Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

steering servo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
twobnvd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering servo question

My stock steering servo just went out. I am looking for a good low end servo. If you have bought one and are extremely happy with it can you link me to a good replacement. I would appreciate it. I have stock reciever and remote so I would want it to work with the stock reciever as well. I want something with atleast the same amount of travel but also maybe a littler faster.
Thanks for your help..
I found this one on ebay fairly cheap the stock one says 6.kg and this one is 9.kg it seems a bit stronger but speed wise I am not sure also will it fit in the stock reciever. Thanks for all your help..
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-52g-9-0kg-cm-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
hpibasher2

Default RE: steering servo question

First, if you're still using AA's you will need a reciever pack to power anything but a stock servo. Hell AA's shoulden't even be used with that. Anyways. Good, cheap, low end= Hitec 645MG. I am satisfied with mine, if you use Ebay and want to be really cheap the stock MGT servo is just as good... if not better.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM
twobnvd

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated... I ll check it out. These hump packs most refer to can you link me to one.. I should pick up one of those as well? It provides more power? If so I gues it will provide better esponse time and more torque due to the power increase? Not trying to act like I know just seems to make sense.. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

If you look at servo specifications you will see they normally list 4.8 and 6 volts. The 6 volts delivers quicker speed and higher torque. Yes hump pack will give much better performance. How much are you willing to spend on a servo?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7&I=LXMEY1&P=K
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
twobnvd

Ive seen upwards of 100 bux. Not that much. Thanks for the info on the hump pack. Will that fit into the battery compartment? Thanks again
Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 PM
46u

That is the style hump pack I run. Are you using a stock RTR radio?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:54 PM
twobnvd

Yeah. I am thinking of upgrading soon but just kinda got into the hobby so not sure what all the befenits are
Old 12-05-2008, 09:25 PM
46u

The reason is if you have the stock radio I do not recommend a digital servo. So I recommend looking at the Hitec-HS-985MG. A middle of the road servo with better performance then the 645. I have run both and the 985 is MUCH better. All so get a hump pack. If and when you do up grade your radio I would recommend a digital servo like the AE 1015 which I am running now in my buggy and will be putting one in my race Savage shortly.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-985MG
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
twobnvd

Thanks for the input 46. So if I go with the hump pack and the 985 I should see some improvement? Thanks again I will follow the advice and see how it turns out. I will post up after I get it and have everything installed thanks again... It is realy appreciated.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 PM
twobnvd

One more question will digital not work with the stock remote? I know you reccomended agianst it but is it not compatable?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
46u

Some will dispute this but servo manufactures recommend you have a radio with EPA (end point adjustment) to keep from putting to much stress on the servo which could burn it up. I personally take them at there advice as I am not going to take a chance on burning up my high dollar servo to find out. All so EPA will make a antiloge servo last longer. Most RTR radios do not have EPA.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: twobnvd

Thanks for the input 46. So if I go with the hump pack and the 985 I should see some improvement? Thanks again I will follow the advice and see how it turns out. I will post up after I get it and have everything installed thanks again... It is realy appreciated.
A good servo with a hump pack makes a BIG difference!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried the cheaper ones with lower torque and slow speed and after running good servos I will never go back.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
twobnvd

Ok thanks for the input really appreciated...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 PM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

well i could swear my stock controller has a epa,i adjusted once not know and turned it all the way and it stoped my steering and it took me a min to figure out what i had done.and im using a digi and seems to be fine.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:59 PM
twobnvd

I have the hpi tf4. I am not totaly sure what the EPA is or to tell if u have one. But mine has a f/r switch and then a servo foward and reverse swithces it also has a throttle adjuster and a steering adjuster. Then one more knob that has st,dr not sure what that one is but I just want to mkae sure I get this right before I go out and buy the servo. Thanks for all the input guys.
This is my radio
http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=80550
Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: wingedwheel-0420

well i could swear my stock controller has a epa,i adjusted once not know and turned it all the way and it stoped my steering and it took me a min to figure out what i had done.and im using a digi and seems to be fine.
I believe if you check you are talking about the steering dual rate which is not the same as EPA. On EPA you adjust the limit of the right and left separate. On steering rate it limits how far both wheels turn at the same time. I guess you could limit the travel with the steering rate but you more then likely will loose some of your turning radius. But it is NOT the same as EPA.

I just went to HPI US web site and no the stock TX does not have EPA.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

I have a digital servo in my truck right now and it has the stock radio system. I haven't seen anything but positive results...BUT I don't hold and turn the steering to one side longer than a couple seconds.

What truck is the servo going into? If it's going into a X, then you will need a different connector so that the hump-pack will connect. You may as well get the radio box from the XL since it already has the connector and a charge outlet as well. Ebay has the entire box with connector for less than the connector itself in stores.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:59 AM
3-172IN MTN

You can always get [link=http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=11130.17]this[/link] battery pack. It comes with a charger and a lead so you do not have to remove it from the battery box.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 AM
46u

I do not do RTR so I know very little about the stock radio other then what little I have read on HPI web site. I run a off on switch with a charging plug built in so I do not have to remove the battery to charge.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
twobnvd

ORIGINAL: 3-172IN MTN

You can always get [link=http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=11130.17]this[/link] battery pack. It comes with a charger and a lead so you do not have to remove it from the battery box.
I like that pack.. Not having to remove it is a big plus. Thanks for the info. Also I have the savage 3.5 the europe edition. I bought it from a guy that was overseas but know its in the U.S
Old 12-06-2008, 12:53 PM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

oh ok,all i knew is it was doing somthing to the steering,but my digi servo still seemd to be alot better then the stock 1
Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM
rclugnut10

i run a tower ts-150 in mine yeah it has a .21 speed which is arguably slow... but for me it's plenty fast and gobs of torque it runs for like $40 and is a great servo i got the kit version so i can't really compair to the stock servo but i also run 1/10 2wds my truck has a .21 servo and that is fast enough for me my buggy has a .19 in my buggy and i have no issues with speed and they handle way better than my savage the whole 2 in thinner wheels up front may have somthing to do with that..., but each to his own

here's the tower
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPHD4&P=ML

the lug
Old 12-06-2008, 06:40 PM
twobnvd

Thanks lug I was actualy looking at that one but wasnt sure about the speed of it. It is very compareable to the hs 645mg ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ89&P=M ) which alot of people have been recomending. Are you running a hump pack with 6 volts or the 4 aa batteries? Just dont want to go after it and find out with the battery pack that it is a totaly diffent scenario. Thanks agian.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:46 PM
rclugnut10

the link that 46u posten, the orion marathon 1600 hump fits just fine u probally have more room than the AA's, idk i just got a rechargable pack (venom 1200, decent but the orion is way better ) and have never even used the AA holder... so yeah

the tower is a tad slower but has 60 oz more torque i'ld take that torque i run 124 in my evader, so when you're driving a truck this big and heavy, it's no buggy so you're not gunna be super nimble so the .21 time gets u there just fine espeacailly when u calculate the delays from tire roll and suspention compression but thats my thinks...

the lug
Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 PM
twobnvd

Thanks Lug I realy appreciate the advice. Looks like Ill be going with a new hump pack and probably the tower servo unless someone gives me a REAL good reason why not to. Are the internals replaceable? That was the one good thing I heard about the hutech servos are the internals are replaceable..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.