Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Using Blue Thunder Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM
smeyers2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Blue Thunder Fuel

I read Blue Thunder is not the preferred fuel, so I was wondering which is and why. The reason I ask is I have been using Blue Thunder for years, but being a novice don't know that much about it. It is the only fuel my LHS sells. I will be breaking in a new engine soon, so I am ok to change fuel if I need to. (there are several LHS in my area)

Thanks everyone... as always, your info and input are INVALUABLE !
Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 AM
dakamat

Default RE: Using Blue Thunder Fuel

The blue thinder HP8 is a great fuel. Me i use Byron GEN 2 race and Trinity MOnster horsepower, and i,ve no problem.
The only fuel to avoid is the Power Master
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

And Traxxas from what I have heard^
Old 01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
smeyers2

I am running Blue Thunder Sport... Don't know what HP8 is...
Old 01-23-2009, 06:25 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: smeyers2

I am running Blue Thunder Sport... Don't know what HP8 is...
I'm assuming that [link=http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN2470]it is[/link] part of the name of the fuel.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Brand is not the only thing to consider but all so the blend. It all has to do with the oil content. Sports fuels have TOO much oil and can do more harm then good. My favorite is Byron 3000 Race and my second favorite is O'Donnell Race Blend but the O'Donnell R2R has WAY to much oil. I will not use more then 12% oil content!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know some are going to say something about the cut and paste but it only backs up what I have experienced and most experienced RCers will agree.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

Was that "some" directed towards me?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 AM
smeyers2

Wow ! Your post is excellent.. very informative and detailed. It's always nicer (at least for me) to know WHY something is being recommended. Thank you...

I'll try my #2 and #3 LHS and look for the Byron 3000 Race or the O'Donnells Race Blend, but NOT the R2R.

Then it's off to work to start the breakin inside where it's 65 degrees not 28!

Thanks Again.. Later
Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Blue Thunder HP8 is suposedly blended for big block engines, and it only has 8% oil.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:52 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I just bought a gallon of Trinity 20% w/ 12% oil content. Ill see how i like it. [8D]
Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: jbooker82

Blue Thunder HP8 is suposedly blended for big block engines, and it only has 8% oil.
I now see this on the shelves at my local RC store. I used to run the old-school blue thunder, I swear it had 25% oil. It was way easy to start on, it is a beginner's fuel, but that oil content caused alot of oild residue to build up. I swear blue thunder is like the Penzoil for nitro engines: Lots of gunk left in the engine, this is why I quit using it.

I am not sure of this new blend though, and I wont try it for now. Paying $35 for a gallon of it is a major turn off. (Actually, seeing ANY brand of fuel costing $30 USD is a major bummer)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:24 AM
dakamat

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I just bought a gallon of Trinity 20% w/ 12% oil content. Ill see how i like it. [8D]
I run this fuel (but 25%) and i love it.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to inform some of you guys, I've been a regular hater of the original Traxxas Top Fuel. Recently, Traxxas has come out with a power plus blend of this fuel. When I bought it, I thought it was crap cause my truck would barely run; after leaning the LSN out over 2 turns, my STS .30 runs like a champ on this. I have no clue on the oil content, but I was told by the LHS moron that it has 11%. Good experience with the new Traxxas blend so far!

Blue Thunder on the other hand is hated by most LHSs in my area. I don't know why but its always had a bad rep here, some people have been saying that it has not enough oil, others that it leaves blue muck around the engine internals... Generally never an accepted fuel here so I never tried it.

Tom.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM
cummins driver

What are you guys paying for fuel? I havent bought any in 3 years, but i bought the trinity for $29 tax and all and didnt think it was too bad.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, I was accustomed to pay $20 for any 20% fuel blend. Now, the Traxxas I bought was $27 for 20%, and 30% O'Donnell's skyrocketed to $38 a gallon.

Tom.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 PM
cummins driver

Last time i did buy it, it was around $20 for 15% hobbytown brand i believe. Considering this is probably much better fuel, and everything is higher now, I didnt figure $10 extra was too bad.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:04 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I get my fuel cheap but look at my signature.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 AM
cummins driver

Thats the way to do it
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

i have always liked blue thunder but there old old old formula was great, then they upgraded and added to much oil and i went and tried monster hp, love the stuff, when blue thunder tried another formula, the sport, is a new comer fuel, i like there race formula, can't get enough of it, well i do but still .

i have tried bryons, and white lighting, i miss white lighting.

bryons is good but my motors don't like it to much.

one fuel to stay away from is macy's.

Traxxas top fuel is liquid poo, there new fuel, is good. I would not run it myself but if that's all they had i would.

i run 20% in everything.

i have also tried, sidewinder, wildcat, power racing.

wildcat is another to stay away from, sidewinder is good but not recommended by me.

Right now just about all the hobby shops by me, carry a local fuel called technology fuels, its made by a privet company. They make the same fuel used by john force, and the force team.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

i have always liked blue thunder but there old old old formula was great, then they upgraded and added to much oil and i went and tried monster hp, love the stuff, when blue thunder tried another formula, the sport, is a new comer fuel, i like there race formula, can't get enough of it, well i do but still .

i have tried bryons, and white lighting, i miss white lighting.

bryons is good but my motors don't like it to much.

one fuel to stay away from is macy's.

Traxxas top fuel is liquid poo, there new fuel, is good. I would not run it myself but if that's all they had i would.

i run 20% in everything.

i have also tried, sidewinder, wildcat, power racing.

wildcat is another to stay away from, sidewinder is good but not recommended by me.

Right now just about all the hobby shops by me, carry a local fuel called technology fuels, its made by a privet company. They make the same fuel used by john force, and the force team.
I just ran a quart of Blue Thunder HP8 through my savage today. Didnt have any problems it ran great. No oil residue ethire. I was running it in snow so that might have helped but with only 8% oil I didnt expect much any way.

Whats wrong with wild cat? Wich wild cat were you running? I got 2 quarts of Wild Cat Elimintator Pro that I am going to try. It is 20% Nitro and 10% oil. I figured it would be pretty good because they use Klotz oil in their mix. I have a banshee and have been running Klotz Supertechinplate for a long time. It is a good oil.

josh
Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

it was Eliminator 20%, stuff just made my cars run like crap.

also lower oil your gonna see no difference in performance, well a little, but if you go from say 15-30 then you will.