Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI Savage Flux RCU review thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 AM
mrpints69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Savage Flux RCU review thread

That answered a good bit of them. I am still wondering how well it will hold up when it hits some mud or water. So the LiPo batteries are the strongest? will the s3 give more power then the s2. When I say that I know they do but will the engine be able to use all the power as fast as an s3 can dish it out. I am a pretty experienced Nitro rc owner and operator. I have a broken savage 25. I drove that thing till the engine almost melted. I got a temp gauge shortly after that. So I still have it, but it's not worth fixing. Not too long after that I got a Revo 3.3 it was nice, decently fast. But I left the air filter off one time and drove it for an hour and it got a bunch of dirt and sand in the engine. I haven't been back since. Been taking a break from rc. But I just noticed the Flex was just coming out. I haven't drove an electric rc in years so I just had a few unanswered questions.

What batteries are the best for getting the most power out of a savage Flex.
Would it be liPo s2, s3, or A-123 batts or something else?
How long would they last?
How long will the batteries take to charge?
What much would they cost each?

Will it be safe to drive through mud or small water puddles or even in a light rain?
What is the expected cost of a Savage Flex?

and Thanks scarletboa for answering all the questions you could.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
generis

Batts, charger: http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=253282
Truck : http://www.rcplanet.com/SearchResult...x=0&Search.y=0
or : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXWLZ8**&P=ML
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.amainhobbies.com also has the truck too. Tower offers a few different ones...........I'm assuming different colored bodies?[8D]
Old 01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

if you want insame power LiPos without paying too much like you do for those maxamps batteries, get [link=http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=60]these[/link] batteries. the are more then enough for the savage. they are also MUCH cheaper. for a charger, get [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028]this[/link] charger nad if you want to charge both batteries at the same time, get [link=https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6569&Product_Name=Twin_pack_charge_lead_(2_x_3S)6S_]this.[/link]

that is only about $200 compared to the $640 that maxamps package that has essentially the same stuff. 250mah doesn't make much difference.

you can take small puddles and very light rain with this savage, but i wouldn't push it.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 AM
mrpints69

Thanks for the info guys. One more question. Would you get more power out of [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/17984]Thunder Power "eXtreme V2" 3S Li-Polymer Battery 25C (11.1V/5000mAh)[/link] Then you would get out of the [link=http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=60]Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 11.1V, 5000mAh, 3S1P, 15C[/link] ?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 AM
scarletboa

both packs will perform equally. also, i don't think that thunder power battery will fit.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 AM
mrpints69

Humm.. ok. I just thought that because the one pack was 15c and the other was 25c. I haven't quit figured out what the that stands for. Thanks again
Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 AM
scarletboa

the c rating is how much you can discharge the battery at one time. these packs are claimed at 15c but are more like 22C-25C. it will make no difference at all between each battery. if you had a much bigger motor and ESC, you would need a higher c battery or a higher capacity battery to make up the difference.

for example, a 20c 5000mah battery will run at 100amps no problem.

a 20c 1000mah battery will run at 20 amps.

a 10c 1000mah battery will run at 10 amps.

also, the c ratings you see are constant ratings. those packs are both capable of 40c bursts. that is 200amps right there. i believe the most the motor in the new savage can draw a max of about 85amps.

just get the cheaper battery. it will not make any difference between the 2 packs in run-time or performance.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 AM
rdumali

Hey guys, just want to know if you can race the Savage Flux against E-Revos and if it will be competitive. It seems as though the reviews I've been reading have been raving about it being the ultimate BASHING truck. So far there have been no feedback on whether you can race with the new truck.... [sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 AM
mrpints69

from what I have been reading up on it seems to me that the Savage Flux is going to have about 5mph more top speed then the new e revo brushless. If I had to guess I would bet that the revo would out maneuver or handle better then a savage flux. But I am wondering if the savage flux is going to accelerate any faster then the e revo brushless. I would bet it dose, but idk. The point is, If you want to bash and have fun get a Savage flux brushless. If you want to race on tracks and do some real racing then get a e revo brushless. But they haven't really had time to review either of them let alone compare the two.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM
bzinfinity

If it stands to reason that the Flux is a converted Savage X, and the E-Revo is just a brushless version of the older E-Revo, there will be no contest really for racing.

The Revo is a race truck. The E-Revo is an even better race truck.

But neither of those will take hits or jump like a Savage.

You don't see many Savages in races around here, and the ones you do see have been slammed to the ground and are so far from stock it's almost not even an HPI product anymore. Whereas you constantly see Stock or slightly modified Revos and Platinums.

If you have plans to race, you should probably lean towards the E-Revo.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
rdumali

Thanks guys! I kinda knew the answer to that... but being a fan of the Savage for about 5 years now, I was really hoping that they (i.e., HPI) would somehow live up to their brand (i.e., HPIRACING)!

I've never had any other truck other than my Savage SS and Savage X SS. I use to win races with them, but now that I really think about it, I guess I won more because of the reliability of my truck than making fast enough laps... and besides, ever since the Revo 3.3 came out, it became a little harder for me to win!

Thank you very much!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: mrpints69

from what I have been reading up on it seems to me that the Savage Flux is going to have about 5mph more top speed then the new e revo brushless. If I had to guess I would bet that the revo would out maneuver or handle better then a savage flux. But I am wondering if the savage flux is going to accelerate any faster then the e revo brushless. I would bet it dose, but idk. The point is, If you want to bash and have fun get a Savage flux brushless. If you want to race on tracks and do some real racing then get a e revo brushless. But they haven't really had time to review either of them let alone compare the two.
The E Revo BL uses the same exact Mamba Monster ESC and 2200kv motor the Savage Flux uses. Gearing and batteries are what will ultimately determine overall performance.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM
scarletboa

any updates on the review?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:08 PM
mrpints69

ok so the Flux is out. Dose anyone have one? Would they like to give us a post and let us know how it is going/performing?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
MadManAndrew

did you say you can use castle link to program the ESC?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 PM
ruststang94
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

if you want insame power LiPos without paying too much like you do for those maxamps batteries, get [link=http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=60]these[/link] batteries. the are more then enough for the savage. they are also MUCH cheaper. for a charger, get [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028]this[/link] charger nad if you want to charge both batteries at the same time, get [link=https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6569&Product_Name=Twin_pack_charge_lead_(2_x_3S)6S_]this.[/link]

that is only about $200 compared to the $640 that maxamps package that has essentially the same stuff. 250mah doesn't make much difference.

you can take small puddles and very light rain with this savage, but i wouldn't push it.
Do you need to get a power supply with this charger?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:19 PM
BLRunner

Here is a mini review to tide you over. Has some decent pictures too.
[link]http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18347&page=2[/link]
Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any running results with dual 3s lipos for 22.2 volts?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
black mamba

My Flux should be here by the end of this week. I was just notified that it will ship out UPS tomorrow. I've already got new tires/wheels/body ready to go on it. Now I have to get my nitro Savage ready to sell....time to clean it up and make her all purdy.[8D]

A guy at work that is into planes turned me onto Zippy lipos. They are nicely priced and offer some crazy "power" for that price. I may look into those as I'm bouncing around a few different lipo brands right now, but I do know I will be running 3S lipos. With the tires I have waiting, it should be very near 60mph, if not as fast as HPI's 62mph monster.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 AM
BANKRUPTER

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Any running results with dual 3s lipos for 22.2 volts?
There is over on savage central. Reporting blown pinions as expected... Think that's why HPI asked him to review this on the 7.4's.. But hey nothing is bullet proof out the box!

On this any updates??? []
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
black mamba

Considering the massive jolt of a 6S setup, ahem, nothing is immune from carnage. Going easy on the trigger will no doubt help some.[8D]