Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
mikel05
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

did they tell you what they thought the problem was? battery? esc?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: t9dragon
I don't think it was that people didn't believe him. As it was everytime people asked to see pics of the carnage from the esc fire, he wouldn't post them.
He didn't take pics because it was already gone and in the mail.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
takenotes Bch

Nice truck, can you show some pictures of it folded in half after your first bash session. The TVP's seem to be missing A important piece.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69729.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1150508  
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

OH SNAP! nice catch there takenotes bch. that might be a big problem.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
ezl_oo

why can't you guys just give the guy his props for making the first savage flux xl!! He must know what he's doing if he made the cut their on the tvps. If the truck breaks at that point. I don't see why he can't use flm tvps and make that same cut which will make it a lot stronger!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: ezl_oo

why can't you guys just give the guy his props for making the first savage flux xl!! He must know what he's doing if he made the cut their on the tvps. If the truck breaks at that point. I don't see why he can't use flm tvps and make that same cut which will make it a lot stronger!

You guys are chomping at the bit for a XL flux yet your gonna pick this guy apart? Common. If you can't see how that can be braced then you don't have a right to say that it can or can't be done.

Heres a rough drawing of how you could brace it. The brace would lap on the outside of the tvp leaving clearence for the motor and mount. Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99956.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1150563  
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
fabrimacator21

I drew the top view wrong. Flip it 180 and it's right.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
ilikestuff_2

all you are correct it will break in half. so it braced in the inside to give a clean look , your a funny guy tech nots bch . i have ran the truck 8 cycles and still no problems.hmmmmm braces must be working as planned.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 AM
takenotes Bch

Me so funny. Lets see some action Vids.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Buz_Bo

My Flux caught fire today and it's brand new out of the box. After running it 5min the drive gear came loose from the motor shaft so we took the top off and I noticed a plastic burning smell at that point and new it was doomed. Tightened down the gear and went for the final smoke the esc run. Sure enough and soon as some throtle was applied fire, smoke and popping and the esc met it's final death. I'll be calling HPI on Monday. GEES!!!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 PM
BudBud

Just curious, would running two left side chassis plates give you the clearance you needed?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Buz_Bo

I bought two of the Savage Flux from Tower for a freind and myself. The first one worked fine out of the box but the second one did almost exactly what you are describing. The first run (on the second Flux) lasted about 5min before the spur gear on the motor came loose. When we took it in to tighten the spur gear I noticed a plastic buring smell. I thought what the hell it's either going to work or explode (bad idea) so I just hook the batteries backup and as soon as throtlle was applied 4th of July came early. I thought all that happened was the esc blew. I was wrong, it took out one of the 5000mAH batteries with it, which I just figured out today. I hope HPI will take care of the battery cost also.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 AM
black mamba

This is the perfect time to mention this again. The slipper comes set very loose from the factory. You MUST tighten it up before running the truck. I mentioned this in a couple of the Flux threads on here. Mine was very loose.....took 2 full turns before it got tight. Had I run the truck without tightening the spur, it would've eaten the slipper pad in seconds. []

I haven't had any issues with the pinion set screw and certainly none with the motor/esc.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
scarletboa

ORIGINAL: black mamba

This is the perfect time to mention this again. The slipper comes set very loose from the factory. You MUST tighten it up before running the truck. I mentioned this in a couple of the Flux threads on here. Mine was very loose.....took 2 full turns before it got tight. Had I run the truck without tightening the spur, it would've eaten the slipper pad in seconds. []

I haven't had any issues with the pinion set screw and certainly none with the motor/esc.

knock on wood
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
fb5b

Unbelievable people use cheap rubbishy batteries (hellooooo maxamps!) and then ***** when things die.

Would you power a 6 second drag car on pump gas? 

Leave overhyped Maxamp packs where they belong, powering Silver can Tamiya TL-01's

Old 07-16-2009, 06:38 AM
turboschnecke

Hi,
I made the same experience.
I drove it 3 times at about 25 minutes, the third time the Flux start burning.
I made one drive ber day, it happend at the third day as my car catched fire after 10 minutes driving.
Completely demage!
The ESC caused a short - circuit, - you can think waht happens to lipo batteries, when samething like this happened.
The lipos we used was a Polyquest 5000mAh 3S 30CRacing Pack. - By the first two drives, they even didn`t became a litte hot, they just remained cold.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Freezetron

Jesus, not this crap again

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18981
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 PM
spoonrc

As a lot of people know the same esc and motor combo is being used in the E-revo brushless. There is some smoke ups on there aswell. You need to have something like a good 150amps to be safe. I say its all CC's fault. A lot of people are biased and say that the problem is Zippy batteries but to see a fresh flux straight from the box catch on fire with the cc's recommended maxcramps then obviously this is 100% a QC issue. Also, castle now ask what batteries you are using. They will apparently not warrant anyone using Zippy.

To me, this is really unsafe. These catch on fire and can cause some serious burns if you are plugging in your batteries and happen to WOT, if your hand was near the esc you could get burnt. Its stupid, there are lawsuits waiting to happen, plus CC isnt doing anything about it other then blame crap quality LiPos (zippy are NOT crap), and do some warranty claims. If GM produced a car that 1 in 1000 burst into flames because you used a not recommended fuel then there would be a whole siege of court cases. Thats my 2c. Even though all the HPI claims are handle through HPI there is still CC in the mix, they need to go back and produce a V4. I am going to purchase a ERBE and if it catches alight I will be getting the warranty replacement and then swapping it out for Tekin RX8..
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 AM
black mamba

Well, I've had my truck since the first week of February and so far no signs of fire.......even after the 50 or so Zippy battery cycles that have been through it. I only use 3S 30C 3500 and 3S 30C 5000 Zippy packs and have had 0 issues. LOL. Zippy packs aren't the "ESC killer".......if they were, I'd surely have had problems by now. I think the root cause of the problem is simply bad luck.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:12 AM
nabilmalik

spoonrc: So you thinkg that RX8 is better? Have you used it? I have also heard that it heats less.. However, we also know that MMM is extermely populer, thus we get to hear more issues as compared to RX8..
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nabilmalik

spoonrc: So you thinkg that RX8 is better? Have you used it? I have also heard that it heats less.. However, we also know that MMM is extermely populer, thus we get to hear more issues as compared to RX8..
year old post dude doubt they even remember this
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM
fluxme
My Feedback: (18)

my flux caught fire 3 times in 6 mounths sold the friggen thing
Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Never Enough

I have had a v1 and v2 Mamba Monster die just after purchase but the 2 new V3's have been great. If one of them dies i will wait for the big new Mamba XL that shouldn't be too far away.