Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

x4.6 or XL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 AM
sharkattack99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x4.6 or XL?

Been looking at the savage X 4.6 for a month or so, like the look of the truck then i saw the savage XL. Like this one even more (except the tires they look to me goofy lookin) but other then that i like this one as well which is the best one to get? i hear that the x 4.6 does wheeles like theres no tomorrow i don't really like that myself no steering control and were i live no control can mean sudden doom for an RC. but i heard the motor isn't really that good on the XL, so i can't decide which to get any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 AM
BudBud

Default RE: x4.6 or XL?

The 4.6 is faster, Hpi even advertises it that way. This is about as [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs]strong as I could[/link] get my 5.9 to run on the stock pipe. I had three of them and still have a modded one. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqAPcx2qtc]The engine in modded form[/link]. They are okay, it depends upon how you look at them. If you want to just run for a while and upgrade, they will run pretty hard for several gallons of fuel, many hours. Just keep a close watch on the bearings and the mid range screw on the carburetor.

If you look at the 5.9 as money in the bank, they were selling for 175 in new removed condition pretty regularly. That will get you really close to the new LRP 30 or a Picco and it will buy you a LRP 28. I think the truck is worth the extra money, three speed, metal spur, vented clutch bell, aluminum clutch shoes, hump battery, heavier drive axles, extended and wider stance, and supposedly improved pinion gear.

The XL sure drives and jumps nicer, handles rough terrain much nicer. The X s just plain tough and fun to run. Hard to go wrong either way, my vote would be for the XL. Glen
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

the 4.6 is the best nitro savage to date in my opinion. i prefer brushless though and i am going to be selling my savage x 4.6 to help pay for the new flux. i have a few upgrades on my savage and it is in like new condition. it has only seen dirt twice. i have burned about 3 gallons of fuel through it and the engine still has pinch (is still like new). send me a PM if you are interested. it WILL be cheaper than buying a new 4.6
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
twomanytoys

The tires might look goofy but they are great. I run them on sevaral trucks. Get the XL and sell motor. Donr even start it. Once its sold get an LRP or Picco. Then you will have one tough truck.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
krnbk2

I went the route BudBud suggested and picked up an XL and pulled the motor out the same day. I now have a picco in it and am in the process of breaking it in. So far I love it and am glad I got the XL. If you are willing to take the time and front the initial cost of swapping motors you will be much better off in the end. Everything that is upgraded on the XL is something you would probably want to eventually do to the X. The hump pack and the tranny alone are almost worth the different in price. For me it was a no brainer because I also got the $50 mail in rebate so it really would have been silly to go with the X.

Pete
Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM
pagani77

savage xl definetly
Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
sharkattack99

and if you don't know how to change the engine? cause i don't know enough to do that just yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
BudBud

If you are that new, run the 5.9 until you kill it. It would be a great engine to learn on. They are pretty durable and if you run into problems, a lot of here would be glad to help you. Swapping is basic mechanics, everything will fit, no tricky engine mounts or clutch issues. In this case though, I would just recommend learning on the 5.9 and then stepping up. It can make decent power, there are just stronger ones out there. Glen
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
sharkattack99

between the two which one is easier to tune, cause i have an exceed tectonic (JUNK by the way) and the .21 engine was and is still a pain in the butt to tune. i bought the exceed to learn on and i haven't even gone through a half gallon of fuel and its broke 4 times and has needed parts, now its the steering servo, i should have just got a savage like i was looking at before, but went with cheap and got it.

but over all it seems that the XL is well liked over the X are there good hop-up parts for the XL can you get parts for it other then just on there web page if anyone knows that is?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
BudBud

The F4.6 is by far easier to tune and faster, hands down. It is super easy to live with. You will like the X, very durable, fast... a nice upgrade down the road would be a set of XL differentials, axles and bones, XL width and strength!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
sharkattack99

ORIGINAL: BudBud

The F4.6 is by far easier to tune and faster, hands down. It is super easy to live with. You will like the X, very durable, fast... a nice upgrade down the road would be a set of XL differentials, axles and bones, XL width and strength!

so its not hard to interchange the parts between the two? if thats the case then i think i will go with the F4.6 cause its easier to tune thats a big give for me, its got to be better then my crappy exceed.

thanks for all the help BudBud, and when i get to the point of changing those parts im sure i will need help with that as well, lol
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
BudBud

Feel free to post or write me, it is easy to swap out the differentials, I will be glad to share some pointers. You can gain almost as much by buying offset wheels, I do not think they are quite as stable though. The X is definitely a nice machine.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
thzero

Yeah, the XL diffs, axles/bones, and TVPs are a pretty easy, and not that expensive, upgrade for the X4.6.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
sharkattack99

so i have decided to go with the x 4.6, now what do you recommend upgrading right away? oh and i don't have alot to spend either. any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
BudBud

I ran mine stock for quite a while, even though I had six XLs at the time. It was just a fun and tough truck to run. Enjoy! Glen
Old 02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

and if you don't know how to change the engine? cause i don't know enough to do that just yet.
It's not that hard, you just gotta remove 4 screws and a spring...

As for upgrades, get an 18 tooth clutch bell if you want to decrease some of that wheelie power,and a wheelie bar, because even with the 20tooth clutch bell I have on mine, wheelies stll creep up if you floor it.When you get tired of rollovers, get a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMJH4&P=ML]Suspension Conversion kit[/link], it costs about the same as converting to XL width, and comes with adjustable upper control arms, and increeases the turning radius.

Good luck, MMA
Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
sharkattack99

does the savage x 4.6 come with a bottom cover or skid plate to protect the brakes or other parts underneith? or is that something extra i have to buy?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

does the savage x 4.6 come with a bottom cover or skid plate to protect the brakes or other parts underneith? or is that something extra i have to buy?

no, but if you buy mine, i'll include my RPM center skid plate.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
kyle 9

alright i have a question about these two trucks:

1. okay i would have enough money to get the savage xl, but buying a new engine would be pushing it (but i would still probably do it) anyways ... since i am new to nitro(and this hobby) should i just practice on the 5.9 or just replace it right away. If i should replace it, What would be some engines to look at?

2. someone also said that the 5.9 isnt that bad its just the pipe is... so should i just replace the pipe? If i should replace it, What would be some good pipes to look at?

3. Or should i just get the savage x 4.6 and get the suspension conversion kit and the 3 speed transmission?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
BudBud

If I were fairly new, I would buy the Xl, run the 5.9, get an 086 pipe and learn on the 5.9. It is not as fast as the 4.6, but close. It is much stronger in the axle/dogbone/engine mouunt areas and comes with some nice upgrades, like the three speed, decent steering servo, steel spur gear and the hump battery. It is a much more stable platform to run, much easier to control off of jumps. The 086 pipe will serve you well on the 5.9 and when you get ready to go killer with a Picco 28, you will already have the right exhaust. I have put over six gallons on two of my 5.9s with only carburetor and bearing work, they just seem to go flat on the top end pull. A lot of that is more sound than actual performance, but they still do not pull through third like some of the engines will. I would be glad to help you with any questions or problems. Glen
Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
kyle 9

If I were fairly new, I would buy the Xl, run the 5.9, get an 086 pipe and learn on the 5.9. It is not as fast as the 4.6, but close. It is much stronger in the axle/dogbone/engine mouunt areas and comes with some nice upgrades, like the three speed, decent steering servo, steel spur gear and the hump battery. It is a much more stable platform to run, much easier to control off of jumps. The 086 pipe will serve you well on the 5.9 and when you get ready to go killer with a Picco 28, you will already have the right exhaust. I have put over six gallons on two of my 5.9s with only carburetor and bearing work, they just seem to go flat on the top end pull. A lot of that is more sound than actual performance, but they still do not pull through third like some of the engines will. I would be glad to help you with any questions or problems. Glen
alright thank you, and alot of people talk about putting the picco 28 into their savy, what are the positive things about this engine, like speed, torque, and how easy is it to tune and hold a tune. Also can someone give me a site like towerhobbies for the picco 28 engine just so i can see which one your talking about and the price.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
BudBud

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMCA4&P=ML]Picco 28[/link]

[link=http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=26340&cat=390&page=1]Picco 28[/link]

[link=http://store.savagess.com/product_info.php?products_id=1740]Picco 28[/link]

[link=http://www.nitrohouse.com/eng,_ofna_picco.htm]Picco 28[/link]

Picco part number is 51232
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
whipnet

Shark.. remember that these things look intimidating, but working on them is easier than it looks. Every mod you do you'll find it easier than you work it up to be in your head. You be pulling mills in and out in no time. It's a sickness.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
sharkattack99

yeah thats true, hope your right,
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 AM
helmut33

The 4.6 is faster, Hpi even advertises it that way. This is about as [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCLxpFJmTs]strong as I could[/link] get my 5.9 to run on the stock pipe. I had three of them and still have a modded one. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqAPcx2qtc]The engine in modded form[/link]. They are okay, it depends upon how you look at them. If you want to just run for a while and upgrade, they will run pretty hard for several gallons of fuel, many hours. Just keep a close watch on the bearings and the mid range screw on the carburetor.

If you look at the 5.9 as money in the bank, they were selling for 175 in new removed condition pretty regularly. That will get you really close to the new LRP 30 or a Picco and it will buy you a LRP 28. I think the truck is worth the extra money, three speed, metal spur, vented clutch bell, aluminum clutch shoes, hump battery, heavier drive axles, extended and wider stance, and supposedly improved pinion gear.

The XL sure drives and jumps nicer, handles rough terrain much nicer. The X s just plain tough and fun to run. Hard to go wrong either way, my vote would be for the XL. Glen
Bud bud do you have any idea when the lrp 30 is coming across the pond

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.