Put the shaft inplace and the puzzle becomes getting everything aligned at once going back together. You need to get both nubs and the shaft in place at the same time...... Hope you find the information helpful.... Glen
Thanks again for the help BudBud. Install went well. I was almost ready to give up on the first method, then one last try and she went in. Test run, everything ok.