Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Is My New 6 Volt Hump Pack Defective ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
smeyers2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My New 6 Volt Hump Pack Defective ?

Hi All...

Just got a new 6 volt NI-MH 1100mah hump pack for my Savage. Along with it I got the HPI LED Battery Indicator. I charged up the Hump Pack the night before I was to go out, and installed the LED Indicator. After the charge all the LED's except the 1st green lit up. The next morning the battery worked, but the only LED's lit up were the last 2 reds, and 2 oranges. I still took it to work and began to break in the engine. I charged the battery after I got home again yesterday, for about 8 hours on the wall charger. After the charge, all the LED's lit and this morning all the LED's were still lit. I have not touched the truck, and now at about 4pm I just turned the Savage on and we're back to the last 2 reds and 2 orange lit, no greens. And yes, just in case you ask, I have been turning the truck off !

I'm afraid of overcharging... so I charged it for about 8 hours each time. Am I not charging it enough ? Or does the battery need to by "cycled" a few times? Or do I have a defective battery ???

Thanks, I Hope You All Have An Awesome Sunday Evening !
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Is My New 6 Volt Hump Pack Defective ?

sounds like you have a short in the switch if its draining that fast, 1100mah is not a very long lasting pack but should last more then that.

those wall chargers are junk, if you have any spare change, try to pick up a good peak charger. Nothing fancy just a standard charger that has peak protection.

if you can't afford a good charger, then after charging unplug the battery and when you go to use the truck plug it in then, just to avoid any power drain.

EDIT: something you could try, depending on the switch with you savage take a dead servo or battery and cut the wires, plug it into the switch, the end that would go to the receiver and hook a volt meter to the cut wires and plug the pack in and turn the switch off, if it reads power then you know its the switch.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

You can't really overcharge those batteries with a trickle wall charger. The current is usually so low that the battery can actually dissipate the additional charge as heat. Otherwise, they would be quite unsafe.

This is a tough problem to troubleshoot without a digital charger that tells you what kind of charge the battery takes. This morning when the lights were all green, was the truck just sitting there or were you testing the steering/throttle servos? Same this afternoon. When you noted 2 reds and 2 oranges, was the truck sitting there or were you testing the steering/throttle servos?

The battery's voltage can change depending on the load on it. If you saw 2 greens this morning without putting a load on the battery and then turned on the truck later and put a load on the battery (e.g. tested servos), the voltage would drop. Basically, my guess would be that the battery may not have fully charged, so when you put a load on it, the voltage dropped and you saw the orange LEDs.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
smeyers2

I have been turning the truck on.. no steering or throttle input. However, I do notice the LED's do change when activating the servo(s). I do have a more expensive charger which I use to charge my electric cars. I'll give it a charge with that. It's just easier to plug it into the wall charger. I'll be back !!

Thanks All!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:49 PM
smeyers2

Hi All... OK.. I charged the battery. It only took 20 minutes for the charger to signal it was finshed peak charging. I forgot to look to see how much the battery took in. [&o]

While it was charging I was swapping batterys, checking voltage with the switch off (No Draw), and generally checked everything I could. I did find something that may have been causing the problem. I have the switch with the charger lead, and I had the charger lead swapped with the off-on hot lead. Now to me, I don't think that would be the cause. Not being an electrician, I'm thinking, with the leads reversed, the switch would have to be in the off postion to turn the receiver on. But, hey, that's me.

Anyhow, got the battery fully charged, according to the Hyperion charger. We'll see what everything looks like tomorrow in the am.

Thanks again... You all have an awesome evening !
Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Dale Gribble

I bet you will be in good shape tomorrow! FYI, make sure not to set the charger over 1C (e.g. 1.1A) for charging. 20 minutes isn't much time, so maybe the battery was already near peak anyways.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
rclugnut10

1C really only aplies to LIPO cells most cells can take a hefty 2-3C charge, tho some high end NIHM's shouldn't be charged uber fast but usually more than 1C, and depending on the rate your wall charger charges you could probally go for 10 hours maybe more...

the lug
Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM
smeyers2

I'm sorry to say I'm back to Square One. I was swapping the 2 speed out for a 3 speed and had almost completed the swap. Just for kicks I clicked the switch ON.... All the LED's lit up... and one by one they went out. In about 5 seconds we were down to the 2 red and 2 orange LED's. Savage number 2, which I topped off at the same time has all the LED's except the first green. It was aprox 4pm when I finished charging...it is now 10pm my time.. so in 6 hours the battery is mostly drained. I don't know the MAH of the older pack... it looks like a no name pack. Nothing written on the outside... only thing I can see on the cells is 1.2 volts.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 PM
rclugnut10

it sounds like that pack is just dead or getting a false peak meaning its not a very good pack either way, what i would do in your shoes at this point is just spend $20 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMEY1&P=ML and be a very happy camper

the lug
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Dale Gribble

Looks like the battery is charging but not holding a load. Did you swap the LED voltage monitors to make sure the monitor isn't faulty?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 PM
smeyers2

Thanks for the advice.. I always "err" to be on the safe side with any type of battery. This battery is 1100 mah.. I knew it may have had some kind of charge so I charged it at 800..less than 1c. BTW I have seen a NiMh pack blow up. It was at the racetrack. I have no idea what amps he was charging it at, though.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM
smeyers2

Good idea Dale... When I am finished installing the 3 speed, I'll swap out the batterys, top em both off and see what we have in the morning.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
smeyers2

The battery finished charging in about 10 minutes and took a total of 134 mah. I'll be back in the morning !
Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 AM
smeyers2

Good Morning All !!!

Well, positively it is a defective battery. I charged up both batterys and swapped them into different trucks. The old battery in the new truck is still fully charged, while the new battery is showing 2 reds and 2 oranges. I already ordered the Marathon battery. Thanks to all for your help. Have A Great Day !!! Steve
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Dale Gribble

Can you return the pack where you bought it since it is clearly defective?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
smeyers2

Yes Dale... the battery is less than a week old. I called the LHS today and ran the issues with the battery by him. He said . No Problem, it's going back tomorrow night. I don't even know why I bought it from him. Like DUH ! I could of gotten a bigger capacity and better brand for less on the net!!!! DD > stands for DOUBLE DUH !!! Anyhow, I think I'll just return it for a store credit, as I have a better battery coming from Tower. As always, this board rocks... Thanks for your help ! Steve