Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage not shifting, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Savage not shifting, please help!

Hi I just got an used Savage, it's a .21 and it's not shifting to the second gear. So I took apart the transmission and have no clue where to start? Please help me

Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 PM
samguan

Default RE: Savage not shifting, please help!

I found the hole to adjust it now.. but before I put everything back together, I want to make sure the two speed is not broken, how can I confirm that?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shift is done by a spring loaded dog, the transmission also has a one way bearing in it. You should be able to slide out those gears and shafts and the should be clipped together so they do not fall into 30 parts in your hand. Just look them over for any signs of wearing, that will be really shiny spots on the surfaces. They are sloppy, I do not know how they take all that rpm as sloppy as everything fits. Check the bearings at the ends of the shats to make sure they are rolling easy and that the center is still tight.. the rest you will learn when you drive it. The two speed without reverse was pretty trouble free. Glen
Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 PM
twomanytoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything looks good. Just put everything back together and make sure you turn the correct screw. There are 2 screws and one of them holds the gear to the shaft the other is the shift screw. Also if its not tuned correctly it wont shift right.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
samguan

how much difference will a three speed upgrade make?