Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hellfire or Savage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 PM
hans4811

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hellfire or Savage?

okay, you guys convinced me...just put a bid on this...looking at budbud's pics, it looks like the MBX5T...anyone confirm it ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60631.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1159932  
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I always break them where the turnbuckle attaches. You wind up with a turnbuckle attached to a little chunk of plastic and a back wheel that flops around at will. I have some videos with the broken parts and me still driving. Eventually though, it will spit out the dogbone or wedge it and lock up that wheel.
Ah, that issue. I've broken many knuckles at that spot. You need a set of these:

Since installing them, I have had zero issues.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
BudBud

That would definitely help!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I am not a racer, just a guy that likes to run hard. It would be neat to see what they improved, but I have a lot of truggies to tear up now before I need another! You could buy one though, and send me a report!

The RC Gods were frowning on me today. I went out to run, but everything seemed to go wrong.

Left my starter box battery in the garage charging, so I used my car battery... was trying to figure out an engine and ran my glow charger dead messing with it. Grabbed my back up AA charger and fired up my X, broke the upright on the opposing side of the one I broke yesterday.

Even old faithful, my first modded Picco would not start, second pull, the starter rope broke...with that, I packed up my gear and came home. []
Its never a Savage day unless you break somethng!

Many baby their RCs, but Savages break alot because we bashers BASH them! And that is what I love abot our Savages!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Ah, that issue. I've broken many knuckles at that spot. You need a set of these:

Since installing them, I have had zero issues.
Those braces, did you make them or did you buy them? If you bought them, where did you get them from?

I know I can use a set, I busted those same uprights hitting curbs, trashcans, even trees and even a parked car!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
bigwaltc

Savagejim sounds like you need driving lessens not upright braises [sm=75_75.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Nah, I guess it is just shear bashing mentality, bash it 'til it breaks! Even if it were a high dollar Mugen, I most likely would bash that and jump it until that breaks something too! (And to boot, just to say I did )
Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Nah, I guess it is just shear bashing mentality, bash it 'til it breaks! Even if it were a high dollar Mugen, I most likely would bash that and jump it until that breaks something too! (And to boot, just to say I did )
Just giving you a bad time my Nitro Brother [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Nitrocrow

I am not a racer, just a guy that likes to run hard. It would be neat to see what they improved, but I have a lot of truggies to tear up now before I need another! You could buy one though, and send me a report!

The RC Gods were frowning on me today. I went out to run, but everything seemed to go wrong.

Left my starter box battery in the garage charging, so I used my car battery... was trying to figure out an engine and ran my glow charger dead messing with it. Grabbed my back up AA charger and fired up my X, broke the upright on the opposing side of the one I broke yesterday.

Even old faithful, my first modded Picco would not start, second pull, the starter rope broke...with that, I packed up my gear and came home. []
Its never a Savage day unless you break somethng!

Many baby their RCs, but Savages break alot because we bashers BASH them! And that is what I love abot our Savages!

Being old school JR-X2 Electric RC driver here . . . today alone I did so many flips and landed wrong on 1 front wheel . . . and nothing broke . . . that would have been $75 bucks at least with the old losi . . . I am super impressed with the dur-it-ability of this machine . . .

Brother wants a Revo 3.3 as durable or not ??
Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Those braces, did you make them or did you buy them? If you bought them, where did you get them from?

I know I can use a set, I busted those same uprights hitting curbs, trashcans, even trees and even a parked car!
I made them. 3.2mm thick 6061-T6 aluminum angle stock.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
BudBud

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPK0geyRtI]This video[/link] ends with a little strange driving thanks to a broken upright, plus I rang a gate pole with it after missing a jump. See Jim, you are not alone....
Old 03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bigwaltc

Just giving you a bad time my Nitro Brother [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Its all good, I know I break stuff all the time. When I'm out bashing everyday or every other day, I swear I crash or wreck such that something definitely busts every other outing. I guess I kind of exagerate some though, because I count minor breakages as somthing being broken (like puncturing a hole in the fuel tank, tearing a rubber pipe coupler from the header pipe, burning up clutch shoes, etc.)
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPK0geyRtI]This video[/link] ends with a little strange driving thanks to a broken upright, plus I rang a gate pole with it after missing a jump. See Jim, you are not alone....
LOL, the classic gimped-wheel Savage! Been there and done that too many times! That is the reason why I want to give HPI_Savage_RC's mod a try.

As for that dirt pile, ****DROOL!*****[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I used to live near alot of housing construction, and hills like that were abundant! Now, not having any around close by, I actually go through hill-withdrawals. I now literally have to drive like 15miles to go someplace suitible to run RCs (angry neighbors and all) and worse, have to drive around a bit before I can find a decent jumping hill or slope. []
Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

I've also driven around with one rear wheel flopping around on numerous occasions. I used to swap the right and left rear knuckles and keep driving, but I have a bunch laying around with both tabs broken off. Since installing the braces, the breakages are a thing of the past. Now the only parts I trash on a regular basis are shocks.[:'(] I'm thinking about trying 8 HPI nylon big bore shocks, as they are similar in construction to the stock shocks, but have larger diameter shafts.