Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

first parts breakage on my XL

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Brent Davis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first parts breakage on my XL

The truck ran hard all weekend with about 2 hours total run-time. I am more than pleased with this truck and really have no complaints since it did bust a rear differential bearing and that damaged the stock plastic diff case where the bearing sits. I am thinking about just buying a aluminum diff case, new gears and lock the rear diff and be done with it. I did do a search and found alot of good information too on Maximizer diffs but all the information on aluminum cases was too old and the links didn't work anymore.

Thanks for any insight on this.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 AM
BudBud

Default RE: first parts breakage on my XL

That is kind of a freak deal Brent, I run them all the time and have not had that happen, yet! Glen
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Brent Davis

I wanna say that it was just that, a freak thing because it all looks very beefy but since I gotta go in there and fix it, I figured I might as well go ahead and upgrade it to an all aluminum gearbox and all.

What you think about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-85235-SAVAGE...3286.m20.l1116
Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Brent Davis

What it was doing was the rear tires weren't pulling at all. I knew something was wrong when no more wheelies were there and it just didn't accelerate like I know it was supposed to. I held the rear tires and gave it some throttle and saw the rear driveshaft turning the drive-cup for the differential but also heard the gears grinding agaisnt each other like they weren't contacting enuff. After taking it all apart, you can see where a bearing failed on the diff case and that ate away at the plastic and caused the gears to not have the proper mesh and stop pulling in the rear. the gears though are waht shocked me as they are still together with all teeth but I am going to replace them anyways for the peace of mine knowing that I installed some new ones.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 AM
BudBud

Looks heavy! I have hammered on these things with some pretty potent power and about all I break is uprights, shocks and pinions. The pinions fail when landing jumps under power or on high speed cartwheels, which I seem to have quite the talent for. Glen
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Brent Davis

maybe it was just a faulty bearing. Oh well with your insight, I will just order a new set of plastic diff cases, new bearings and diff gears and put it back together. You ever locked a diff out on one of yours yet?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

By plastic diff. case you mean plastic bulkhead, right? Because the diff' case is aluminum.

I have a Maximizer lock in the front of my X4.6 and it works really well in off-road appications, but no so well on pavement.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
bigwaltc

I got two new bulkheads complete with gears and drive cups out of a XL from one of the chop shops on eBay for 19.00/21.00 [sm=shades_smile.gif]