Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

AXIAl .28 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
bro/dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXIAl .28 Tuning

I recently aquired my friends savage -x with a fresh broken in .28 Axial. I'm having a hell of a time tuning it.

1. It idles way to high -idle screw does't seem to help
2. It cuts out in the mid range when full throttle is applied
3. It has poor top end, and seems to cut out at high end rpms as well

Any help here would be great, I have no expierence with these engines
Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: AXIAl .28 Tuning

Your #1 reason indicates an AIR LEAK. Seal the motor up, reset to factory settings, and start over

#2 and #3 indicate too lean on the HSN which can also be causing your idle to be high.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 PM
BudBud

[link=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As]Not so sure about going all the way back to flush.[/link] Watch the video and see if you can tell what your engine is doing. I agree with the air leak, on these engines, it is normally the backing plate or the base of the carburetor. I have also experienced a lot of needle oring problems. Glen
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

True, the HSN slipped my mind.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
mazdab2600

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone remember my axial.28-bad bearings.
thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7584816

Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 PM
nitrojimbo

I'll put money on that your front bearing is bad. I'm having the same problem with my Axial .28 in my LST. I'm getting a bearing from TKO bearings.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reseal the carb/backplate and retune it, and it should be ok. If the front bearing isn't weeping excessive fuel, it is likely ok.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
2vracing

Hi, I have run axials a while and then bought (2) .28rr and had terrible problems with them. First thing to do is pull the engine out of the vehicle and tear it completely apart. Even if it were new I would do this. I found the oring on the end of the carb. on both my engines was torn were seats down in the case past the clamp bolt, and the carbs must be pushed in very tight before clamping the carb bolt. The front bearings in these engines fail FAST, on my first engine I noticed that the bearing was bad and found that they are sealed on both sides, this does not allow the bearing to get lube from the fuel and there is a oil transfer hole in the case to the front bearing just for this. (no bearing sealed on both sides can handle that abuse). You must take every needle out of the carb. and use carb. clean or brake clean then blow out the parts, lube all needles with after run oil etc. When I had the engine / carb. all together I returned the needles back to the fact. settings. Cranked up nice but still ran hot and idled high, I did pinch test and found the factory LSN was lean by almost 1.5 turns. 2nd. pinch test perfect and set idle, and temp. came right down. I ran the car and had to lean out the HSN, the car (RC8) runs perfect with more power than it needs, had to use 8mm vent to help with track and save fuel. Another tip dont waste your time calling axle their customer service sucks and they will not help, just tell you to run at what ever temp. it stays running at 300 or so. And the tech. person could not tell me why the bearing was double sealed and it having a oiler hole for lube . Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the Axial .28 RR had chronic bearing issues that are well known. The Spec 1s had far less bearing failures. Enough that I wouldn't even consider it a problem.