Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

First attempt at nitro, starting with a picco .28 - Thoughts so far

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

First attempt at nitro, starting with a picco .28 - Thoughts so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:13 AM
krnbk2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at nitro, starting with a picco .28 - Thoughts so far

This is my first attempt in the nitro RC world as I have always been an electric kinda guy. I have been out of the scene for almost 10 years and boy a lot has changed. About a month ago my interest was peaked after seeing the Savaga Flux video. After doing the research I decided on trying out Nitro and picked up a Savage XL. After reading of the poor performance associated with the 5.9 motor I decided to upgrade to the Picco .28 while the 5.9 was new so that I could sell it.

Fast forward 2 weeks and here I am with my new picco motor installed and sealed (back plate and carb neck). Charged up my batteries and glow starter and gave it a go. I installed an mc590 plug for breaking in and tried the first tank on odonells race. after heating the engine up for 10 minutes with a hair dryer and priming the motor, 3 pulls with the pullstart and she came alive. Man that was a lot easier than I anticipated. I was a bit nervous that I wasn't going to get her started and that my lack of nitro experience wouldn't help. I left everything set at factory specs and with a little help of tinfoil I was able to almost get the motor to 200 degrees. I shut her down and was able to get her started 2 more times after even when the motor was dead cold. so far, as a nub to nitro this isnt half bad.

One question/issue I do have is that the idle screw backed itself out while I was doing low speed figure 8's. I assume vibration would cause that to happen but how can I prevent it while still being able to adjust the screw?

I will update as I continue to break the motor in but as for any new guys that are scared to start with a picco from scratch I say go for it!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: First attempt at nitro, starting with a picco .28 - Thoughts so far

You may be a n00b to the physical elements of nitro, but you sure did your reading and made the beginning very easy for yourself! [sm=thumbup.gif]

For the idle screw, try using some white thread lock tape.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 AM
3-172IN MTN

See, I knew that someone with mechanical prowess would be able to make this motor work with no issues. So far my issues have not been the motor but the trucks themselves. since I purchased my P3 I have not been able to run it through a tank without something going wrong.

Today it was a fouled plug and then a plug that came from the factory broken. And before that when I assembled my XL I forgot the little E-clips that hold the retainer for the c-hubs on and that caused an issue. Then with the oh so powerful servos I have been using stripped the servo horn.

I was away from home and got the e-clips from the lhs there (thank god for the internet) but they are not a Ofna friendly business and do not carry the plugs.

but otherwise, so far so good on being a super powerful motor. This thing rips. The tires will not even grab traction and it handles like a drift car, let alone inadvertant donuts caused by to much throttle.

Supertib does wonders on these motors. It has to be the best motor money can buy and congratulations on your choice.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: krnbk2

This is my first attempt in the nitro RC world as I have always been an electric kinda guy. I have been out of the scene for almost 10 years and boy a lot has changed. About a month ago my interest was peaked after seeing the Savaga Flux video. After doing the research I decided on trying out Nitro and picked up a Savage XL. After reading of the poor performance associated with the 5.9 motor I decided to upgrade to the Picco .28 while the 5.9 was new so that I could sell it.

Fast forward 2 weeks and here I am with my new picco motor installed and sealed (back plate and carb neck). Charged up my batteries and glow starter and gave it a go. I installed an mc590 plug for breaking in and tried the first tank on odonells race. after heating the engine up for 10 minutes with a hair dryer and priming the motor, 3 pulls with the pullstart and she came alive. Man that was a lot easier than I anticipated. I was a bit nervous that I wasn't going to get her started and that my lack of nitro experience wouldn't help. I left everything set at factory specs and with a little help of tinfoil I was able to almost get the motor to 200 degrees. I shut her down and was able to get her started 2 more times after even when the motor was dead cold. so far, as a nub to nitro this isnt half bad.

One question/issue I do have is that the idle screw backed itself out while I was doing low speed figure 8's. I assume vibration would cause that to happen but how can I prevent it while still being able to adjust the screw?

I will update as I continue to break the motor in but as for any new guys that are scared to start with a picco from scratch I say go for it!

very smart move dumping the 5.9....The Picco is a much better engine ....good luck..
Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

I'll pay you shipping for the 5.9!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
krnbk2

ORIGINAL: brett65

I'll pay you shipping for the 5.9!