Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
pkennedy08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL purchase?

Let me start by saying I am new to the forum. I have been dabling over the years in RC trucks using my old Electric Traxxas Rustler. Now being at a point where I can afford to do it I am seriously considering buying a nitro truck. From talking to some people and seeing a couple in action I really like the Savage XL. The problem is I have never even started a nitro vehicle. I really know nothing about them except that they freekin rock! So given my position here should I take this step yet and what should I know before buying? Is there a particular model of the Savage that I should start with?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Savage XL purchase?

the XL is a great truck tho it does have some issues, with its carb and poor engine design, i'd go with the X 4.6 RTR or the kit, its really not that hard to build if you look at the pretty pics and have some understanding of RC's, however its plauged by some of the issues the XL motor is, so i'd got X 4.6 RTR great truck for a beginner and its faster than the XL,

the lug
Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

If you've got local people that can help you in person, then you should be set, but if not, then this forum will definitely help you out.

The XL is great, but one thing to consider changing right off the bat is the motor and exhaust. Considering your position, I would recommend getting a LRP28 with a Ofna 053 pipe.

Things you will need: 20% Odonnells race fuel or 20% Byrons Gen2 fuel, spare glow plugs, spare fuel tubing, rechargeable glow igniter, at least 2 1800 rechargeable stick 7.2volt stick batteries for the roto-start (or just convert to pull start), and some time with patience
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah and sell the stock motor and pipe combo and i think the XL motor will have the right rotor plate for LRP, i think....
i'd also pick up this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMEY1&P=ML i say that one for the $ its the best you'll get good cells great capasity for a steal, anypack that comes close runs for $30 you'll need a zapper for that and the roto packs, also some after run oil.... and i personally like trinity monster HP 20% fuel...

the lug
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 PM
pkennedy08

Thanks for the help guys. I have a local hobbytown usa that would probably help me get this thing going (if there not in one of there crappy moods that they tend to get in). Definately not my favorite hobby shop but not alot of other options in my area. Anyhow, i am looking forward to my new truck. I will stay in touch with this forum. It seems to be a great place for help. Thanks again!!!!