Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

This guy has some nice stuff - anyone try any of it

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

This guy has some nice stuff - anyone try any of it

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
yoster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This guy has some nice stuff - anyone try any of it

Check out his store.

His arms look really beefed up. And the shocks are 3.5mm thick! All of his products actually seem to be quality items, even those CVD's. I'm about to order his shock set; anyone with experience with these particular parts?

http://stores.ebay.com/Hi-iQ-Telecom...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: This guy has some nice stuff - anyone try any of it

I would like to know who makes all this stuff. Also Why would you go aluminum?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
yoster

Beats me; I would stay plastic on the arms and whatnot, but I like how all his parts seem custom made and not the typical re-badged chineese stuff. The vertical plates look custom, as with the other parts; like he put some thought into them. The main thing are the shocks; man I've been looking for some threaded shocks (other than the LST ones) that are actually GOOD. To date I've stuck with the stock plastic ones, but EVERY time I go out I end up pulling a shock-cap off. It's a quick fix, but annoying (but messy when all the oil comes out the top when the tops strip off). These, since they actually look purpose built and not just all for show, may be just the ticket I'm looking for. They're not a fortune either.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
twomanytoys

Well I dont want to rain on your parade but I think they could maybe be Chinese stuff. I found just about everything this guy had on other ebay auctions from China. Like these shocks for instance. These are almost identical except for the bottom. Same springs, bodies adn everything. I just dont want you to make a bad decision. There is alot of cheap stuff and you never really know who makes it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2BSI%26otn%3D4
Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 PM
twomanytoys

Your guys shock towers
http://cgi.ebay.com/2Pcs-ALU-SHOCK-A...742.m153.l1262

Chinese shock towers
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Shock-T...742.m153.l1262

Identical.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
yoster

Well let me ask this then. I know aluminum shocks in general have a bad rep due to problems with bending. That said, my ST's use aluminum threaded shocks, and I just love the functionality. Chinese or not, do you feel that the extra .5mm thickness to the shock shaft may solve the common bending problem?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
twomanytoys

The thickness will help but not knowing what metal is used can make a difference. You can have a smaller titanium shaft be stronger than a thicker cheaper steel shaft. Its a crap shoot when it comes to no name rc parts. Anyone can order a bunch of parts from a Chinese supplier and call it thier own. Like in this case. I have been in RC for 20+ years and have seen it all. I was even cought up in it when Integy came out. I thought it was the coolest stuff till they got my money and I tossed a bag of bent cheap aluminum in the trash. Talk about crap!. For $ 65.00 is it worth the try? Or you can just order the HPI big bores or do the Losi shock setup. Heck for all I know these shocks may be a good upgrade but without actually reading about them or trying them we will never know. I do know it wont be me being a gunea pig with teh Chinese stuff.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
yoster

Yeah I hear you. I've had great luck with airplane stuff from hobbycity.com (such as their lipo's, motors, servo's, etc). I've witnessed the exact opposite with RC car items however. I guess I'll stick with the stock plastic shocks for now.. maybe just get another set of 8 so that I can quickly swap them out when one starts leaking (then repair the leaky one while it's off the vehicle).
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM
twomanytoys

I get tons of stuff from Hobby city. Lipos, brushless stuff etc. Not saying that all chinese stuff is bad but for the most part.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 AM
eatmydust99

I've bought some savage diff housings from this guy and they actually come in GPM parts bags, never had any problems with them worked great.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 AM
ArancioC5

he is chinese and sells products made in china where the world at whole gets their stuff made. The issue isnt where it's made, it is more about WHO made it. Alot of these aluminum parts are made from cheap grade metals. I personally would use aluminum sparingly because it is a very soft metal by nature, and heavier then plastic. I'd only use it in areas where plastic is too flexible such as steering parts, shock towers etc.

Aluminum shocks dont bend easily, but a shaft can bend on any shock. That is why they make re build kits and I would not go out and spend money on a shock that cant be re built. If you are blowing off caps then just buy aluminum caps.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
bzinfinity

I have 11 HobbyCity/HobbyKing LiPo packs.

They have matched my ThunderPower and FlightPower packs, hands down. Not to mention they were 1/8 of the cost or less per pack.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
yoster

I don't think aluminum caps on a plastic cylinder would do any good at all.

Well maybe I'll be the test subject. I'm interested in the 3.5mm shaft.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Actually aluminum caps on a plastic body are quite good.

The problem is the length of the shocks, and it being made entirely out of aluminum, rather than a flexy plastic housing.

Look at ThunderbirdJunkie's Hellfire shocks. they are shorter and much beefier. The length is what makes aluminum Savage shocks a bad idea.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
ArancioC5

it helps alot but no not as well as all aluminum. Buy cheap = buy twice is my motto and 9/10 times it serves as truth.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
yoster

I agree, but are there ANY all aluminum shocks for the Savage that are any good? All I have ever heard is either: Stick with the stock plastic, go LST shocks, go HPI Big Bore shocks, go truggy shocks with the shorter shock tower.

I want shocks that are the same length as the savage shocks, that are aluminum (I want them threaded for easy adjustments), and don't suck
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Van Pelt

Looks like nice stuff for a shelf queen....
Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 PM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Dude I'm with you on wanting the all aluminum shocks, I want to get to haveing one shock at each corner to hopefully get clearance for the header that came with my 086 pipe. But I'd asked around the forum about those shocks only they were silver and purple, and everyone said exactly what you've been hearing "JUNK". In light of that I've decided to start with the Flux stock plastic big bores and upgrade to the alum big bores later. I'd rather wait a bit to and pay $20-$30 more than dump $65 in the trash to try something out that someone else has already tried and said is garbage.