Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

A used Savage X

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
wrxrocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A used Savage X

I just bought a used savage x and the owner said that it has 3 speed tranny. How do I check for that by just looking? Is that a visual differences between two speed and three speed on the outside of the tranny case?

This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
boricuarc

Default RE: A used Savage X

Hi: I'm new too but just make a search on towerhobbies and look the 2 transmission picture ans looks if you see a difference.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
wingedwheel-0420
Banned

i think the difference is on the inside of the tranny,the case is the same.if im not mistaken
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
bigwaltc

I'm pretty sure the case's are the same The dimensions and screw hols are the same. They made the gears thinner to fit that's why BudBud keeps blowing away third [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM
wrxrocks

I see. I should just keep 2 speed then. I don't want to keep on burn the gears.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM
BudBud

It is, look through the adjuster holes in the side of the case, under the brake lever. There will be a rubber plug, or should be.. anyway, pull the plug. If you see a wide black gear in the front hole, it is a two speed. The final drive on the left in a three speed is very narrow. When you look towrds the rear of the case, through the back hole, you should see the narrow final drive. The front gear is not black and is narrower on the three speed.... Confusing as mud? Glen

I uploaded what it looks like through the inspection holes, but RCU gallery is hyper slow today.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: wrxrocks

I see. I should just keep 2 speed then. I don't want to keep on burn the gears.
Well no for a stock X or XL the three speed is fine no problems BudBud runs High power modd PICCO'S with a lot more power and torque then a stock 4.6 or 5.9 [sm=shades_smile.gif]
And very high gears
Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
BudBud

There is what you will see looking through the holes, three speed on the right. The three speed will take big power, like the Picco 28, it will take high rpm, like a modded Picco 28 and it can drive big tires, like the Terra Pins. But.... If you pair up a Picco 28, Terra Pins and then gear it way up... and try to run high speeds, the load and rpm seems to be too much... and you get a final drive gear that looks similar to that one below.... I have five of those now, I have decided not to push the three speed that hard anymore....

Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
wrxrocks

Thanks a million for the pic. I'll look through the holes and see if it is a 3 speed or not.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
wrxrocks

I have a 3 speed, however the gears are worn out (I took it apart). Now the question is should I get another 3 speed (more $) or get a 2 speed (less $). Is there a big different between the 3 speed and the 2 speed? Thanks again guys