Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 PM
ilikestuff_2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

just bought a savage flux.took it out of the box.slapped two maxamps 8000 lipos. pluggeg in the batteries.checked steering work ok gave it throttle and the esc burst into flames . anyone else had a problem with there SAVAGE FLUX?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
R/C Lightweight

Default RE: hpi SAVAGE FLUX ESC CATCHES FIRE out of box

I don'town a FLUX, but reading your post made me cry. Dude, that is not cool. Fresh outta the box, and not even a chance to see what it can do.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has yet to catch on fire...

Those Lipos weren't bigger than 3s each were they?

If they were 3s or less and everything else was within spec, I'd contact HPI.

I haven't heard of that happening before. I've run many packs through at 3s x2 without problems.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

[X(] That's nuts! I don't know anything about electrics, let alone LIPO batteries, but my assumption is your batteries were too powerful or you made reverse connections?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
ilikestuff_2

maxamp 8000 3s x 2 . let me tell you guys ,esc blew flames out of it.reached down and grabed battery connections and ripped them clean out of the esc.the batterys was super hot.just think this happen in my house (thank god)the battery did not go or i probaly would have burnt down my house.did not even get to drive it across the carpet .i sent it all to hpi.now it is a waiting game.let see how hpi takes car of this.i ask them to also replace both of my lipos.we will see.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM
transam388

As the above said I wonder if one of your batteries was wired wrong.? Are both wired with the Positive (Red wire) on the vertical point of your Deans plug? IE the plug is laying flat on the table so the negative on a Deans should be the one horizontal and the Positive being vertical. Check the photo.

I have run both NiMH and LIPO now and never had any problem. Check your batteries and then give HPI a call. Sorry man!! It is a fun truck though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73303.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1143335  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM
ArancioC5

That is a very rare case, a few V1. and V2s of the MMM used to have issues. Did you solder the deans to the maxamps or did maxamps? Sounds unlikely, but I guess anything is possible. Have pics?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM
dakamat

This is for all this reasons that i've sold out all my brushless stuff and return to nitro[:@]
The power of brushless is untouchable, but it's a real headache each time an ESC catch fire (3 for me, 2 MGM 16018 and one MMM V2) and when lipo start to baloon.[:-]
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM
ilikestuff_2

yeah battery where wired correct on the out side unless they was wired wrong under the covering?i just think it was a bad esc.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ilikestuff_2

just bought a savage flux.took it out of the box.slapped two maxamps 8000 lipos. pluggeg in the batteries.checked steering work ok gave it throttle and the esc burst into flames . anyone else had a problem with there SAVAGE FLUX?
I dont have a Flux either, but Whoo boy! A $600 USD Savage up in flames? I would be hopping mad! [:@]

I seriously dont know what to say.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
SSOOCH

I want to see pics of this. I'm running Maxamps 3C 5250's 11.1v in my flux and the speed control and batteries barely get warm. I'm guessing you had some bad wiring somewhere.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
ilikestuff_2

yeah $600plus for the truck and $600 in battery and about $200 building it to a xl savage. so it about $1400 . not really made at all but i would like to run the truck. im pretty sure if it would have been a battery issue at all the battery would have caught fire before the esc did.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see pics of the aftermath too...............
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 AM
transam388

Yeah, post some photos.

It is a bad deal but you probably just got a messed up ESC and I would imagine HPI should warranty that no problem. Since it caught fire I would request the whole truck be warrantied just to be safe.

Not really sure how but maybe your LHS can also check your batteries and the output to see if those are OK.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM
ArancioC5

yeah $600plus for the truck and $600 in battery and about $200 building it to a xl savage. so it about $1400 . not really made at all but i would like to run the truck. im pretty sure if it would have been a battery issue at all the battery would have caught fire before the esc did.
Did you say XL? Thats BS my friend, I've done the research. This is another forum troll. Here let me explain why this is bs...

1. Show pics
2. How would it cost $200 when the only difference is a body and TVPs?

Stop the caca talk.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

Did you say XL? Thats BS my friend, I've done the research. This is another forum troll. Here let me explain why this is bs...

1. Show pics
2. How would it cost $200 when the only difference is a body and TVPs?

Stop the caca talk.

I agree with ArancioC5....................

Show us pics of the carnage. And if you modified the truck you probably voided any warranty that you had.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 PM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

he prolly just forgot to take pics b4 he sent it in 2 hpi.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 PM
ArancioC5

He also forgot that on this forum we know a little about the trucks we own. If an XL Flux could have been done it would have been done by me a long time ago. As I see it, it is only possible if you were to back-half a second Flux set of tvps and figure a way to bolt it to the main TVPs and then make spacers to attach the rear lower cross member, and where the rear diff screws/ snaps into place. In other words, it aint happening.

The other method would be to cut the XL chassis toward the rear middle and cut the rear of the flux TVPs and bolt on the flux rear upper part that you hacked off. I guess that method would work but it would be ugly even if someone skilled did it. I also think the FLUX has a lower COG then the other Savage chassis if you take a look at the bottom of the chassis. The Flux TVPs also are straight on the bottom to protect bottom impacts that would other wise hit the battery boxes if designed like the other Savages.

All I know is that I smelled this guy's feces from the first time I read his post when my first post requested pictures. The internet really brings out the losers.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 AM
twomanytoys

HMM first he said it was right out of the box when it went up in flames then he says it was built to XL Savage?[:-] Building to XL savage is not right out of the box.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 AM
spiftacu1ar

I did a brushless conversion on an XL (actrually flm ext TVP, but close enough). DOn't see why its so unbelievable. THe price of the savage flux is cheaper than any other savage RTR plus the cost of Mamba MOnster 2200kv combo (flux is $600, X is $400 at least, mamba combo is at least $250, 400 + 250 = 650. $600<$650). Maybe he did not use the stock flux motor mount. Its really not that hard to fabricate a motor mount out of an L bracket like TEX did. Just limits the gearing a bit. Still fine if you use a 47t spur. Whether the warranty stands if you do this is another story. Im pretty sure they will still warranty the ESC/Speed control though, as it is not affected by other mods to the vehicle. Proly not much different then castle warranty.

If he claims to use stock motor mount, however, it would be rather hard to believe. I din't reaqd anythign where he said he did though. I'm gonna give home benefit of the doubt until he actually claims something outlandish.

Also, not using the flux mounts explains the $200 price point on conversion. It's easy to spend $200 on making a custom set up like that.

EDIT: twomanytoys has a good point though. Maybe he built it up before ever runnign it? I dunno, just possibilities. I'm jsut saying, its not very nice to rag on someone who didn't make the specific claims you assumed he was. He obviously does not have the vehicle on him to take pics (he says he sent it to HPI)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

HMM first he said it was right out of the box when it went up in flames then he says it was built to XL Savage?[:-] Building to XL savage is not right out of the box.
What does building to an xl have to do with the esc burning?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 AM
ilikestuff_2

i will se if my buddy still has a photo on his cell phone he took.(before fire)if not i will post photos of it as soon as i get it back form hpi with fedex tracking info when i shipped it to hpi also tracking to where it was shipped back to me from hpi so you all see i it was built before i posted this thread. when i get it back i will test it out and if it works well i will be selling chassis kits with in a couple of days.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
ilikestuff_2

thank you . with a mill and leathe you can build anything. does anyone one want to put money on this build.i could use a little extra cash to build another xl flux to do a transmission project to make it shift in to other gears maybee even three of them.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
ilikestuff_2

using stock motor mount 25/43 gearing. pleanty of room. (((43 what that 44 is stock)))) could i have made my own gear ??????
Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 AM
ilikestuff_2

also if any one is interested i had a stock chassis battery boxes wheels tires body drive shaft and outer axle for sale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.