Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Video of the Axial .28 is up

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video of the Axial .28 is up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQP4R61R8oQ

Got a chance to run the axial some more today and get some video. What do you guys think? Im pretty happy with it so far[8D]

First start in the video was from dead cold, sitting all night. It was 56* outside when i took it out to run. The start in the middle of the vid was after refueling, and i didnt reprime it, so im guessing it primed itself after a couple pulls. Starts pretty well though[8D]

Eric
Old 03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
BudBud

Default RE: Video of the Axial .28 is up

I just watched it and your earlier 25 videos. Looks like I was right on, more low end snap and less speed. It was getting a lot more ground speed on the 25, but it is doing a much better job of picking up the front tires now. I think the difference in how they pull second gear is amazing. I think the 25 walks all over the Axial once it hits second and starts pulling some rpm. The tune sounds good! You have a good ear for that!

It will be interesting to see if it picks up any more power as it gets more fuel through it. You might see if a buddy has an 086 or 053 pipe for you to try on it. Glen
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
cummins driver

Thanks Glen! I think it'll be a little better on the top end once i get a 47t spur back on it. I dont think it will really effect it pulling the wheels either. This thing has some pretty good torque! A 47t spur will bring some top end back. Im really liking it so far. If i hold the rear of the truck and hold some down pressure on it, and gas it, the axial will eat the tires off. My .25 would spin them, but it would never really get into the power band, although a better clutch may have helped it out.

Thanks on the tune. It seems to be pretty dialed in for the most part. Although it changes a little from a full tank to an almost empty one as all savages do.

I might have to keep my eye out for a cheap pipe. It will probably be this summer before i pick one up though.

Over all im happy. If i ran on the road a lot, or in a parking lot, i might be wanting a little more top end, but for running around the yard, and hills, it seems about right. Especially since i dont want to destroy my drivetrain yet

Eric
Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Brent Davis

Sounds and runs pretty good. It seems a tad rich BUT that may be fine since you are still in the break-in stage a little.

Keep the vids coming.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM
eatmydust99

What was the temp running at? seems like it running quite rich on the hsn yet because it's taking way to long before it shifts to second, the low end sounds nice. My old .25 did around 35 on a radar gun when I switched to a axial .28 I was up to 38 and 39 on stock gearing.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, it usually is rich on the first half of the tank, and then leans itself a little from there as the fuel level gets lower. Id rather let it run a little rich for part of the tank than try and retune everytime i fill it up[8D]

It actually seems pretty good on fuel. I was worried it might drink it pretty hard, but it doesent seem much worse than the .25, which i also thought was pretty good on fuel.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
cummins driver

As for temperature, I dont have a temp gun, so who knows.

Like i said, it does start out a little rich, but usually does pretty good once it warms up and the tank is ran down below half. You'll notice sometimes it shifts perfect, and accelerates good, but others it takes a minute. Its usually either cold, or has a full tank then.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Sounds good and looks fun for sure.I have a Jp-3 on my Axial 28 and couldn't be happier great pipe and they can be had pretty cheaply.Have fun and keep vids coming.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
hans4811

Very nice...wheelie monster!! Def more low end than your 25 as it seems you couldn't keep your front wheels down.[sm=what_smile.gif]

Nice tuning job as Glen says...

Your dog seems about as disinterested in the whole thing as mine does..lol (except when I chase em with it).
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
cummins driver

We have 2 younger jack russels, and i chase them when i can(they are scared of it), but our border collie in the video is about 16 years old, and the poor thing cant hardly get around or hear as it is, so i leave her alone

It definately is a wheelie monster. Thanks for the compliment on the tune too[8D] Im real happy with it. We will see how many gallons it will run until it dies.

This nitro thing is starting to get hard on the wallet now that i have a reliable nitro truck. Doesent take long to go through some fuel when you're having this much fun Its well worth it though
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool vid, and your dog is so chill. Glens right, good ear for tuning cummins!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 PM
3-172IN MTN

You seem to sound like you have some half tank lean issues, which in fact can take some fun out of the whole experience. I know when I go outside I want it to run the same from the beginning of the tank till the end.

I have seen to cut teh fuel lines as short as possible and turn the fuel nipple on the carb towards the boy of the carb. This will almopst but eliminate the HTL issue, and make it so you can tune once and then forget about it for a while.

Just my .02...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 PM
cummins driver

Yep, i think i will do that before i run it again, along with maybe putting some new fuel line on it anyways.

I do have some issues with the half tank lean, so hopefully shortening the line will fix it. Its hard to get a good tune with it doing it since by the time you are tuned for the 1st half of the tank, you need to tune for the 2nd half.

Ill be giving it a shot soon though. Guess ill just have to run faster for the roll overs
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 PM
3-172IN MTN

I made a comment about that once that someone took to oheart and it got deleted.(running to the truck) So, I will leave that one alone

I tell you I shortened the line and the HTL issue was almost completely gone. It is worth the 2 minutes of work.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 PM
cummins driver

Well, ill give it a shot for sure, because it sure cant hurt anything!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 PM
3-172IN MTN

I have one more reccomendatios as well. A WHEELIE BAR!! saves on the cardio while you are running your truck...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, i may have to do something about that Not like i couldnt use the exercise though
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 AM
3-172IN MTN

It was something like that that got my post deleted.

I think I said if you cannot run 100 yards then you need to do a little more excersize!!!

I did not mean any harm before and was not directing it at anyone, just explaining.

If you get the wheelie bar you can start to ride out the wheelies a little bit.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFAvY1_NcD0]Wheelies on the bar..[/link]

Dont mind the crash, and it was cold that day. Plus I changed the carb before this run and did not tuning on it at all.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 AM
cummins driver

Yeah, some people get tore up over the littlest thing. I think thats most of what is wrong with this country today is that everyone gets their feeling hurt and goes crying about it. Thats a whole nother topic though

Watching your video, I think my clutch is really needing replaced. Its grabbing pretty bad even with a low idle. I was watching yours just sit still with the idle that high. Watch in the beggining of this vid with the axial how my tires spin when i pick it up, and the truck still wants to go even with it idled down real low. Yours is sitting there with no problems idling way faster. Im definately gonna have to get an aluminum clutch soon. Its a wonder the axial will pull the wheels with the clutch grabbing so quick. I guess it has pretty good torque being a .28. I think it would be a lot snappier and more responsive with a better clutch though.

What do you guys think? My clutch seem to be grabbing too much down low? Like i said, i know one of the shoes is broke completely at the pivot point, but its working, so ill run it till i can get something better.

Oh, and nice wheelie video! I think ill have to practice a lot to get that good with my throttle control
Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
3-172IN MTN

You can go on eBay and get the whole kit for like 16 dollars(clutch shoe kit). If they are dragging that will make your mill run hot and that is a bad thing.

You can also aquire the wheelie bar for 16 bucks on ebay as well.

As the wheelies in that last video go, that was a mistake. It was running pretty rich and the needles had not been touched, I went to the park to run my 28 and it would not start(now I know why) and it made me mad, so I ran this truck and it just lifted the front up enough to make it go forward, it was so rich on the top it did not have the power to really throw it over. The idle is killer high in that video.

That is my first Picco motor. I have got one at the magicians house in canada now that I am anxious to tinker on. I might have to throw a motor in my X soon and just beat the snot out of it.

I have a couple of Picco 27's sitting back at home one that I dont know if it will run and one that runs great but is to close to the end of its prime.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM
ShoestringRacer

Nice vid. I'd be interested to hear your long term results with the engine. I have the same Axial NIB that I bought two years ago when they were talked up big but since then I've read so much good and bad it's hard to know what to think. I guess I'll have to install it and see for myself!

As for your clutch, it's possible the springs have lost some tension causing it to engage at lower RPMs. I've never tried them but some people run 1.1 clutch springs...which you probably know. Of course, the shoes still can be worn.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 AM
cummins driver

I will definately give a long term report. I have almost a gallon through it right now, and it has been perfect so far. Starts good every time and im still on the 1st glow plug.

I seem to have some tuning issues on the LSN, but i think it is because my clutch is dragging. My 2.5 maxx did the same thing with weak clutch springs. But it idles perfect, and always runs great on the top end. Starts right up as long as its primed right too.

Ill definately see how many gallons i can get through it. [8D]
Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
FRENCHBLUE72

Nice video driver I love my axial motors only problem I have with them is the front bearing issue but I bought a pack of ten off e-bay for ten bucks and when ever it starts to leak I simply replace it. Also the axial was the first engine I rebuilt myself and its still running after about 3 gallons.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
jsflagstad

So I have seen quite a few of these Axials around at my LHS's. I have seen the .28 S Spec and R spec and a .32. I hear that the .32 is an RC Boat anchor, but which one of the .28's is the better of the 2?

JSF
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM
FRENCHBLUE72

Idk about the rr but I have the 1s and its a good beginner engine(as I am a noob)and runs really well for me. I also have the .32 and would have to say I was not impressed with it and so it sits in the t-maxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.