Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

keep 5.9 or sell it??

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
absolutemayhem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep 5.9 or sell it??

i plan on buying the savage xl, and wanted to know if the 5.9 is worth running, or should i sell it new and put the picco .28 ( mabye the lrp) in. is the 5.9 a good reliable engine that holds a tune?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM
twomanytoys

Default RE: keep 5.9 or sell it??

Sell teh 5.9. It has not been a great engine. Itys got problems with bearings, needles falling out and air leaks. Also the Picco and LRP will be faster anyways. Top end of the 5.9 is not all that good. You can easily sell the 5.9 on ebay and get the money or at least most of the money you need. You can also wait till the lrp 30 comes out.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM
stlfreeride03

I just put a Picco .28 and 086 pipe on my XL and love it...I had the clips in the piston fail on me 2 time already and had nothing but problems with the 5.9...The truck is awsome with the Picco
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 AM
absolutemayhem

when does the lrp .30 come out? also is there any thing else that needs attention out of the box? besides lociting
Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
BudBud

The LRP 30 is out, in at least two variations, the LRP and Nosram 30. The Aussies and Europeans have local access to them, I am not sure when they will hit the US market. Glen
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
bigwaltc

I don't like selling my trucks or my old parts so I am keeping the 5.9 in my XL till she hand grenades her self Then the picco goes in. I will rebuild the 5.9 and put it in some thing else like my Tower Terror or what ever [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 AM
barrydidntknow

Heres hoping my 5.9 has problems just befor the p3 Im getting from supertib arrives. Then I can explain the new one to my girlfriend.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Nitrocrow

So far my XL 5.9 is ok . . . seems to need a tune every run. I have 7 tanks through it . . . getting better every run . . . but the general set up on the XL seems lacking?

I am constantly having to adjust the idle and throttle servo . . . have random shut downs . . . always running rich, then bam engine temp jumps to 300+ . . . while smoke and muff discharge are everywhere

My low speed needle seems really tight . . . hard to do an 1/8 turn, only done 2 1/8 turns . . . but feel as though it's going to break.

If anyone can give me a history of their tuning experience with the 5.9 please help.

I am headed in the right direction and things slowly get better . . . but the idle and throttle servo are really getting to me. Every time I run I am having to mess with idle, breaking, revs and spinning wheels . . . and then random idle shut downs . . .

I am loving the tweaking, but . . . will this thing ever run smooth ?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: Nitrocrow

So far my XL 5.9 is ok . . . seems to need a tune every run. I have 7 tanks through it . . . getting better every run . . . but the general set up on the XL seems lacking?

I am constantly having to adjust the idle and throttle servo . . . have random shut downs . . . always running rich, then bam engine temp jumps to 300+ . . . while smoke and muff discharge are everywhere

My low speed needle seems really tight . . . hard to do an 1/8 turn, only done 2 1/8 turns . . . but feel as though it's going to break.

If anyone can give me a history of their tuning experience with the 5.9 please help.

I am headed in the right direction and things slowly get better . . . but the idle and throttle servo are really getting to me. Every time I run I am having to mess with idle, breaking, revs and spinning wheels . . . and then random idle shut downs . . .

You are getting random shut downs and high temps because your LSN is to lean. You have smoke at WOT because you HSN might be OK. The LSN is a much finer very slight adjustment
Old 03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I say sell it!!!!!

Heck, even if the engine were the older K4.6 engine, I would sell that too.

Tday's aftermarket engines are just so much better than the K engines.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Nitrocrow

Nah I am blowing smoke and un-used fuel at all rpms . . . from Idle to high speed . . . I have only gave the low speed a 1/16 turn. I have an air leak somewhere . . . but I'm afraid I don't have the expertise to rebuild an engine yet.

On blocks should my drive train be spinning at all . . . that is another thing I can't correct no matter how much I minor(ly) tweak idle, break and servo . . .

ORIGINAL: bigwaltc

You are getting random shut downs and high temps because your LSN is to lean. You have smoke at WOT because you HSN might be OK. The LSN is a much finer very slight adjustment
Old 03-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Nitrocrow

Though Big Walt I will turn the LSN back that 1/16 . . . if you think that is the case . . . so far from what I read I respect you !!!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Nitrocrow

btw lsn is flush . . .
Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 PM
bigwaltc

Though Big Walt I will turn the LSN back that 1/16 . . . if you think that is the case . . . so far from what I read I respect you !!!
Well don't start bowing at my feet yet I'm just going off what you said in your post about turning the LSN 2 1/8 turns lean I know that's to lean if that's the case [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-14-2009, 06:44 PM
bigwaltc

Nah I am blowing smoke and un-used fuel at all rpms . . . from Idle to high speed . . . I have only gave the low speed a 1/16 turn. I have an air leak somewhere . . . but I'm afraid I don't have the expertise to rebuild an engine yet.

On blocks should my drive train be spinning at all . . . that is another thing I can't correct no matter how much I minor(ly) tweak idle, break and servo . . .

You might have a air leak too. There are so many things to consider when you are trying to make these things run right [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Nitrocrow

Yea After a run and the shut down at 2 1/8 turns (1 1/4 turn) on the LSN . . . I turned it back
(1/8 and then some), though smoke was everywhere and it was still spitting . . . still say result . . . and still super sluggish acceleration . . . thanks for help though!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Nitrocrow

bigwaltc . . . WAS EXACTLY RIGHT . . . today in warmer weather, I turned back the LSN (rich), and MAGIC, no shutdowns or stalls . . . leaned the HSN a tad more and my 5.9 XL is running like a dream . . . THANKs MAN !!! Doing wheelies and engine temp is a purrrfect 240 !

Thanks folks !!!

and thanks to Budbud . . . also . . .

Old 03-15-2009, 04:32 PM
bigwaltc

bigwaltc . . . WAS EXACTLY RIGHT . . . today in warmer weather, I turned back the LSN (rich), and MAGIC, no shutdowns or stalls . . . leaned the HSN a tad more and my 5.9 XL is running like a dream . . . THANKs MAN !!! Doing wheelies and engine temp is a purrrfect 240 !

Thanks folks !!!

and thanks to Budbud . . . also . . .

Good to hear she is running good Bro [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
TJ31

Good to hear it's running well for you! I never realized how picky these motors can be until I learned the hard way! The slightest turn on the LSN will affect it, and the MSN gave me some problems as well, I used copper RTV and siliconed it, as well as the base of the carb. Had a buddy from another forum (local) help me out, he gave me some free parts and gave my truck a quick tune! Very happy thus far, had a fun night on Saturday in the cold!