Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Got my Savage .25 tonight!(now with video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Savage .25 tonight!(now with video)

Hey guys. Im sure most of you guys will think this post is kinda boring, but I just traded for an HPI .25 Savage tonight! I have wanted to try a savage for a while now. My cousin also recently got one identical to this, and i really like it. I put something for sale or trade on craigslist and a guy called me and said he had this, so we met up tonight and traded Up until now I have only really owned traxxas vehicles.

The truck only has 1/2 gallon of fuel through it including break in. Now, this boy was pretty redneck(and i consider myself to be pretty country), so i have no idea if he followed the break in on it or not, but he had the manuals, a glow igniter, the 18t clutch bell, extra tall body post for the rear, and the roto start and battery and charger he gave me with it.

So I was really anxious to run it when i got it home. I put charged batteries in the receiver, and the transmitter, got my glow igniter, tuning screwdriver and a charged 7.2v battery, and started trying to get it to run. It already had a full tank of fuel, and i dont know how old the fuel was. I didnt mess with the needles, and I got it to hit but couldnt get it to run. So I richened the HSN quite a bit and tried again. I got it to run a little, so i richened some more and finally got it to run. I let it idle a second, and then drove it around the yard some. Every time i would run it hard it would cut out really bad like a lean condition. Even after richening it a lot, I still had the same problem. I figured the fuel was old since he bought it when he bought the truck(gave me the rest of the gallon he never ran in it), so I poured it out, and put some fresh fuel in it. Started it back up and ran it around some more and it was no time that it was running great. So once i got it to quit cutting out, I ran it around and got it tuned. Im running it a tad rich on the HSN, but not too rich. Man she runs great! It idles perfect, accelerates hard with no hesitation and has great power. I wasnt expecting quite as much punch from it, but it really surprised me I thought i may get tired of the stock motor fast, but i really like it so far, and i think it will be plenty for me. You can also tell its been ran hardly any by looking at the head. No anodizing gone, and its never been skid on it doesent look like.

I have been running my t-maxx, and I now see what the savage hype is about. Its just a great truck even box stock like mine is. Motor holds a tune great, and runs perfect and the rest of the drivetrain is bullet proof and smooth as silk

Anyways, my cousin also just got one, and his brother in law just bought a new savage X 4.6 that he hasnt recieved yet, so now i wont be the lone ranger without one. The T-Maxx will be for sale probably within the next couple of weeks, and i may even sell my nitro rustler. I just like this truck a lot and think ill be happy only having it, so i think the others will be going up for sale.

Anyways, now for some pictures! Its a little dirty, but it had never been cleaned, and all the bearing are tight and feel good so Im real happy with it so far. I hope to be spending a lot more time in the Savage forum now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74933.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	1151957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33098.jpg
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	1151958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52750.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1151959  
Old 03-07-2009, 02:39 AM
cummins driver

Default RE: Got my Savage .25 tonight!

I only ran a tank through it tonight, but it ran perfect the whole tank. I plan to run a couple tanks through it tomorrow. I only ran it in the dark some tonight, so im looking forward to getting some real run time in with it. So far i really like it though. I guess the boy that had it just ran that little bit through it, and put it in his closet. He said he hadnt ran it in probably a year. I think ill sell my other 2 trucks, buy some spare parts, and maybe a pipe and receiver pack for this truck and run the heck out of it. Dont really plan on any upgrades until i have problems. I may go through and locktite some screws on it too. Let me know what you guys think. I guess y'all can consider me another converted traxxas guy. [8D]

Few more pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37421.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1151965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18547.jpg
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	1151966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73554.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1151967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49084.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	1151968  
Old 03-07-2009, 03:17 AM
-SomeGuy-

WOW! Except for the dirt it looks new. Good trade.

If you stay with the stock engine then you really dont need any upgrades. The few things you could look into is brakes, failsafe and maybe a stronger steering servo. Once you go for more power though you will need a few things for it to hold up, mainly diffs, drive cups, alloy shoes.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only upgrades IMO really worth looking into would be from among the following: the 3-speed, maybe a stronger faster steering servo, alu clutch shoes..(Mugen with 1.0 springs..), and also maybe an HPI polished pipe.. I think a bone-stock 25 is still among the best bashers ever though.. For cheap upgrades, I'd start with the pipe, then maybe a servo, a 3-speed if you can find one cheap, and then alu clutch shoes, but only when your stockers start c.rapping out.

My 25, ssssoooooo unlike my X SS, was an indestructible tank(except for the diffs, which I never shimmed or messed with in any other way..)

I would say just run it til something breaks, then look into options. Down the road, you might want to look into upgrading to X SS diffs. Then you'd be OK for upgrading the engine. This requires new shocktowers, bumpers, bumperposts, skids, etc though.. Though to be honest you could probably just buy and install the diffs themselves and forget the all the other stuff, which is basically just for easy access..

The main disadantage of the older Savages like the 25 is that you pretty much have to take them completely apart to get to the diffs...
Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 AM
cummins driver

Yeah, I have heard they are a little tougher to work on, but i really dont mind. It seems to be so well made, and beefy that i shouldnt have to work on it a lot. And like you guys said, if i stay with the stock engine, the drivetrain should be fine, so I wont worry with it until i think about upgrading.

I traded a diesel truck stack kit for the Savage. The stack kit is $330 new, but I actually won it in a giveaway on a diesel truck forum, so I dont have a penny in this savage. Pretty much a free truck for me I figure the savage with what i got was worth $250 or a little less. I would have taken $250 cash for the stack kit, so I think i came out good. I locktited a few screws on it a minute ago, and put a fuel filter on it. She should be ready for some run time tomorrow

Thanks for all the help and info guys, I appreciate it[8D]
Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
BudBud

That thing looks pretty virgin like to me, send it up here, I will drop in a Picco 28 and get things softened up really good for you. Seriously though, it is a nice looking truck and should give you lots of great service and fun. I do not mind tearing the truck apart to work on the diffs, I think the old style supports the ring to pinion mesh much better than the new ones. Glen
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
cummins driver

Thanks a lot guys. I cant leave you hanging without a video though. It'll be uploading to youtube in a minute

I can only imagine how a picco would be[X(] Im sure ill get myself into enough trouble as it is. haha
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
cummins driver

Well, here is the video Probably boring to most of you guys with mean big blocks, but im sure enjoying it for now

I did manage to strip a spur. I noticed the mesh was a little loose last night, but decided to leave it alone since it had worked for 1/2 gallon for the guy before me... Bad idea. I stripped it off today[&:]

Whats involved with putting a new spur on? Looks like i need to pull the motor, right?

I may run by the hobby shop tonight and pick up a few spur gears. At least i got some decent running in on this nice 65* day

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE52SWbi0NI
Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on finally getting the truck! The 25 bone stock is sooo much fun and extremely durable. On the first gallon, I went out jumping getting 20ft vertical air in sand dunes landing on concrete and kept doing it till the fuel tank exploded. You will absolutely love this truck, unlike the T-maxx the arms and bulkhead assembly is almost bulletproof. My T-maxx has been collecting dust too cause I always take the Savage out and it breaks 1/10 the time my Maxx does. (My Maxx should be going for sale too lol)

For upgrades, I think my first upgrades were a failsafe and the HPI SS dual brakes. Also get a better steering servo and you are set[8D]. Personally, I would run the engine to the ground as is instead of buying a pipe for it, and later go all out with a nice LRP .28 or Mach .27 if you don't want too much power with a nice pipe. I ran mine for 2.5 gallons with the stock pipe and it served me very well, then I got a great deal on an upgrade engine and onto ebay it went. The stock .25 tunes very easily and is extremely reliable, your reminding me of the joy I had when I opened the box.

Once again conrats and I hope you enjoy it, I've been loving it for the last 9.5 gallons,

Tom.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 PM
rcnitrohead

Just saw the vid, you've got that thing running well! I remember my old .25 would only pull the wheels up on an almost perfect tune, but you've got it going. Hmm as for the slipper, damn I've only changed mine once and that was 2 years ago[&:], first try unscrewing the slipper nut and it should come off. I honestly don't remember if it involves taking the engine off but I don't think so. Mesh it right and it will serve you forever, been running a 47T plastic spur for these last 2 years with a .30 engine, no hiccups!

Tom.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:50 PM
cummins driver

Default RE: Got my Savage .25 tonight!(now with video)

Thanks a lot man, Im getting a lot better at tuning within the last few weeks. This is my first big block of any kind. I just love how smooth it is, and the torque it has. My 2.5 on the maxx is a strong motor, but i can tell that it cant handle an early 2nd gear shift like my savage can. That big block just pulls right through it

Yep, ill be sure and set the mesh and loctite the screws this time and maybe she will last me a while. Ill probably pick up a couple spurs to be safe though.

I liked the maxx pretty good, but i REALLY like this savage. I dont need 3 trucks, so I think the maxx will go, and i will probably get rid of my nitro rustler too. I think this one truck is all i need since all i do is bash anyways I plan to try and take good care of it and clean it often, but it will get run too

And i will definately run the motor until its done. Then i may rebuild it and do it again[8D]

Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 03-07-2009, 02:20 PM
rcnitrohead

Yeah its really important to use Lock-tite. I remember with the truck stock, I didn't have many problems at all with screws coming off. But once I upgraded to an FLM chassis and used their machined screws, man that thing started rattling apart like crazy. Watch your engine screws (the 4 that you screw to tighten down the engine mount to the engine plate) cause on my truck if I don't put a little dab they will rattle right off. One time I forgot and I lost 2 screws while running from the mount and the engine was rattling around the chassis while it was still running LOL.

Tom.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
cummins driver

Well, i just got the motor off. Decided to take it off and loctite the 2 screws underneath it, and also to help me get a little more familiar with the truck. Didnt take but 10 minutes or so. Shes ready to go back together, just gotta get a spur now! haha

I already have a hitec 645mg servo. It is on my maxx, but ill be taking it off before i sell it. Would it be plenty for the steering on my savage? Im pretty impressed with the stock servo, but if i just have this laying around, may as well use it[8D]
Old 03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
twomanytoys

Sounds real good. It has a real nice idle and takes off pretty good. It may need to be leaned out just a tad more for better take off but if you are happy with it then dont mess with it. Good job. If you are changing the spur it would not hurt to change to aluminum shoes. You will get alot better wheelies and the clutch will run cooler.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM
BudBud

Depending on the Spur gear, most of the time you can change them without removing the engine. Just back off the nut and tip the gear as it cleared the throttle pivot. The larger spurs do not sork that way though. I do not know what the 25 had.

Like the others said, that engine sounded great! It had no run on at the low end, was pulling decent rpm for the 12 pound load it was dragging and was shifting nicely. Good job man and a nice score! I can tell I was not driving because I would have done a 45 to 50 mph cartwheel into one of those pampas grass clumps, if it is there, I will find a way to hit it! That hump in the yard is going to be fun when you dial up some more speed! Glen
Old 03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
cummins driver

Thanks a lot guys! It means a lot for BudBud to tell you your tuning is pretty good Oh, and what is "run on"? Is that when the motor stutters as you are slowing down from high rpm?

Im still working on my tuning and learning what signs mean what, but im figuring it out. I have also learned old fuel may run the motor, but it will not run right. He gave me 1/2 gallon but i guess it was old. Im done with it. I may keep it to clean parts with.

I got a spur tonight, but the only people in the hobbytownUSA were women Had no idea how to look up what i wanted and all they could find was a 49t savage X spur. I bought it thinking maybe it was the same, but its not. I made it work with some spacers, but the nut backed off on me earlier. It did good for a while though, i may be able to run it, Ill just have to keep an eye on it. I may be able to find a way to keep it on.

I havent had any wrecks with it yet, but i know it will happen. It handles much better than my t-maxx simply because its new and the bearing and all are good and tight.

BudBud, good eye on the hump in the yard. Its pretty fun to hit it. I plan to get some videos running some other places, i just want to get the truck dialed in before i start running it real hard Need to find some good dirt piles, and small jumps.

twomanytoys: I probably will go to an aluminum clutch once i sell my t-maxx. Thanks for the compliments too[8D]

I really appreciate the tips and comments guys. Im still learning the savage so i appreciate you guys answering my questions and helping me along the way.

Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 PM
BudBud

Yes Sir! Run on is that nasty cackle they make when they are too lean on the low end and do not fall to an idle. I have lots of 5.9 videos before I had one modded with the lean run on. Your engine sounds great! Bring your tuning screwdriver and come on over! Glen
Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 AM
cummins driver

I figured that is what it was, I just wasnt sure.

On the other hand, I have been having problems with my one way bearing tonight. I am really starting to hate those things. I never do have to great of luck with them it doesent seem. Oh well, If thats the worst of my problems, ill be in good shape[8D] It just wasnt something i wanted to deal with so soon. Does the roto start eat one ways pretty bad?

The original one way fell apart on me after i cleaned it and tried it a couple times, then i stuck another old one in it, and it gave out about as soon as i tried cranking it. Oh well, I may have to just break down and buy a new one. Im getting real good at taking the motor off though

Edit: I think i got it fixed. It seems to be working ok, but i will probably pick up a one way soon. Its 2:00 here and im wrenching on my savage. I guess thats when you know you are addicted It started good a few times a minute ago though. Maybe i can run it some more after church tomorrow[8D] My spur kind of cut my run time short today.

Id love to run with ya BudBud, but your just a little far away
Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 AM
3-172IN MTN

You know a spur gear is a user fixable problem. I had my XL out today for the first time since I received it a few months ago. The engine was broken in on a couple other chassis and I was very excited to have it running. Packed everything up and drove to the park. Again, temp changes and bad glow plug batteries made the first part of the morning suck(could not get it started at all). Well, got home used my battery operated Ignitor started right up. About a half tank in the street in front of my house and back to the park. Started right up! I thin I am stuck in second gear and dont think it is shifting to third. Oh well, maybe it is shifting, those that have seen it run say they heard it shift.

Anyway, moral of the story is I get it down range after about one minute of running take a turn a little tight and bam no responce from the throttle. I walk a little closer thinking maybe my Futaba FAAST was out of range, nope get there and the throttle servo is fried. No more fun today, about a tank through it and that was all she wrote.

So, a spur, not a bad deal, you can get a new one for pretty inexpensive, and it is user error, I have done that one before. But for a brand new part to break on me on the first run, that is not right. I bought a new one and the guy at the hobby shop is sending it back for a warranty.

Otherwise your truck sounds great, nice wheelies that were not even advertised on the HPI promo video. You look like you are going to have tons of fun.

Earl
Old 03-08-2009, 03:07 AM
cummins driver

Yep, I knew better than to not tighten up the mesh when i looked at it last night. I already have it fixed though and it is adjusted perfect now, so i believe it will be fine[8D]

It is frustrating to have problems that shouldnt happen like your servo though. Especially on a nice day outside when you are really wanting to run! I was just glad i got a tank in before i stripped the spur today. Got a chance to get it running good and really get the hang of driving it
Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 AM
3-172IN MTN

This is the second half of a tank that I was running at home. The truck has down right to much power and it is great. I am going to change up my gearing alittle bit before I adjust the tranny again. But so you can share in my pain here is a little link to my video. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x142Oq6v_fQ]Link[/link]

I am at work and was going to tool on my XL tonight to get it ready but I forgot one little screw and that destroyed my whole idea.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Hordsak

Damn that thing has a nice tune. If your new to nitros and you've tuned that congrats.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
cummins driver

Thanks man, I just got back into nitros about 2 months ago. I got my t-maxx running and acquired a nitro rustler, so i have had a little practice, but im no veteran by any means. I really appreciate the comments

3-172- That definately is a bummer, but unfortunately it happens. It gets us all at some point or another.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
cummins driver

Well, the OWB is shot. I knew it wouldnt last long though. My cousin got a new spare with his truck and doesent need it, so looks like i will be getting that from him soon.

In the mean time, i have the motor off, and i went ahead and RTV'd the backplate, and carburetor. I kind of hated to mess with it since it had been doing so well, but i dont figure it can hurt anything. Should eliminate any guessing if i ever have problems with it.

Anything else i should do while its apart?

One thing i have a question about is the brakes.... They dont work too well even with the adjuster pretty tight. My cousins .25 seems to have a lot better brakes, but i havent driven it a lot so its hard to say. I dont know if something isnt adjusted correctly on mine, or it could be that im only running 4.8v in the receiver because im using rechargeable AA's for the time being. He was running standard AA's(6.0v). Any help is appreciated. I may have to upgrade to the dual brake setup.

Eric
Old 03-08-2009, 07:09 PM
twomanytoys

A 6v pack will have way better braking than the AA pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.