Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Radio Box Management

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 PM
01s0uljah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Radio Box Management

Can you guys post up pictures on how you manage all your wires and plugs in the radio box? Its frustrating to keep closing the lid on a wire causing it to crimp.. I've also got a Futaba R603FF Receiver and the wire gets in the way of the switch.. its anooying.. I just wanna see just pictures on what you guys do to manage it.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Savage Radio Box Management

What radio box do you have? X style, or the older style?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 PM
01s0uljah

Sorry I forgot to mention.. Its the X style
Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

I have a Ofna fail-safe, and long wires from the two Hitec servos and I manage to have everything nice and snug in there. I just cram everything in the little spot near the on/off switch and tuck all the wires under/in the antenna wire.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the old style box. Adding a fail-safe wasn't easy, but it did all manage to fit. I added a charging jack just above the ON/OFF switch, so no room there. Being stubborn and having a little patience works.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:56 AM
jrock0012

I also have the x style with a fail safe and I tuck most of my wires including the Ofna fail safe right beside the hump pack, seems to be enough room there, don't get me wrong it is a little cramped
Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
-SomeGuy-

Im still using the 25 box and put most of my wires between the servos. Yes its a PITA sometimes but once you get it done once the wires take the shape and go back with a little more ease.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ZIP TIES, i just fold the wires on top of them selves a few times and get um to the right lenght then zip tie um like that its pretty easy, with the X style box, i could fit my duratrax fail safe, HPI reverse mixxer and 3 servo's a larger reciever and a hump pack it was tight but everything fit fairly well yeah sometimes it was a pain to close but it didn't take too much...

the lug
Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM
01s0uljah

Any pictures you guys can post up?

My 2.4ghz receiver has the antenna wire right where the switch wire is.. and the 2.4ghz wire snaps quite easily..
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I have the old style with 3 servos one for reverse. My radio has a built in fail safe so not worries there. I had to cut a hole in the top to run my wire fore the temperature sensor out of and I all so have a charging jack coming out buy the RX switch. It all fits and so far in 10 plus gallons never pinched a wire.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15007.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1172852  
Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
01s0uljah

So I've attach a Y harness in my radio box so i can charge without taking everything apart.. And I have absolutely no room for anything..

The little gap in the middle isn't doing it anymore.. Does anybody know what the middle section is for? I was thinking I would Cut a hole through the other side and route some wires through that so i can hide some.. is that for a 3rd servo or something?

Here are some pics of how many cables i have..

Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM
PrjctStrtFrce

I have the X box with Ofna fail-safe, two Hitec servos (very long wiring), hump-pack wiring, and the XL charging port...and I just got it all snug up in there a few hours ago .

I cram everything in the hole that s by the on/off switch and tuck things under the receiver, while routing the battery wire around the battery and up by the receiver.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
true2dz

This is what i did to mine i got rid of the original box and istalled this one This might be way off of what you are talking about but this set up is very nice[8D]
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
01s0uljah

That setup looks nice but not for me..

THe middle servo section in the radio box of the X SS.. I wanna just cut that crap outta if and run all my wires through there...

How'd you guys mount your charging jack? I made a Y harness myself and I wanted to see how I can mount it on tight
Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 AM
01s0uljah

Update:

So I drilled a hole through the middle servo box and routed the battery connection, and the 2 servo connections so the wires are hidden under the truck.. Now another thing I ran into was the box not closing on easily. I know the lid is supposed to just fit right on without any pressure pushing down and click right into place..

But now i have to put a bit of pressure on the lid and turn the lock while holding it down.. It seems like the 3 connections going into the receiver are being cramped down on the lid.. I'm afraid this is eather (A) Put more shock towards my receiver while doing jumps. Or (B) Crimp the wires as they are being completely flattened..

Whats your take on this?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
PrjctStrtFrce

If everything is just snug, then it will be fine, but if you are crimping the wires under any of the sidewalls, then they may get sliced sooner or later.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
01s0uljah

As of now i'm not crimping any wires.. but the 3 wires that sit on top of the receiver are being flattened with force from the radio box and I feel as if its putting too much pressure towards the receiver. The last thing I want to do is replace this $100 Futaba Receiver.. =X

Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2009, 11:27 PM
01s0uljah

Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
ShoestringRacer

One way to deal with excess wires it to, if your servos and switch are commited to your Savage, cut out the excess amount of wire and solder the wire back together. At least you don't have to fold long wires 10 times over and shove them in the corners of the box or whatever we all have to do.

Totally cramped radio boxes really piss me off. Don't these companies design and build RC cars..so how can they make something so easy so impractical? Don't the guys that design these things ever use them?...I mean at least just enough to see if it is at all practical??
Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree 100%, too much wiring is an eyesore and a PITA as far as managing your batt box. I do not run any soret of failsafe in my Savages, my RXs all have FSs built-in, I just program the FS from the radio and run!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 AM
01s0uljah

Well, what I did was drill a hole through one end of the middle servo spot. (The other side had a hole already) And I routed some of the wires under.. My wire management look great now, but the only thing is the lid forcing down on my FASST receiver. Pics below!

Edit: My text in the pics didnt show up properly..

Left circle shows hole thats already there, Right circle shows hole thats drilled (Big enough so the JST connect can fit through)

Circle shows the area where wires are being forced and flattened down.

Just a pic for you guys to see how it looks overall