Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a DX3S in your Savage? Telemetry question -

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Anyone have a DX3S in your Savage? Telemetry question -

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
mjs4p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a DX3S in your Savage? Telemetry question -

I've just installed a Spektrum DX3S in my Savage X. Unfortunately, the telemetry for engine temp and RPM won't reach the reciever box for me to plug the wires in. Has anyone encountered this or engineered a good solution? Is there any way to extend the cords for the telemetry? I hesitate to do that on my own since they don't seem like standard servo wires.

In the absence of anything else, I'll probably just have to move the reciever and not use the box anymore, but I was just wondering if anyone had dealt with this. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
saxy174

Default RE: Anyone have a DX3S in your Savage? Telemetry question -

you need to use cable extenders. they come availible in 6", 8", 12," etc. I used a 6" extn. on the rpm line and 6" extn on the temp line. I also have the rx mounted in the stock location.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
mjs4p

Will one of these 2 work? I just want to make sure I get something where the connectors fit as I've never had a Spektrum radio before. Thanks.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPWA2&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGL3&P=7
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, those should do the trick perfectly.

I cannot remember if some of the telemetry sensors are only 2 wires, but if that is the case, you can remove one of the wires with a jewler's screwdriver to lift the tiny tab on the plug ends to take out the appropriate wire.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I just orded this setup. Glad I looked on here first to see that I needed a couple extension cables. What does the TX take for batteries?

josh
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 AM
mjs4p

I'm guessing you mean the DX (the radio). It takes 4 AA batteries, but they come with the radio. Other than the extension cables (if it's going in a Savage or something of similar size), everything else you need is included.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 AM
jbooker82

I got my radio in and running today. That is a nice upgrade from the factory HPI setup.

I didnt install the telimitry sensor's yet. I am running in snow and I didnt know if the sensors were water resistant or proof. I imagine I can get away with the head temp sensor since it is going to be hot.

Does anybody know if water will damage the rpm sensor? I am I going to have to take it off to clean my savage?

josh
Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
veedub

since when can you monitor rpm with your nitro engines?? how does that work?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 AM
jbooker82

There is mount that goes on top of where the engine mounts to the motor mount. There is a sensor that sticks off the end. You put a refective sticker on the flywheel. The photo cell reads the sticker. There is a temp sensor that goes around the cylinder head just like the conventional on board temp gauges. Both sensor's hook up to the RX and it broadcast's it to your remote. That way you can see RPM, Max RPM, Engine Temp, Max Engine Temp, and RX Battery Voltage

josh
Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 AM
jpsavage

Yes, I have installed all telemetry on my Savage X
I had a big problem with the supplied brackets fromSpektrum. I couldn't find a mounting point anywhere, but then I figured it out. Also no need for the servo extentions if you mount the same way on your Savage X. For an XL you will need them due to the extra length of the truck. Just make sure you super glue the decal on the flywheel, and also locktite all screws
I hope this helps you. Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33838.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1208164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73274.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1208165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18218.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1208166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45494.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1208167  
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 PM
barrydidntknow

I sooooo needed those picks. This has been upseting me for a while. Could not get the rpm sensor to read with concistency at all. As for the extra wire in the extensions for the temo gauge, no need to cut them out, just leave them as there is no connection from the sensor end. No difference either way when I tried set it up with the wire first and now without. Not worth the extra work. just keep the sensor way away from the header and exhaust as it really screws with it.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 PM
michael barber

how did you mount the sensor to the bracket? in the holes on the end of bracket or the holes on the side and does the sensor have to be directly behind fly wheel or can it be off a little thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
skantman69

Nice pics.... i needed those as well..

Old 02-27-2010, 04:05 AM
etopsflight

guys

i have two questions

a) what figures do you input on the transmitter to get the true speed with the stock gearing?

b) how did you install the rev and temp sensor leads thru the receiver box?

thanks in advance.

cheers

etops
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 AM
aussiexl59

i took the small cover off the side of the battery box lid.i also wrapped the wires in a casing to protect them.i run my truck pretty hard and ive had no problems.

Name:	Ol31375.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1387682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37973.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1387683  
Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
etopsflight

@aussiexl59

thanks for the photos. it's a good thing the receiver box has that optional apeture for the receiver led and also the battery charging jack. it means seldom have to open up the receiver box lid.

how's the half lean tank mod working for you?

i read somewhere that shortening the fuel line to a minimum will have benefits too.

so, how about the elusive answer to speed indiction from rpm and calculated by stock gearing?????? no takers??????

cheers

etops
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM
aussiexl59

my xl has bigger problems than the half tank lean.the 5.9 did a front bearing and it took me a long long time to work out the problem.i thort it was haft tank lean and tried everything!!!i ended up sayin screw u 5.9 and just ran it anyway.377f is the hottest it got to.things start to melt round there,body,coupling,manifold grommets,temp sender wire...now im running a 4.6 and its developing same problem....nitro can suk sometimes.as for rpm,speed...my sensor mount wasnt as good as the one at start of this thread.im goin to try this way and see wot i can come up with.il keep u informed.i just did wot the book said as far as roll out.it said{ the telemetry}the 5.9 idled on 12000 rpm.that sound rite to u ?

Name:	Ca81671.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1388145  
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM
etopsflight

rollout for the savage xl is what??

i cannot find it in the manual.

pls enlighten me......
Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
aussiexl59

ok,this is wot the book says"METHOD A...make the clutch bell that the sensor is reading from with a small reference mark,a marker works well,,set the car next to a ruler at 0" and roll the car foward by hand,counting each revolution of the ref., mark,at exactly 10 revolutions stop the car..measure the exact distance the car has travalled in 10 revolutions and divide that distance by 10 [eg,12.0" divided by 10=1.20"]...adjust the roll out value until 1.20 appears on the screen.now all rpmrelated functions will be displayed in mph or kph.......my xl was 8.7....METHOD B...for this method u need toknow ur internal gear ratio[normally provided by urcars manual]or be able tocalculate the ratio by counting the teeth on the gearsit is also nessecary tocalculate the circumference around the tyre,once the internal ratio is known and the circumference in inchs has been determined,simply divide the circumference by the internal ratioand use this value as the conversion.to calculate circumference multiply 3.14x the tyres diameter ininches...to calculate internal gear ratio,,dividethe larger gear by the smaller gear.with multiple gear transmissions,it is nacessary to mutiply each ofthe larger by the smaller gear reduction ratios to arriveat a final ratio...hope that all helps.i did methoda but it didnt seem to accurate...
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
hypnotiq

I have the telemetery installed in my nitro savage and the temp is off bit...

Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I have this set up in my savage including the reverse module and I am having problems with my receiver pack getting drained; I have th HPI 6V 1200mah nihm receiver pack installed and after about 30-35 minutes of running I have to recharge the battery which really sucks.
I have looked into using a lipo battery pack; does anyone know of good fit by that I mean a lipo pack that will not fry my receiver and what additional equipment do I need for it to fit ?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 AM
etopsflight

@aussiexl59

what you typed in the post, i already knew. I thought you meant the HPI manual had the figures for roll-out. i still wonder to this day why they dun have that data included. other manufacturers state the gear ratios in the manuals.

okay, built up my diffs and there was next to no grease in them from the factory. I cleaned them out and put silicone oil in them - 30K front and 50K rear.

spektrum temp sensor is in place but the rpm sensor and mount do not fit due to interferecne with the TVP. I did not install it. wondering if there will be some aftermarket mount which will allow you to mount either next the flywheel or the diff case - this would be cool.

i had some problems installing the servo horn on my Hitec steering servo. finally realised that the HPI stock had 25 teeth but the Hitec had 24 teeth. need to review the throttle servo come to think about it!

she's almost complete. will work on her again tomorrow and see if i can complete the install and the radio set-up. hope the weather is good next week so i can have my first run.

cheers

etops