Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage x 4.6 rtr servicing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
dave.levesque1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage x 4.6 rtr servicing

Greetings Everyone,

I own a savage x 4.6 rtr and i did not used it since this fall. It was in hobby room at a good temperature with no humidity but it had half tank gas for months. I already give it some after run oil in the carburator and the engine before storage and gave it a couple of shot with the roto start. Yesterday i removed the plug to see if there is any rust but everything seems to be fine. Before the storage i was now at 4 gallons and the only thing i have replaced is a spur gear (put a 52t) and the steering servo. I notice at the end of the summer last year that my truck had less wheelies and less power from start. Before i had to be very nice with the throttle or it would flip on its lid all the time !!! It was blazing fast !! My sliper clutch is tigthen perfectly (tighten all the way down then half turn back) My gear mesh seems to be perfect also. My glow plug is brand new it is a OS. I always used the same gas (wildcat 20% pink color). My rear diff is spinning also when i take the truck in my hand and give it some gas it just seems to spinn a little more on one side then the other but i guess its just related to some grass debries close to the wheels... I am thinking to do a good maintenance on it to give it back it's full power. I need to know after 4 gallons and what i already told you what would be a greate maintenance.

Questions :

1: do i need to replace any bearings or other parts ?
2: i have diff oil that i did not put yet in my differentials it's not gonna change anything in the performance but does it make a real difference for durability ?
3: I PLAN TO REPLACE THE CLUTCH SHOES, here in the forum i read a lot of user where using the dynamite aluminium clutch shoes long lasting AND TOLD THERE WERE the best performing and durable clutch shoes used even compared to the mugen one. I want a hard lunch so i guess i am good with 1.0mm spring. Also i plan to put a vented clutch bell. I want to put back a 49t spur gear so what vented clutch bell should i use ?

4: is there any GOOD performance pipe that give my truck a little more juice from the line. I want TORQUE and good speed. I am a mustang freak so you know when i say torque i am not joking. (future cobra 2003 owner).

Thank you very much guys for your advice and help !

Dave,
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM
dave.levesque1

Default RE: Savage x 4.6 rtr servicing

GUYS i need help and advice !
Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I would defiantly take the fuel out of the tank and put in fresh. If you have all most 4 gallons on it and have not done it before you should replace the shock oil. do the diffs and give a good look over.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

1.) Bearing check would be a good idea throughout the entire truck, but mainly all the bearings in the differential and case and clutchbell bearings.
2.) You should know this one! Would you rather have an open differential or a locked differential in your powerhouse Mustang? The thicker the oil, the consistent the power will be through all the wheels. I like my 50k/30k setup.
3.) Your low-end loss is probably due to your stock clutch shoes being worn out. The Dynamite shoes are great from what I have read, but I have not tried them out. You seem like you are on the right path with your CB and CS set-up. New clutch shoes, springs, bearings, and vented clutch bell, and you should be poppin' wheelies easily. If you just want low end grunt, then put a 16t vented CB in there with the 49t SG and see how you like it. You can also go with a 13/52 combo [>:]
4.) The "best" pipe for the stock F4.6 is probably the Ofna 056 for low end or 086 for top end.

What's your budget? Would you be interested in upgrading any other parts to gain more, such as a engine?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

4.) The "best" pipe for the stock F4.6 is probably the Ofna 056 for low end or 086 for top end.

Another pipe to look at is the Losi LST 2 HT but will have to get a manifold. You can pick them up cheap on ebay. All so this pipe is made to work on the right and gives less problems mounting. I had problems trying to mount a pipe made for the left side on my Savage. The pressure nipple is in the wrong locations. May run left hand pipes on the right but did now work well on mine.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

I was curious about that location as well a while ago, but I've read so much about people praising the Ofna pipes, so I figured that no one had problems with them. I have a 086 waiting to get mounted on a LRP30
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
dave.levesque1

Thank you very much for the advice guys ! Hey PrjctStrtFrce i will look the thickness of my diff oil to make sure it's right setup. Do you know if it exist a box that includ a all mixed up nuts , bolts, washer, bearings... for the savage so if you loose something you have some spair parts !

[:-]
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
pureham

tonysscrews.com has a great package for the Savage.I think it has every screw on the truck!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

The oil you have to buy separately. I purchased [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFT6&P=7]this[/link] because it's rather cheap and has 3 different weight oils in the kit.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM
dave.levesque1

Hey Guys,

I don't have any tools for replacing my clutch shoes... I saw some tools to install the clutch shoes easier but i never did it. Is there any tutorials with pics or is there any instruction that comes with the tools to install the clutch shoes ?! I fear to do something wrong and that i will have to buy other parts because i broke something. Then if i go to my local hobby store and ask the guy to do it he is gonna charge me i don't know how and i will not learn ... What woul you do guys, is it better to pay and get it replaced ? I have another issue. When i stopped using my savage last fall it was beacause i had a weird issue : when my truck was moving or started my throttle came crazy and was doing anything, i had a fail safe so i tought maybe it would be the problem but even the fail safe removed i still had the issue. Then i tought my hump pack was not properly charged so i get it charged but i still had the issue. I replaced the batterie in the transmitter but also had the same issue. Then i just unplug everything and replug everything looked if the crystal was loose... but everything seems to be ok. I start again and then i had the throttle servo going crazy and my steering servo also... now my steering servo doesn't move anymore at all!!! I tried to replace the receiver i put a futaba compatible with my transmitter but still the same thing... I am tired of this .... i would like to know if i am better to buy a spektrum 2 channel... it's expensive but at least i will never have any other issue. Do you think it is just bad servos ? My steering servo is a JR and it can had some water that touch it for a bit the very last time i used it...
Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
dave.levesque1

Hummmmmmm houston we've got a problem over ?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:58 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The clutch shoes are easy. All you need is a phillips screwdriver to take the clutch bell off, and then the shoes and springs should slide right off, and right back on. Definately dont pay to have it done!

As for your radio/servo problems im not sure what to tell you. Check your antenna wire for any cuts or being broken anywhere, and replace it if it needs it.

Also, is the motor tuned properly? If its not tuned right, it will be very low in power. You can also take the head off and remove one or 2 head shims to give you back some compression and power.

Eric
Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 PM
dave.levesque1

Ok so i just have to click on the flywheel the spring with a screw driver but why are they selling a tool specialy made for clutch shoes ? I also saw some sort of flywheel remover ?!! i just need to remove the clutch bell, unclick the spring from the flywheel, put the new one and reclick it on place and make sure i put the same side the shoes on the flywheel. I don't know why i feared that my truck wont catch at all if i do it my self but if this is that easy i will do it ! Is there any good 2.4 ghz no crystals and not too expensive. Where you guys buy youyr parts online ?! I live in Canada.

Thank you guys for your help you are making this hobby so much easier and nicer !
Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
eivgro

If the servo is still going crazy after changing the receiver, its probably the servo that has failed. Had a servo that did the same as yours, when I opened it, there were water/moisture in electronics. Tried to dry it and use electro cleaner, but it had to be replaced. I use towerpro 995 mg servos, they are cheap but strong. Some like them, others say they are crap. Mine has lasted for a long time now, havent had any problems with them. You should waterproof your servos, search and you will find different tutorials on how to do it. I used the plasti dip method.
The clutchshoes can be a little bit tricky. Bend out one shoe and push a small flat screwdriver down between the pilot nut and the spring. Then you can slide the clutch shoe off the flywheel, might have to use another flat screwdriver between shoe and flywheel to make it slide off. My english language arent the best hope i made you understand what I described.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
eivgro

The clutchtool are made for easy removal of the clutch shoes, but you dont have to use it, it can be done without it. I buy alot of parts from ebay auctions, and some from towerhobbies and smfstore.