Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Modsledd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL Mods?

Just bought an XL, in the process of breaking it in.... What mods should i do to this thing.... Money isn't an issue.... I already upgraded radio to Spektrum DX3S, HPI Big Bore Shocks, Fioroni Slider Clutch, and changed out the steering servo to a 333 in/oz Hitec Servo, so whats next.... Maybe engine, arms? You tell me what you would do....
Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Foxtrap

Default RE: Savage XL Mods?

If Money isn't an issue and you are looking for some real performance upgrades...

Send me 1600 dollars via Pay Pal, and I will have your truck blessed by a little know RC Rabbi here in Newfoundland....his unorthodox techniques have been proven to get better MPG and and a generally faster rig. Although his work is not guaranteed...with a moneyback policy ....I have sent him thousands of dollars to make me the person I am today.regret free

Stephen.

Sorry....I don't know where this came from....one of those days....I can never really resist the "Money isn't an issue" comment.
Sounds like you are on the right track.....from what I've learned....just keep at it till that 5.9 eventually blows up and then upgrade the motor

If you are happy with the trucks performance...then there is no need to do anything.....if there is an area that is lacking...then thet area needs work/mods.....I take this advice from working on VW's....where power is always needed ...but the handling is nailed to a tree.

sounds like you have no problems steering....with that 333 oz servo!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
BudBud

I would put exhaust on it, best bang for the bucks and then run it like I stole it! We all treat them different and have different styles of driving, until you start breaking something, life is good, even better when you fix it. [8D] The local RC Rabbi works much cheaper here in Kansas..... Glen
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Modsledd

LOL.... I put that in there cuz I wanted to know what the best mods were.... I don't want to spend money foolishly but if there were a 400 dollar engine that you recommended I would probably go buy it... that's what I meant.... As far as a pipe which do you recommend?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
ezl_oo
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought me a Dynamite 086 for my Savage XL.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
MadManAndrew

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8229971/mpage_4/key_mod%2Cupgrade%2Cthread/tm.htm]Whoa!Look!There's a search function![/link]
Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
BudBud

If you are willing to work with it, a Picco pull start 28 is the biggest bang for the bucks. I really want to try one of the new Nosrram, SH, or LRP 30s... which for somebody new to nitro, is probably the best buy. The Piccos can be tough to get broken in, although the later ones do not seem to have the issues.

On the pipe, I like the 086 and if you put it on your XL, when that 5.9 goes south or you want more power, you already have the best of the Picco exhaust. Running, I cannot tell any difference between the Dynamite and Ofna 086 pipes. Dynamite makes a hard coated pipe that is easy to clean, but lacks the flashy looks of Ofna's polished 086. Glen
Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Mr snuggles

a must for the xl is aluminum c-hub and uprights as the xl plastic ones are not strong enough

then get hellfire front upper arms ( it must be the front as the rear ones have longer turnbuckle )

the hellfire arms are a direct replacement for the thin and weak tierods that are standard on the xl

here is a picture that shows how much beefier the new tierods are

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Modsledd

I hear ya, I broke an upright already..... What do you think of the new RT .28 RB Concepts Engine?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

How the hell do you guys break the c-hubs? I've had my truck run into a dumpster at about 3/4 speed and nothing happened to it, as well as many cartwheels on solid ground with no damage. IF/when something were to break, then I would rather buy the cheap priced plastic stuff instead of the expensive aluminum stuff. .02

Get yourself a modded Picco along with some different gearing and you should be well on your way. Put some real oil in your differentials and shocks as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Mr snuggles

this is the second truck these aluminums are in and they have seen allot of bashing

yet there is no wear or anything out of shape. i have broken allot of lower arms while using these and no damage to them at all

and no the aluminum c hub and upright are not the reason for arms breaking. dumpsters and curbs are. plus a lightpost a sign post a huge boulder etc etc
Old 02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Modsledd

Where do I get these hubs and uprights? Who makes them? I broke my upright by landing on the rear tire from a big drop.... Engine, u say get a modded picco, ok which modder do i go with?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: Modsledd
Engine, u say get a modded picco, ok which modder do i go with?
You can mod it yourself going along with [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm]this[/link], or, maybe [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?memid=101479&section=profile&forum=1]Supertib[/link] will do you one...
Old 02-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Mr snuggles

mine are hpi aluminum