Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

The wait is over... modded 5.9 video

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The wait is over... modded 5.9 video

The [link=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KuSdUOXhWOU]modded 5.9[/link] video is up. This was a long time coming and not an easy combinataion to figure out. I ran it yesterday and the day before and another day in the snow. This thing had a horrible off idle bog that was driving me crazy. I tried the Ofna 086, the Dynamite 053, the legendary CEN and nothing got me past that bog. I tried Hpi cold, Picco medium, Picco hot, Ofna medium hot and I just did not stumble on to the solution. I was talking to Supertib on the phone about it and he said... "Try a longer header." That is simple enough, it worked! It also runs better on the NovaRossi carburetor than the K carb.

It has more power than it ever did before, it never lean bogs on top end, it runs faster, that super annoying low end cackle is gone. The temperatures were cold, but it was cold outside. 32 degrees F or zero C.

Thanks again Tib, this is great! I sent this engine to him with a couple of Picco projects, I asked him to take a look at it and see if he could figure out why they had no top end power. All I asked him to do was fix that part, if it was timing or port design, just take that lagging bog out. This is another dream machine, easy to start, cool running, big power.... once the pipe was right, it was pretty easy to tune. It will run on a lot richer fuel at low speed than a stock 5.9 and I did not have to run it super lean to get power.

I do not expect it to last forever and it is still not as strong as the modded Picco 28s, but I got way more than I asked for.... much, much more than I asked for. Glen
Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 PM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: The wait is over... modded 5.9 video

I like how you ran along side the cop in the beginning
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
BudBud

He actually came along when I stopped to refuel, I poured fuel in that sucker in a big hurry, right out of the gallon jug, that was actually about 2/3s of the way through my tuning session. I thought it would be a fun clip to start and end with.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
xc7

Nice Vid Glen, definately shows a huge improvement over the stocker. You've got it set up nicely too. Love the dirt flat track you have there also, here it's 12"+ snow everywhere with the cold temps (0F and colder) Enjoy the runtime while you still have a chance. I'm trying to gather some snow bashing vids each time it gets warm for a day.

Another great job by Tib!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:20 PM
BudBud

Thanks! The county parks department might not be too happy with me, they had just groomed it for a horse show coming to town, it was pillowy soft out there. Now it has little ruts all over it.... [8D] nothing that would injure or trip up a horse though. That lot is where they long lead them to get the horses in the training mode and take the edge off of their nerves before going into the arena. It just happens to be on the north side of the river. All the trees on the river break the south wind a little and make it easier to stay out when it is freezing, not to mention cutting way down on wind noise.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:18 PM
stussman

Rip that ground up. Stuff the horses. They are only good for a bet, dog food and horse power.
I wish HPI would make/give us a REAL DIRTY *****e of and engine to start with.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

that was making so sick power you could easly see that over the stock k 5.9, that thing was ripping for sure, it sounded great, what tires were those they didn't look like terra's i'ld call the GT1's or GT2's

the lug
Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
BudBud

Those were Terra Pins, no doubt about it, look how tall they are when it goes by....
Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
hhhs001

ORIGINAL: BudBud
That lot is where they long lead them to get the horses in the training mode and take the edge off of their nerves before going into the arena.
Hey, waddaya reckon will happen if you ran that truck at the same time the horses were "taking the edge off their nerves"?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
BudBud

I reckon the Sheriff's Office would soon be there to ask me to move on. [8D]

I went out again today and broke the transmission... I probably better get used to that! [8D]
Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
hhhs001

Did you break another 3-speed?

That's what, 5 3-speeds and counting?

Hehehe, supertib should advertise his mods with a "Guaranteed to break your 3-speeds".
Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
BudBud

I did, this one was my fault though, the screws backed out on the gear holder that has the one way bearing. It got into the gear set and made its marks. I knew there was something foul today, I should have investigated earlier. I was just having too much fun ripping. I think I have enough spare parts to put one back together.... it ruined the flat washer too and I cannot find one the right size... still looking though...

Tib needs to advertise like a certain Cummins diesel hop up company does.... "Broken transmissions and smoked clutches are our specialty."

I met that guy at a Flying J once, in a new painted up quadcab, he told me his R&D with the new engine was limited by the drivetrain behind it. I think he said the truck he was driving dynoed at 700 horsepower and 1400 foot pounds... wonder how that breaks down scale wise?

Anyway, this engine does make some serious power, he really did a nice job. Glen
Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Did someone say cummins diesel?

I have a 94 that is lightly modded compared to what a lot of guys do. It made 337hp and 772ft lbs of torque at the wheels and will run low 14's at the drag strip[8D] Also gets 22mpg cruising the interstate with a light foot.

That sure is a sweet savage. It sounds mean and is flat tearing up the dirt
Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 AM
roccos_van

Looks good Glen. Happy New Year BTW. I see much, much snappier performance and it sounds like it's revving higher as well.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:21 AM
BudBud

I have two Cummins, but they are the old Bosch rotary pump trucks.. a 1991 W 350 and a 1993 W 250 .. both five speeds... sweet stuff, but not big power.. they haul all the RC stuff I can pack on board with no issues though! [8D]

Thanks Roccos... Best of the New Year to you and yours as well....

As impressive as it was in the dirt, it was also doing wheelies with ease in the grass. It was fighting an internal transmission problem and broke it the next day. I stole enough parts off of my Modded 5.9 truck to put this one back togeher and bought two more three speeds last night. I let the screws get loose on the one way bearing plate/gear, they have chewed the washer paper thin and have about ground the heads off of two of the screws. I imagine that is like running an engaged transmission brake, so I am kind of anxious to see what it does this afternoon.

Supertib did a great job on it, but it was a ton of work for him and they have marginal pistons and connecting rods. I just hope it does not scatter before we can get some good footage of it. It still is no Picco, but it is showing a huge improvement over stock. We are hoping the increased fuel flow will keep it cooler internally and lube the parts better.... hoping.... not down on my knees, but hoping.... that it runs for a little while!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
nitrojimbo

You should jump the river with your savage.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
BudBud

Okay, I put together a transmission and thought I was set, I managed to break an upright, I have bearings out in the rear differential and the transmssion has no first gear. The engine runs great though and I went ahead and beat it up for a while.

[link=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jqS2EadnJVM]Today's Link 01/02/2009[/link]
Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Van Pelt

all I thought it needed was a CEN pipe? (note: type in sarcastic tone....)...
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 AM
roccos_van

ORIGINAL: nitrojimbo

You should jump the river with your savage.
I would rather he 'jumped the shark' with it...
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Van Pelt

all I thought it needed was a CEN pipe? (note: type in sarcastic tone....)...
I wouldn't run a CEN pipe on that masterpiece....it's much too chic chic for that.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I have two Cummins, but they are the old Bosch rotary pump trucks.. a 1991 W 350 and a 1993 W 250 .. both five speeds... sweet stuff, but not big power.. they haul all the RC stuff I can pack on board with no issues though! [8D]
Those VE pump'd 89-93's are some good old trucks[8D] My buddy had a 93 model 4x4 250 5 speed with some light mods. A few weeks after i got out of high school we took it out to Colorado from Kentucky to work on a farm of some guy he knew. Man, what a ride that was. We left about 1am, and drove for about 20 hours straight stopping for nothing but food and fuel. Man, the good old days

My girlfriend got me this screwdriver as one of my small Christmas presents. Whenever i get my t-maxx back up and going it is going to be a sweet tuning screwdriver Its hard to tell, but it has the cummins logo on it[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39096.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1106759