Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My savage arrived! Need help O_O

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
crowdie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My savage arrived! Need help O_O

Hey, my savage arrived today (used), I must say that I was very impressed. A wheel nut was missing (was in description..) so i bought new ones, but I was disappointed to find out they had the wrong thread (savage was two different threads? I can see the idea but...).
Now come the questions.
1: When I roll it backward the clutch bell moves, It doesn't on my hyper - Is this a problem or normal?
2: This may not be a problem... But the engine kind of gets high pitched and doesn't delivery much power, could this be the slipper clutch? If so do I tighten it?? Its early stages at the moment because I've only run it for 10 minutes
3: The wheel nut.... Does anybody know where I can find the left thread wheel nut (UK)
4: How are the sock steering servos? When I ran it they were a bit.... rubbish, but I'm charging the battery as I type, so I guess I will find out tomorrow

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, I cant wait to get this thing running properly, and bash it to the max

- Crowdie
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: My savage arrived! Need help O_O

1. Yes the clutch bell will move

2. Make sure the transmission is shifting, it may be stuck in first gear.

3. Try a hobby shop and hardware store.

4. Stock steering servos are junk, you will want to upgrade it.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
MadManAndrew

Is this a pre-X savage? The X has regular wheel nuts on both sides, but S25 and S21 have backwards threaded on the left side.
As for the clutch moving when rolled backwards, yes, thats normal.
your engine problems:What engine is it?if its a .21, don't expect much power, but, you may have slipper or clutch problems, check your clutch and tighten your slipper
wheel nut: towerhobbies.com
the servos suck, get new ones as soon as you can...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Coxwaan

for all savage spares in the UK use jespares.com they are excellent.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 AM
crowdie

Thanks I'm going to run my savage today, Hope my bodged wheel holds up :P You say the 21 isnt that powerful? I know he swaped it for the 3.5 one, but I guess that is still underpowerd too. I will probably drop a axial .28 in it, I hear there good - but that's later days. I want to go out and run it nnooowwww but its 9 am, and its LOUD
Old 02-07-2009, 04:52 AM
spiftacu1ar

the 3.5 is the 21, which is why its "also" underpowered. I don't know much about what engines are good, so I'll leave that to someone else.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 AM
crowdie

Ahhh right, I'm gunna see what this engines got in a few hours, just checked the car - now that the batteries are charged the throttle and break seem great, but you are right about the steering servo.
What do you think of [link=http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=11169]THIS[/link], I have it as the steering servo in my hyper and it is great, but is it too underpowered for the savage?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Parputt537

The 645 is a great servo for the steering. Some say you need faster, but I love my 645's. Can't beat the price and they last forever.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 PM
midntpumkin

ORIGINAL: crowdie

Ahhh right, I'm gunna see what this engines got in a few hours, just checked the car - now that the batteries are charged the throttle and break seem great, but you are right about the steering servo.
What do you think of [link=http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=11169]THIS[/link], I have it as the steering servo in my hyper and it is great, but is it too underpowered for the savage?

i had a bad one and interfiered with the transmitter, i now run all futaba 3305 in for steering and work just fine
Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM
crowdie

I ran it today, not good I'd affriad I striped one of my wheel hexes, and my bodge was too loose, so it was onlt two wheel drive - the engine was reving high and not going any were, could this be the cause? I fear I have bought a pile of crap and the gears / diffs are screwed . I've bought new wheels and am waiting for the proper nuts to arrive, If it still revs high then I am going to have to save some money to replace whatever is broken. I really do think its the gears, but I really hope it isnt.
I did tighten the slipper, it worked kinda, but not by much. The engine was starting to get a tune before it all went tiits up.
The front wheels spin hell of a lot more than the back, is this normal? From a quick examination everything looks fine, I know the clutch is fine because I chaecked that today, I might check the diffs tomorrow, but I may not get around to it - so I just have to wait until Tuesday for my parts to come, and then I can find out what else it wrong.
I just cant wait to get it bashing properly tho, I'm going to a great spot tomorrow, I was going to take the savage and get used to it - but I guess I'll be taking my hyper (nothing against that, the hyper is a great buggy)
Any tips on un-gluing my tire? I'm going to need to do that Tuesday when I replace the wheel, any help would be great
Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

check the rear drive shaft and both rear dogbones. sorry to say this but it sounds like a pre-x savage and the diffs are a pain to get to. replacement diffs are dirt cheap on e-bay though. get the metel cased ones for the most durability.

for ungluing wheels, bake them for 10 minutes in the oven and the glue should weaken. if that doesn't work you can always boil the tires for 10 minutes but you have to be careful and dry the foams off before putting the new rims on.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace those backwards threaded axle stubs with Savage X or XSS stubs so all your wheel nuts will be "lefty loosey"..................
Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

There is no substantiation to a good servo and those that try them never go back to inferior ones. Been there done that and will never go back. You all so probably have the 14mm wheel hes and need to up date to the 17mm.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I cannot agree more. I had the stock HPI servo on one of my savages, but compared to a 5645, it is crap. Then, I bought a 5995 tg robot servo, and that 333in-oz is unbeatable. A good servo goes a long way even for bashers
Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 AM
crowdie

thanks for all the help I want to check the gearbox today, and then see how difficult it is to get the the rear diffs, if there mashed then I'm going to have to wait a while to replace them as I'm low on cash.
I can see me putting hell of a lot of money into this, but I can just tell from everybody's opinion and videos ect that when I do - it will be a BEAST
I just hope the two loose wheels are what caused the engine to rev high and not go very far because only two wheels were driving. What do you guys think?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM
crowdie

Hey, I think the rear diff may be chewed, I have a few questions if I need to replace this.
1: Does it matter if it fits rear or front? Or will it work either way.
2: Can i get a diff from something like a savage 4.6, X, 25 ect (I know not the xl, well even if I can its too pricey)

Edit, how does this sound (off ebay)

HPI SAVAGE 2 BEVEL GEAR DIFF SET COMPLETE

ALL THE PARTS THAT WE ARE SELLING A 100% GENUINE HPI PARTS

HERE FOR AUCTION IS A

HPI SAVAGE 2 BEVEL GEAR DIFF SET COMPLETE. THIS DIFF IS IN GOOD WORKING CONDITION THE BEARING HAVE BEEN REGREASED

If that's a good one then I will probably buy anyway as I'm bound to strip one sometime or another even if I haven't already

Edit 2:
I don't think I will buy the diff actually, after talking it through with my dad he tested it and said it was working perfectly, and that the two wheels being loose (drive shafts spinning but wheels aren't) would defiantly cause the high pitched going no where problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
3-172IN MTN

you should buy the 4 bevel gear diffs!