Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Tools

Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
pureham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Tools

Hi can anyone ell me what size hex drivers i will need to work on my Savage?I'm lokking to buy a tool kit but i dont want to buy a bunch of drivers i dont need,and also if anyone can recomend a kit or place to purchase.THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Savage Tools

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBN24&P=7]This[/link] is an amazing kit! Those are the only hexes that you will need. The pricing is a bit steep, but the quality is GREAT! These do not strip any of the screws and they do not get worn easily if taken care of properly, as in cleaning the tips of any dirt. There is a kit that does not come with the driver and is only $1.00 cheaper, so I figure spend the extra $1.00 and get the driver.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:19 PM
spiftacu1ar

Or for 1/4th the price, you can get bondhus allen keys: http://www.filmtools.com/ballwrenseto.html
These are very high quality allens, but are very cheap. The full set can be had for $20: http://www.filmtools.com/ballwrenseto1.html
The ball ends are VERY useful. FOr the savage, you only need the smaller set, and that will do everything.
I have been using these for years, and not one has worn down, and I have never stripped any screws.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

I HATE the ball end tips! [>:]

I'm sure that there was some improper usage when I had them, but if you do not push down hard enough, you will definitely start to strip the heads. With the straight edges, I know when it is firmly in place and there is more material inside the head unlike the ball end which would have less due to the "ball" tip.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Sugafree

Wow you Guys are Tight and use some Crap Tools

http://edsracingproducts.com/
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

I've seen those, and those are a complete waste of money IMO. I honestly do not see the need for those unless you are sponsored and have money to waste [>:]
Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
BudBud

After trying several sets of wrenches from various name brand suppliers, it became obvious to me that there is a huge difference between tools and hobby quality tools. It did not take me long to tire of cutting slots in hex head screw to get them out with a straight screwdriver. That and drilling the heads off and extracting them with a small pair of visegrips after tearing the truck apart or buying replacement parts to replace the screw laden parts. I do not have a set nearly as nice as Sugafree linked too. But I should have! I have some Integy, Dynamite, Duratrax and some Hudy tools. Glen
Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM
TAKZILLA

Snap-On YES YOU MIGHT PAY A LITTLE MORE BUT IF YOU CAN BREAK ONE or EVER WEAR IT OUT YOU GET FREE REPLACEMENT!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

I've seen those, and those are a complete waste of money IMO. I honestly do not see the need for those unless you are sponsored and have money to waste [>:]
Your Crazy!

Good Tools are a MUST for RC's....And You Don't Need to Buy the Full Set, They Sell them by the Driver......And they also Have the Power Tool Tips/Special Tool Sets & Special Purpose Tools...All at Close to Half the Price of Hudys & they are The Same HIGH-QUALITY.....

You get what ya pay for.....Buy Cheap Sets twice....or spend a few bucks and Buy a Good Set Once
Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

+1 on good tools. Don't know where We would be without them!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i just bought me a set of Bohunus metric drivers from tower, cost me $17 good tools, never busted or stripped anything with them, they are ball heads, and i love that they are, however, i still use my allen L keys that i got stock, 1 because for head bolt screws and motor mount screws i want them tight, so i put them in a 2 in C clap (2 in cuz it was handy) and i can get a good grip and really wrench on it, like that, as for issues with ball heads on my B4, i got a set of SAE ball L from hobbie co, for like 7 bucks, not wanting to spend another 16 or so on SAE tools, well i had gotten this B4 used so one of the screws was on really tight, and it accually snaped the ball right off, and the other end of said driver is getting stripped out and its flat, tho i say bad quatlity tools, but i've had no issues with my Bohundus tools or my Dubro 4-40 driver that i got for my evader, cuz for some reason thats the only SAE nut on there the rest are either philps (really small ones) or metric...

the lug
Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

$26 for 4 hexes is "cheap?" That's more expensive than just the the tip of the EDS hexes.

I know that quality tools are a must but let's not get too carried away; there are tools with quality and then there are tools with quality and unneeded bling that bumps up the price
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 PM
pureham

Thanks for all the advice guys but what sizes are most commonly used on Savage's.I see most sets of 3 or 4 drivers include 1.5mm-3mm.Would that be enough or would i still need to buy some different sizes?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

$26 for 4 hexes is "cheap?" That's more expensive than just the the tip of the EDS hexes.

I know that quality tools are a must but let's not get too carried away; there are tools with quality and then there are tools with quality and unneeded bling that bumps up the price
if you think $26 for 4 hex drivers is expensive, you should see what We paid for Our screwdriver set...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: pureham

Thanks for all the advice guys but what sizes are most commonly used on Savage's.I see most sets of 3 or 4 drivers include 1.5mm-3mm.Would that be enough or would i still need to buy some different sizes?
Reading > you [>:]

Re-read post #2

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

if you think $26 for 4 hex drivers is expensive, you should see what We paid for Our screwdriver set...
[sm=tired.gif] I'll stick to my above average tools and spend more money on my actual truck [>:]
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Sugafree

Take it Your Not real Good at math Did you Even Look on ED's Site? The Replacement Tips are $3.95 for Normal Tips & $4.95 for Ball ends.....
http://edsracingproducts.com/categor...ment-Parts.htm

Sure Talking a lotta Crap for Someones that Obviously wouldn't know a Good Tool from Bling if it was right in front of your Face.......
Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the same Craftsman tools I use to work on my 1:1 cars and trucks on my RC stuff. I personally don't see the need to have to buy "extras" specifically for RC use.[8D]
Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

Take it Your Not real Good at math Did you Even Look on ED's Site? The Replacement Tips are $3.95 for Normal Tips & $4.95 for Ball ends.....
http://edsracingproducts.com/categor...ment-Parts.htm

Sure Talking a lotta Crap for Someones that Obviously wouldn't know a Good Tool from Bling if it was right in front of your Face.......
Don't see how I was talking "crap," unlike you. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I was stating that the $26 I paid for the Ofna hexes was more expensive than the replacement tips from EDSRP; point I was making is that the Ofna doesn't seem too "cheap" on price and definitely isn't cheap on quality.

Take it you're not too good with understanding the context, and I know quality tools, I just do not find the need for them in a hobby that average to above average tools will do just well. This is not like 1:1 scale cars that require constant use from tools, for some yes, while for most no. That is why there are different brands of tools with different "quality" and pricing.

Some people swear by Snap On, some swear by Matco, some swear by Craftsman. You swear by your pretty little EDSRP products, and I just go with the tools that work for my liking.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
spiftacu1ar

TO answer purehams actual question, the most common sizes are 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm. The 2mm is only used for the set screws. ALso, the bhondus tools have non-ball ends on the other side. One side is ball (use it once you've got the screw is not tight yet). the other side is normal, use it for high loads. They work fine. You could spend a few hundred dollars and get freee replacements. Or, you could get these and buy new ones IF they break, which they won't if you use them properly.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
pureham

Thanks Spiftacu1ar! thats what i wanted to know before i purchased any hex drivers
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

ORIGINAL: pureham

Thanks Spiftacu1ar! thats what i wanted to know before i purchased any hex drivers
I stated what sizes were needed in the 2nd post...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
pureham

I'm sorry prjctstrtfrce that post was not intended for you.I hope your fellings werent hurt,you've been a great help!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

har har har