Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hight Speed Wabble

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
barrydidntknow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hight Speed Wabble

Notice tht at full throttle My XL find of swayed back and forth. Dint send it out of control but it seems to me there is too much play from the front end. I can move the front tires left or right almost 3/4 inch be for getting any resistence from the steering servo. This seems a bit strange to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58uOM...e=channel_page

If this is normal play what else can it be?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hight Speed Wabble

check your linkages and your servo saver.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 AM
barrydidntknow

So what I noticed is that the interior servo saver tower( with the big spring) moves alot. When I put pressure on it it stops moving and removes the play. The manual has no real info on tightening it up. Am I correct in assuming I need to remove the servo/battery tray to get at the top of it where I can tighten it down.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 AM
spoonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. The fix. Buy a new one. Its worn out on the inside where the black metal spacers fit. I have tightened all my linkages up and everything. But no, remove the front end, not the whole thing. Skid and bumper. then remove you battery pack and receiver tray. Tighten the 2 black screws inside the radio tray and then underneath make sure there is 4mm space between the end of the servo saver and the servo saver nut. Tighten all the black screws that hold the linkages together while you are there.

Look here. HPI instructions on SS Kit. Will be the same for the XL, just scroll till you find what you need. http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/861/

Just click on manual.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Mine would do that too. I didnt really notice it on acceleration but more on deceleration. The truck would sway side to side. I ended up buying a new steering linkage, and tie rods, then I upgraded to the bearings in the steering linkage.

I dont know if it is the same for the XL but the X can have berrings put in instead of those little plastic bushings. You dont have to buy the expensive Option part up grade.

Here are the bearings I used. 7.99 for all 4.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJBG0

Or 13.99 for the Option Parts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEUZ3&P=OW
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
bigwaltc

HPI bearings are junk try here http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=i...=1&prevstart=0 They are very cheep but I read on this Forum that they are very reliable [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
barrydidntknow

Thanks spoon. Ya know after I ran my XL for real(after break in) I heard something rattling. Turns out is was one of the large screws in the bottom of the battery tray. Tighten that up and found one of those cheap plastic rings on the floor while vacuuming. Guess where that belonged. I had a day of running and tuning without it. No wonder I didnt have the wabble before. Took it all apart and re assembled it. Much less play in the front end and the towers are much tighter. Thanks for the help. Gonna have to get the bearing set at some point. Actually it was a good thing as I got the chance to re set the throttle servo position, it wouldn't allow full throttle so no wonder I could get into third gear and my brakes sucked.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 AM
BANKRUPTER

barry them bearings are a buck a pop at smf store. http://www.storefront.smfstore.com/
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: barrydidntknow

Thanks spoon. Ya know after I ran my XL for real(after break in) I heard something rattling. Turns out is was one of the large screws in the bottom of the battery tray. Tighten that up and found one of those cheap plastic rings on the floor while vacuuming. Guess where that belonged. I had a day of running and tuning without it. No wonder I didnt have the wabble before. Took it all apart and re assembled it. Much less play in the front end and the towers are much tighter. Thanks for the help. Gonna have to get the bearing set at some point. Actually it was a good thing as I got the chance to re set the throttle servo position, it wouldn't allow full throttle so no wonder I could get into third gear and my brakes sucked.

definitely get your truck setup, your modded 28 is going to be on its way shortly.... do you have a upgraded throttle linkage ?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
barrydidntknow

I ordered the bearings last night. What upgraded linkage do you suggest? I want this thing set up for the picco so any other parts suggestions would be great. So far all I have aside from stock is the roll cage, center skid plate, upgraded stearing servo. My 086 pipe is on backorder from tower until "early april" and I am awaiting the arrival of my wheelie bar. Got plenty of o'donnell's fuel. Any other suggestion would be great.