Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Flux tranny blows

Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM
flyexperimental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Flux tranny blows

I have read that the flux has had problems chewing up pinion gears. My Flux ate up one pinion gear.Made one more run and the tranny locked up.The drive gear in the tranny is missing all of its teath but two or three.Has anyone ran into this problem yet ?
Joe
Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
MGT

Default RE: Savage Flux tranny blows

What Lipos are you using and the specs. Sounds like you need to tune it. With a system like this you can't have everything. From what I know you need to tune the punch control. I would just get the tuning kits and make it custom for your needs. There are plenty of people running this set-up without problems.

The tranny does not blow...22.2 volts at 100% is insane power ive heard people saying it's like 4hp but instant. People dont get it. 5 years ago this was unheard of in a RTR. I had a e-maxx with 3300 stick packs and I got 8 min of run time. It did about 30mph and would wheelie. This is another level and these parts can only be pushed so far.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM
flyexperimental

I think I have been driving it mildly.If you don't it is on its back.Mostly driven in my 2 acre short grass yard and smooth clay dirt.I have not been doing any of the stupid stuff guys have been doing on the vids that have been posted.I have been running 7.4 and 11.1 lipos.I am smooth on the throttle,if not it is on its lid.Truck has about 20-30 cycles on it.I am new to these trucks,but metal on metal gears with no oil in a tranny does not seem right to me.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
MGT

Ahh I see where the problem lies. 20-30 pack runs. There is a section just for maintenance in the manual. After every 10 runs you MUST check the motor, tranny, spur, pinion, shocks, diffs, and the radio. It's simple...top of the line race products need to be watched closely. 1:1 scale drag car's get a full engine rebuild after a 1/4mile of running. Sure they are 8000HP but the same idea go's for the flux.

You must regrease the gears and keep up with it. If this isnt done after time problems will happen no matter what.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
usmc_VTOL_mech

flyexperiments
2fast is absolutely correct
With a truck such as the flux and the insane amount of power it delivers parts are gonna experience accelerated wear
I lost my top aluminum drive gear in the tranny at pack #38
I knew it was going because i check everything after every 5 packs or so
Pinion went at pack 45
Look at it this way....the top gear can finally give and it costs under 10 bucks....works for me
Better than having to replace ALL the transmission gears
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
SSOOCH

God I love that the Flux is being described as a top fuel funny car! The power is just amazing. It makes me giddy!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 PM
flyexperimental

I am not complaing .I have no problem throwing parts at it to keep it running.I just ordered a twelve pack of pinions and drive gears.All the technology in the Flux with all this power.A sealed tranny with oil to keep metal on metal gears lubed and cool is not asking much.I had lubed the pinion 4-5 times it did not help,it still wore out.If the tranny neeeded lubed I firgured it would have some lube from the factory.The FLUX is still a keeper!!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
fb5b

The pinion I have a robinson racing 20t hardened pinion for when the stocker goes, the top drive gear I think is the one part that will go every 30-40 runs. That and slipper pads.