Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

THE Official HPI Savage Flux-HP Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE Official HPI Savage Flux-HP Thread

Whats the point not being able to do wheelies, thats half the fun IMO.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

Whats the point not being able to do wheelies, thats half the fun IMO.
Wheelies got old after I tore up every body I had. Got a new body waiting to be trimmed and installed.......hopefully this one will last a little longer than the other 5 I tore up. And if I ever wanted to go back into "body destroying" mode, all I would have to do is plug in the Castlelink and turn up the ESC....kinda hard to "swtich modes" quickly when you have changed out the chassis plates to lengthen the truck. Castlelink gives you the flexiblity to alter the personality of your Flux without mechanically changing a thing. Just my opinion.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
generis

ORIGINAL: black mamba
Wheelies got old after I tore up every body I had. Got a new body waiting to be trimmed and installed.......hopefully this one will last a little longer than the other 5 I tore up. And if I ever wanted to go back into ''body destroying'' mode, all I would have to do is plug in the Castlelink and turn up the ESC....kinda hard to ''swtich modes'' quickly when you have changed out the chassis plates to lengthen the truck. Castlelink gives you the flexiblity to alter the personality of your Flux without mechanically changing a thing. Just my opinion.
wow is that true. I've had tons of fun changing settings on the castle escs (mm and mmm and sidewinders) and it can really show the capability of modern electrics. Did you have to go right to 100 punch for non-wheelie, or what did you use?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Zinje

Shocks for bashing! Should I go with the LST setup or stick with the 8 big bores.Any other recommendations? I want to steer away from aluminums :P

What do you guys with more experience with the savage think?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Zinje

Shocks for bashing! Should I go with the LST setup or stick with the 8 big bores. Any other recommendations? I want to steer away from aluminums :P

I see no reason why you would want to take out the big bores and put in the regular 8 savage shocks unless you like the look of it, plus, thats 4 more shocks to take care off. Why? As i've said in other threads, the stock nylon big bores work very well on the Flux and I bash pretty hard, so I've seen no reason to upgrade mine other then changing the oil and putting on shock socks.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Zinje

Yeah i currently have the stock shocks that came with the flux. The stock shocksare nylon big bores right?Iwas deciding to add on 4 more to make it 8 or go with the LST shocks. Ikinda like the look of the dual shocks but wanted to make sure before Imake the purchase.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Shocks for bashing! Should I go with the LST setup or stick with the 8 big bores. Any other recommendations? I want to steer away from aluminums :P

Why do you want to use 8 shocks or even the LST shocks? The stock shocks on the Flux are great. I haven't had any issues with mine after 7 months of bashing it.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Allgood_73

Same here.... the stock Flux shocks have been great to me thus far.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Zinje

The stock flux shocks are big bore right? What weight oil you guys using in yours? Mine is still stock and it kinda has a hop while landing. Iwant it to stick the landings.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Freezetron

The stock flux shocks are big bore right? What weight oil you guys using in yours? Mine is still stock and it kinda has a hop while landing. I want it to stick the landings.
I was running 40 weight, but it makes the truck drive too stiff, so I'm gonna go back to the stock 25-30 weight. Your not gonna be able to prevent the stock Flux from rebounding on a landings, its simply too heavy with tires that act like balloons. You'd have to do a complete shock and tire makeover before you get it to behave like a truggy, which isn't not designed to be. You ever see a real life monster truck NOT rebound from a jump vs a Baja truck or buggy? Two different vehicles entirely with two different purposes.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: generis

ORIGINAL: black mamba
Wheelies got old after I tore up every body I had. Got a new body waiting to be trimmed and installed.......hopefully this one will last a little longer than the other 5 I tore up. And if I ever wanted to go back into ''body destroying'' mode, all I would have to do is plug in the Castlelink and turn up the ESC....kinda hard to ''swtich modes'' quickly when you have changed out the chassis plates to lengthen the truck. Castlelink gives you the flexiblity to alter the personality of your Flux without mechanically changing a thing. Just my opinion.
wow is that true. I've had tons of fun changing settings on the castle escs (mm and mmm and sidewinders) and it can really show the capability of modern electrics. Did you have to go right to 100 punch for non-wheelie, or what did you use?
90% is as high as I have gone and it severely numbed the truck. I usually will set it there (or I'll stick a fat hunk of foam weatherstrip tape behind the trigger to limit throttle movement) when I let a RC newb test drive it. lol. Anyways, I currently have it at 50% with a throttle curve that looks like a ski slope. It seems to be the sweet spot for my gearing/tire/battery combo and allows me to hammer the truck on 3S packs without hammering it per se. lol
Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
generis

Mine is still stock and it kinda has a hop while landing. I want it to stick the landings.
most of the hop tends to be tires. Firmer foams OR larger air vents will calm down most landing bounce. It's 90% tires and 10% shocks at that point, unless of course you have NO oil in the shocks.
With the stock tires, you need more small air holes around the rim, or it lands and makes a bouncing balloon in the tires. If you can let the air pressure out faster, it won't bounce.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Zinje

ORIGINAL: generis

Mine is still stock and it kinda has a hop while landing. Iwant it to stick the landings.
most of the hop tends to be tires. Firmer foams OR larger air vents will calm down most landing bounce. It's 90% tires and 10% shocks at that point, unless of course you have NO oil in the shocks.
With the stock tires, you need more small air holes around the rim, or it lands and makes a bouncing balloon in the tires. If you can let the air pressure out faster, it won't bounce.
Yeah i think you guys are right. It's probably the tire. So you have actually drilled holes through the rim? How many did you make and how big?

Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 PM
generis

if the foams are stiff and molded, I use 2x 1/8 inch holes in the inside of the rim. If it's a soft stock sort of foam, I use 2 more holes, or 2 x 1/4 inch holes (drill out the stock holes...) If that doesn'thelp the bounce, then add another hole. Does nothing else but cure bounce.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM
black mamba

I've also seen some serious monster truck racers make holes in the tire itself along the centerline. Just stay out of the water or mud with them if you do that. lol
Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Freezetron

A bump for those who have been very good this year and got a Flux under their tree [8D]
Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
black mamba

LOL. RC'ing outside is in hibernation here.....too much snow. But thankfully there's a stellar indoor track not too far from me.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
carldav

Good day,

Is there a way for me to use the reedy hard-cased batteries with the Flux? Stupid of me I did not know there are several types of LIPO casing..Newbie mistake.

Thanks
carldav
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99349.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1356157  
Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: carldav

Good day,

Is there a way for me to use the reedy hard-cased batteries with the Flux? Stupid of me I did not know there are several types of LIPO casing..Newbie mistake.

Thanks
carldav

I also have several lipos like yours but couldn't really figure out a way to use them in the Flux so I bought several hard case lipos from Losi that the wires came out of the end of the battery.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 AM
carldav

Hi All,

Was able to find a way fits ok in the battery box LHS sells specialized pins that would like an an L-shaped connectors.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40464.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1356424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65668.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1356425  
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Allgood_73

Got a question regarding my four batteries (SMC 2s 9000 mAh) for my Flux during the winter time:
Since I haven't ran my Flux in the last month or so... do my batteries need to be cycled through... or are they okay? I left them in the "store" state of a 60% charge.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
black mamba

I keep mine in store mode too when not in use. I run my truck at the track once a week, so my packs get cycled from use. If they were left dormant, I'd check them from time to time to make sure they don't drop below storage voltage, but they shouldn't drop all that much, if at all, if kept at room temp or thereabouts.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Freezetron

My flux is now for sale due to circumstances outa my control and I need the money

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=593949
Old 01-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Allgood_73

That's sad to hear ICE... we will miss having a fellow flux owner and I hope everything works out for you! Good luck on your sell. One question though: why aren't you selling the body with it if you no longer will be having a flux?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

My flux is now for sale due to circumstances outa my control and I need the money

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=593949
That sucks man! Too bad you couldn't keep the Flux and get another toy. Either way, $450 is a very fair price. Good luck on the sale. Maybe Thunderbirdjunkie will buy it and finally see the light! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.