Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Axial .28

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 AM
devast8r
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial .28

Hey guys could someone post some good pics of your linkages and carb on a savage with this engine? I bought one today but the carb was backwards so I turned it around but its a tight squeeze would like something to compare it to. Also how should I setup the engine spur gear mesh? Thanks alot any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:59 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Axial .28

You probably just need to rotate the little ball end thingy on the carb..

As for the mesh, I put two diagonal engine bolts in loose. Then I try to find the point where the mesh is snuggish, but doesn't bind. There should be a tiny bit of play.. I check the mesh by holding the spur gear still with my left hand so it can't move, and from the right chassis side, try to rotate the clutch-bell with my right middle finger. You should be able to just barely move it back and forth with a quick click-click-click sound.

So, as you push the CB back and forth really quickly while holding the SG you should hear a little click click click of the SG hitting the CB, the time between clicks being the play... Hope that makes sense.. [:@]

As for the linkage, adjust the ball end by using a tiny hex wrench that came with the Sav.. You might need to take the engine - or at least hte carb out, to do it...

You probably just need to rotate the carb ball end 180 degrees or so..
Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 AM
3-172IN MTN

To go along with HerrSavage's explanation I looked it up on YouTube and came up with this [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UtfV6r7VC8]video![/link] His written explanation is great however I think this video by HPI just adds a little bit to it.

On the carb I am sure it will fit just fine. If ou can upload a pic I am sure we would be able to help easier. Again, HerrSavage is probably right about it.

Good luck..
Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, perfect video to explain it.. Tricky thing on the Sav of course for beginners is that you can't see the gears straight on..., so it has to be done by feel.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 AM
3-172IN MTN

I had a bunch of issues at first, for some reason no matter how well it is explained it is hard to imagine a click. I am a visual person and someone posted that video a while back to show someone else. Or it was a offline conversation with BudBud and he sent me the link to show me that the click method was explained perfectly by HPI. It would be really nice if they included a video in an american box.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM
devast8r
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks alot guys that helps alot.