Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Plastic Vs. Metal Spur

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Vs. Metal Spur

Okay, this is purely, an informational thread, i do NOT want any arguments or disagreements or comments even on other peoples posts. Not trying trying to be O.C.D. or tell you how to post, i simply want a thread to give people information on the Pro's and Con's of Plastic and Metal spur gears. So please Simply post the Pro's and the Con's in your opinion of each.

Plastic Pro's
1. Cheap
2. Lightweight

Cons.
1. Can Melt

Metal
Pro's
1. Durable
2. Won't Wear or Melt

Con's
1. Expensive
2. Heavy

the lug

Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: Plastic Vs. Metal Spur

If you purchase a vented Clutch bell, plastic spurs are less likely to melt.The combination of removing material from the clutch bell to vent it and using a lightweight plastic spur gives less rotating mass, increasing performance.

Just thought I'd add that little bit .

Andrew
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
twomanytoys

In reality I dont think any one of us can notice and power loss or gain from going to a metal or to a plastic spur. I dont think I can say I have ever had to replace a plastic spure on any of my trucks. If they are meshed right, slipper set right and they dont overheat you should be good for a long time.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steel is nice because you can beat on it without worry. Steel is much more resistant to rocks and hard dirt chunks too. I always run steel when given the choice between it and plastic.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

FYI, steel spur will eatup stock clutchbells. I had to go to a RRP clutchbell after a steel spur.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:49 PM
MadManAndrew

Guys, he asked for no arguing, and here we are arguing...But yes, Dale is right, if you get a steel spur it will eat your clutch bells like cottage cheese...However, if you get a vented clutch bell, which is much harder, the spurs will no longer tear apart your clutch bells, but if you get a vented clutch bell, there's no point in getting a steel spur because the plastic ones will no longer melt...In the end, you're going to have to get a vented clutch bell no matter what, so get a vented clutch bell, and a $4 plastic spur, and all our problems will be solved.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
black mamba

Haven't run into that problem. I only use HPI stuff....solid spurs with vented CBs offer a troublefree setup.[8D]
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, a good hardenened CB is a must with steel spurs.

I personally run steel spurs, but as everyone else says, something else foen in the drivertrain will break instead. In my daily basher Savage, the next thing to go was the diff teeth of the outer bevels and its pinion. I promptly chuched those and bought and adapted Cenchan Nemesis/Genesis/GST diffs; those have beefier teeth, and they look machined, not cast like the HPI outer bevels.

Inside the tranny, no promary gears have failed on me yet, but I have trashed way too many reverse modules. The HPI reverse modules are made for the older .21BB engines, not the power of an aftermarket, or a K5.9. (I would suggest you guys wait for HPI to redesign the reverse module with non-cast gears before your get one).
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Dale Gribble

Ya, my CB was not vented. I am sure that makes a huge difference. I run plastic with one Savage and Steel with another. If changing the spur out wasn't such a pain, I wouldn't mind changing them as much. Plastic or Steel doesn't matter much to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

Guys, he asked for no arguing, and here we are arguing...But yes, Dale is right, if you get a steel spur it will eat your clutch bells like cottage cheese...However, if you get a vented clutch bell, which is much harder, the spurs will no longer tear apart your clutch bells, but if you get a vented clutch bell, there's no point in getting a steel spur because the plastic ones will no longer melt...In the end, you're going to have to get a vented clutch bell no matter what, so get a vented clutch bell, and a $4 plastic spur, and all our problems will be solved.
Who is arguing?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I dont think anyone is arguring. For me, I will run a plastic spur for stock engines up to a K4.6. But for the K5.9 or any of the e rest of the more powerful aftermarket engines, I prefer steel spurs, but of course, w/o reverse module, and with some upgrades in the drive train.

Each does have its advangates, and also downsides, its just knowing which sacrficies to make and to know how to best use those advantages.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Ya, my CB was not vented. I am sure that makes a huge difference. I run plastic with one Savage and Steel with another. If changing the spur out wasn't such a pain, I wouldn't mind changing them as much. Plastic or Steel doesn't matter much to me.
[sm=confused.gif] How is changing the SG a pain? Remove the roll-bar, take 7 screws out from the top half of the transmission and it's out. ..
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

[sm=confused.gif] How is changing the SG a pain? Remove the roll-bar, take 7 screws out from the top half of the transmission and it's out. ..
I usually just take the engune out...That way I can examnine my clutch bell and get the spur out...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
pythonfan

picco vs plastic spur

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=M4V00441.flv
Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL, yeah, that is what happens everytime when you put a powerful aftermarket engine in, the plastic does not stand a chance, no matter how good of a mesh
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 AM
BANKRUPTER

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

LOL, yeah, that is what happens everytime when you put a powerful aftermarket engine in, the plastic does not stand a chance, no matter how good of a mesh
LMAO +1 with this
Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In tried the Robinson Spur/CB set and it wore out. Why? Because one of the machine screws that holds the engine mount plate down broke. Every time the engine torqued, the plate flexed and the gear mesh decreased to nothing.

This plate screw thing is fairly common.

Anyway, I fixed the plate with a stronger screw, switched back to plastic, and no more trouble. Am using a 30 VG and no problems with the plastic.

Previous to all this, I have stripped spur gears for two reasons:

1/ Improper mesh

2/ pebbles getting into the gear teeth

I have had a spur melt, but not at the teeth (i.e. not from the clutch bell). It was from the center out and it was because I had the slipper too loose.

Performance?

The power lost in rotating a metal spur gear is approximately the same as the power it takes to rotate all 4 tires. With a plastic spur gear, only about 10% of the power used to rotate the tires is required. (This is because the spur has to rotate much faster than the tires due to the gear reduction of the transmission).

Keeping this in perspective, we are only talking about the power lost in the rotating parts. For example, if we lose 0.5 HP rotating all those drivetrain parts (tires, wheels, spur, etc.), we still get 2 hp to the ground with a 2.5 hp engine. The % of the lost 0.5Hp due to the metal spur isn't all that high.

However, it should be noticeable to the discriminating driver, however me being "not-so-good"....well, .........er........I have to admit....I couldn't really notice it.......maybe a tiny bit "quicker" with the plastic, but it was hard for me to tell.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 AM
BudBud

I just ruined a vented 16 bell and a steel 52T spur, it was my fault. I lost a couple of engine mount screws and the engine rocked on the plate. It did not take long! Most of the plastic spurs I lost were due to broken engine plates. My STS fried a couple, from slipping clutches, I think. I fried a couple when the nearings in the clutch bell went bad. I got next to a fence when a throttle rod broke and melted one from both ends....the center out from the slipper and the teeth in from the super hot clutch shoes. I do not recall having one just torn up from a large engine... never had a problem with the plastics, but these metal Hpi spurs sure are nice! The Robinson spurs were always chipping the teeth off... a couple of gallons and they were so rough, they would ruin the bell. I still run both, I think I prefer the Hpi steel 47 or 52 though.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

Keep in mind the older, non X Savages do not have the split top trans case. So changing the spur on one of them requires pulling the engine. I have replaced my old trans case with a XSS case to make spur changes a snap.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:03 PM
-SomeGuy-

Well, not that I want to argue with anobody but I run only picco engines (.26.27.28) with stock non vented bells and plastic spurs (18/47) and have no problems. Some of you have seen what my trucks look like after a day of bashing and know I dont go easy on them. I do however run alloy shoes and that has made all the difference I've ever needed when it comes to melting/shredding gears.

On another note, I did try out the delrin spur gears and they did not hold up at all. Not even 2 tanks and the teeth were vaporised to a fine white dust, 2 gears in a row.

The steel RR gear I got way back when my meshing wasnt top notch started chipping its teeth so they are not a remedy to bad meshing IMO. Get the mesh right, use alloy shoes, set the spur right (in my case as tight as possible) and any problem you encounter after that is strictly user error, or maybe the engine shifted from a hard knock.

This is just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
rclugnut10

good info here, i'll definetly be saving a link to this, this is exactally what i was looking for no fights just good info for all

the lug
Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I think it is worth digging up. there is a lot of good info here. I have been running ST's for a long time and have just recently gotten a savage. I have been considering going with an RRP steel SG if and when the stock plastic one I have melts. but has anyone had any trouble differentials after switching to a steel SG? I have always looked at the SG as a good weak link in the drivetrain since they are fairly cheap and easy to fix compared to say a differential.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM
SportsFans

Well You mata trucker!!! I always go with steel spur and a hardened vented CB. Not only the clutch bell remain cooler but also the clutch shoes which I believe add to a longer lasting clutch shoes, and the clutch springs seem to keep their memory longer. My 2 cents
Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM
jbooker82

I have a Titanium Spur gear. It throws bight white sparks like a sparkler when you hammer on it.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
rotzilla

titanium... who makes that? that would be stronger and have less rotating mass than steel.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.