Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

getting back in the game.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
-whitey-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting back in the game.

I finally have the funds to properly support this hobby, so after a year of or more of not having anything to do with RC I'm coming back. I also want to do some mods that I wasn't able to do before such as putting in a mid tank and possibly putting on lst shocks. So my question whats the best way to do all this because I can't really remember all the details and I want to do a nice job. Tonight I'll be charging the batteries and tomorrow I'll see if the damn thing even starts, the engine hasn't seized so that's a good sign. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: getting back in the game.

This was my setup... I used an FLM chassis, FLM throttle servo relocator, FLM mid tank plate, ofna tank and Losi 8IGHT radio and battery box. We all try to make them look as near stock as possible. This was my attempt. I love it.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
-whitey-

That's a really nice setup but where's the best place to buy parts for this and are there other options for the chassis? Also how much am I looking at spending , $200-300?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
-whitey-

Sorry for the double post. I managed to get it started and it ran like a dream. I'm even more excited now to get started on the mid tank mod.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:49 PM
spiftacu1ar

I had a setup similar to Dales, except I had 2 125cc tanks (250cc) up front. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBM24&P=7]THIS[/link] tank is very good because it is exactly the right size to fit the larger dimension between the TVP's. You can put 2 of these tanks, one in front of the other, where the battery box used to be. This is easiest done with FLM tvp's which offer a seperate servo mount which can sit below the tanks. I based this mod on azzmans mod:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_54...tm.htm#5419840

If you use this mod, I have 3 of the tanks needed (2 used, 1 new). I am doing a brushless conversion, so I no longer need them. I also have the ofna throttle mod along with a servo ready to be installed on an FLM tvp. Extra rods are included if you choose to use different tvp's and need longer rods. See my listing. I also have seveal other tanks used in other mid tank mods, which have never had fuel in them. I bought a bunch of tanks to see which I liked best for the mod. I personally like the dual tank setup the best.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
-whitey-

Where can you buy flm parts? my google skillz have failed me.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
krnbk2

ORIGINAL: -whitey-

Where can you buy flm parts? my google skillz have failed me.
http://www.fastlanemachine.com/PublicPortal/ [8D]
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
-whitey-

Oh! I feel like an idiot, FLM=Fast Lane Machine! So the lcg extended tvps and the servo plate and servo mounts are what I'm after right?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM
twomanytoys

You dont need all that stuff. The fuel tank mod is not needed. You can run the truck as is with very few cheap mods. The LCG is more for handling and looks. I have 1 truck with FLM chassis and one stock. Both have offset wheels so handling on both is great. The FLM extended chassis dont wheelie as easy, the stock one wheelies like crazy. Buy the truck and run it as is. Once you get some run time and experience you can upgrade as you go. Some of these mods are not needed so spend your money on other things.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
-whitey-

I've been driving the truck for more than 3 years, I just never had the money to really mod it. besides from what I'm looking it so far is less than $150.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 PM
twomanytoys

Oh ok I thought it was newer to you. FLM is the best chassis although alot of guys are just getting the XL chassis to save money. They are the same length at about half the price.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 PM
dakamat

Hey twomanytoys, i have an FLM extend TVP on my savage, and i want to know if the XL rear center drive shaft fits the extend FLM chassis?
Because i've broke the FLM rear center shaft and i know, this shaft have a live time warenty, but i don't want to wait at each time i'll break it to recieve a new one, so is somebody here could tell me which shaft i can use with my FLM extends chassis, this would be a great help for me

Thank you
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
-whitey-

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Oh ok I thought it was newer to you. FLM is the best chassis although alot of guys are just getting the XL chassis to save money. They are the same length at about half the price.
I'm looking at the hpi site and it says the xl chassis is $90 and the FLM ones are $60.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
BudBud

Normally you can buy XL plates for under 25 dollars on Ebay.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
-whitey-

Meh... I'll just get the FLM TVP's I'm not really digging the way the xl chassis looks.